July 26 - Padres vs Orioles

86this

Just now, vab said:

Things are tough right now no question but they have a cushion so they can still fight through this and make the playoffs. Getting there and getting hot then is the only thing that matters. 

I just know they are better than this. They look off. It’s beyond a slump.  

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think that in the middle of the game, as the ball is hit to him, Gunnar stops and tries to figure out how to look impressive as he fields it?

No.  But it is a habit he has gotten into.  I have noticed it for weeks if not since the start of the year. 

Do you disagree?

10 minutes ago, terpoh said:

What does that have to do with a short hopped throw that the 1B couldnt handle? You said that in today's game that error goes to the 1B. 

He threw it side armed.  Did you not see that? He had no reason to. Hence why the ball never got 2 feet off of the ground. 

Wtf?

He could have taken a step and thrown a normal overhand throw.  Very basic baseball.

Instead he tried to look cool. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

This is so frustrating to watch.   Horrible defense, underachieving hitters.

Then add the 403 frustration t rying to talk about the game here on OH.

I think I can actually feel my blood pressure rising.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

No.  But it is a habit he has gotten into.  I have noticed it for weeks if not since the start of the year. 

Do you disagree?

What basis do you have to believe that throwing sidearm is worse than throwing overhand? It's almost certainly quicker to throw it sidearm. And it's arguably easier on the throwing arm. I'm guessing Gunnar is coached to throw it however he feels more comfortable since there is not evidence to believe that throwing overhand is better in any way as a shortstop.

Norby has looked solid at the plate since coming up.   Maybe he has been infected yet with whatever virus has turned most of the batting order into zombies.   Show us what you can do!

Edited by SteveA

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

He threw it side armed.  Did you not see that? He had no reason to. Hence why the ball ever got 2 feet off of the ground. 

Wtf?

He could have taken a step and thrown a normal overhand throw.  Very basic baseball.

That being said the 1b should have had it.  Which goes back to the thread I was involved in yesterday.  Most first baseman can get what is thrown or hit to them.  It is an easy position to play.  MC should have had it but that doesn't mean it wasn't a terrible throw considering the conditions.

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

He threw it side armed.  Did you not see that? He had no reason to. Hence why the ball ever got 2 feet off of the ground. 

Wtf?

I guess I am trying to figure out how a score keeper in 2024's baseball should score that then. Side arm throw = error on SS, not side armed throw = error on 1B? Trying to look cool = error on SS, not trying to look cool = error on 1B? He throws everything side arm I dont think that play was any different. He took an awkward last hop that skipped low, then threw it how he always does. 

We're all frustrated so I am just taking that out here in the game thread, just having a hard time following your rationale. 

• Upvote 1