Is Mullins the next to go?

Why have Mullins, Cowser, and Pache, on the same roster?  Cowser/Pache that’s your CF platoon for the rest of this year and the future. Mullins is currently the 5th OF on this team. 

Seems like he has to go now even if only for team chemistry. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

Mullins > Pache

It is certainly possible that he is moved but I don’t think that they have a long-term need for Pache unless Jorge is done for the year, which could be the case.

Norby is going to get run in LF. Bank on it. .. unless he is dealt 

Edited by banks703

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why have Mullins, Cowser, and Pache, on the same roster?  Cowser/Pache that’s your CF platoon for the rest of this year and the future. Mullins is currently the 5th OF on this team. 

Seems like he has to go now even if only for team chemistry

If he is one of the malcontents I agree. Haven't really heard that yet about him.

He does seem redundant on this roster now, and he should have a little trade value, although not much. Would see what we would need to add to Mullins and Mounty to Seattle to get Luis Castillo. 

Would Mullins/Mounty/Beavers get us Castillo?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Seems like he has to go now even if only for team chemistry. 

Mullins even at his worst is a significantly better offensive player than Pache.  Pache has a career .515 OPS with 6 HR and 4SB/5CS in 496 ABs.   He brings great defense off the bench and some speed as a pinch runner, but not the ability to steal bases.  

I don’t see  Pache starting in a platoon.  Rather  Cowser plays every day - LF when Mullins plays, CF when Mullins does not play.  Also, this may be an opportunity for Norby to grab some ABs in the outfield.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, terpoh said:

He does seem redundant on this roster now, and he should have a little trade value, although not much. Would see what we would need to add to Mullins and Mounty to Seattle to get Luis Castillo. 

Would Mullins/Mounty/Beavers get us Castillo?

Why would Seattle trade for Mullins? They already have Rodriguez and just acquired Arozarena. And why would they give up Castillo for such a skimp package? Which one of those 3 players is a difference maker for them down the stretch of this season?

Do you think they need to shed salary? Otherwise, why would they trade from the multiple top 100 prospects that they currently have instead of weakening their rotation?

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Why would Seattle trade for Mullins? They already have Rodriguez and just acquired Arozarena. And why would they give up Castillo for such a skimp package? Which one of those 3 players is a difference maker for them down the stretch of this season?

Do you think they need to shed salary? Otherwise, why would they trade from the multiple top 100 prospects that they currently have instead of weakening their rotation?

Well I had posed the question- what would be needed to add to Mullins/Mountcastle to make it work. I'm not saying it would be a done deal. You didnt answer that, but I'll answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

Why would Seattle want them- Because they are one of the worst teams in baseball offensively and desperate for hitting help. They have a chance to make a deep run because of their pitching, and maybe they dont want to deal from that position of strength, but teams in contention will not want their prospects back.

Rodriguez is currently on the IL, and probably will remain so for several weeks. They have Robles, and could platoon Mullins with him in CF. Arozarena doesnt play CF at a high level and neither does anyone else on their roster. After JRod returns, whenever that may be, Mullins can still fill in at all 3 spots and be a pretty good late inning defensive replacement for them. So yea, Mullins probably does not have much value in a trade, but he fits a need for them right now, and is somewhat redundant for us at this point.

I think you are underestimating Mountcastle's trade value as well. He is a pretty significant instant upgrade for them at 1B. If they trade the few hitting prospects they have away, then maybe they find themselves in the same predicament they are in now when those guys are ready, but they are no longer in the organization. I just figured they may want to trade Castillo over one of the younger options like Miller or Woo because Castillo is far more expensive and he is aging. I dont know if they are looking to shed salary, but that always seems like a consideration with the middle/small market teams.

I think Pache's ability to stay on the roster depends on his ability to hit left-handed pitching.  He did that in 2023.   He has not been as good at it so far in 2024.

Edited by wildcard

13 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Well I had posed the question- what would be needed to add to Mullins/Mountcastle to make it work. I'm not saying it would be a done deal. You didnt answer that, but I'll answer your questions to the best of my knowledge.

Why would Seattle want them- Because they are one of the worst teams in baseball offensively and desperate for hitting help. They have a chance to make a deep run because of their pitching, and maybe they dont want to deal from that position of strength, but teams in contention will not want their prospects back.

Rodriguez is currently on the IL, and probably will remain so for several weeks. They have Robles, and could platoon Mullins with him in CF. Arozarena doesnt play CF at a high level and neither does anyone else on their roster. After JRod returns, whenever that may be, Mullins can still fill in at all 3 spots and be a pretty good late inning defensive replacement for them. So yea, Mullins probably does not have much value in a trade, but he fits a need for them right now, and is somewhat redundant for us at this point.

I think you are underestimating Mountcastle's trade value as well. He is a pretty significant instant upgrade for them at 1B. If they trade the few hitting prospects they have away, then maybe they find themselves in the same predicament they are in now when those guys are ready, but they are no longer in the organization. I just figured they may want to trade Castillo over one of the younger options like Miller or Woo because Castillo is far more expensive and he is aging. I dont know if they are looking to shed salary, but that always seems like a consideration with the middle/small market teams.

I think you answered your own question. Mountcastle and Mullins plus Beavers does not add up to the value of a Castillo.

No they are not going to want to trade any of their young starters especially not for non-difference making players who are only marginal improvements.

They are going to want to trade from their plethora of prospects as they have one of the best/deepest farm systems in the game. They are going to want impact players especially if they have to give up impact starting pitchers.

Is anyone really thinking that Pache's 2023 wasn't just a fluke, and he could be the RH side of a CF platoon? 

His average career OPS is 100 points lower than the average career OPS of freaking César Izturis. 

Pache isn't a major league hitter, and I'm not sure if any amount of coaching up is going to turn him into one. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Pache's ability to stay on the roster depends on his ability to hit left-handed pitching.  He did that in 2023.   He has not been as good at it so far in 2024.

I think Pache is just slightly more valuable than Tony Kemp.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I am one that doesn’t love to subtract much from a contending ML roster in season. I think Mullins is a glue guy and could come up big still. Even though he’s never matched his breakout season, he still had some big moments for us last year. His defense is still solid enough as well. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I think you answered your own question. Mountcastle and Mullins plus Beavers does not add up to the value of a Castillo.

No they are not going to want to trade any of their young starters especially not for non-difference making players who are only marginal improvements.

They are going to want to trade from their plethora of prospects as they have one of the best/deepest farm systems in the game. They are going to want impact players especially if they have to give up impact starting pitchers.

Only reason I brought those guys up is because someone posted that from the baseball trade values site. And Mounty alone lined up with Castillo as an even match. In fact, I think the value was in Mountcastle's favor like 15.5 to 14 something. I know that site isnt an exact science, but might speak to Mountcastles value being stronger than you think. So I was wondering what else we would need to add.