Gunnar has the yips. Its in his head now.

Gurgi

27 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

There’s probably 7 things Cal couldn’t have done in the last 7 days.

I agree he's rangier, but Cal had that positioning magic.     Old Cal has more recency bias in memory than young Cal, but I believe his chances totals were strong, even factoring in he played every inning.

It probably isn't apples to apples to look at Cal chances per 100 games, 1000 innings, whatever vs. Gunnar's with strikeouts more prevalent now.

I do not believe today Gunnar is the defensive shortstop Cal Ripken was.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Gurgi said:

A good player in Steve Sax was the first guy I remember having the dreaded yips.  Then Mark Reynolds had the yips in 2012 at third.  He only solved it when they moved him to first.  

Steve Sax was lost for very long time.

Now I think Gunnar has the yips.  I think it is in his head now.  Either he beats it down soon or it will get out of control.  

We can NOT win with him making a throwing error EVERY game.  

Yep. What do you think we can get for him? #3 starter with a year of control?

12 hours ago, Malike said:

He makes things harder than they need to be quite often. He often loves running to the bag for an unassisted DP, which takes more time and then he has to throw the ball harder. I wish he would feed the 2B more often and let them make the turn for the DP. I get it when he's right over the bag, but there have been many times he's had to make 4 or 5 steps to get to the bag before having to throw a seed to the 1B.

Bingo! He's showing off way too much with all his antics.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Someone in this thread made a great point.  Probably half his errors are from trying too hard to make an impossible play.   I can remember as far back in Pittsburgh where he tried to end a game with a DP.   Guys with the yips are afraid to throw the ball.  Henderson is the complete opposite of that.   He’s been throwing on the run for two years now.  That’s what he’s comfortable with.  All of a sudden people are saying he’s off balance, needs to set and throw, or he’s afraid to plant and pivot.   Moose has the post of the thread.   Gunnar isn’t the one with the yips.

Yeah, I'd dispute this some. He played 3B almost exclusively last year, he didn't make running throws for 2 years now. He's been doing it pretty exclusively this season.

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

Yeah, I'd dispute this some. He played 3B almost exclusively last year, he didn't make running throws for 2 years now. He's been doing it pretty exclusively this season.

There you go again.  He started 68 games at 3B last year and 64 at SS.   I would hardly call that “almost exclusively at 3B”.    

Just now, RZNJ said:

There you go again.  He started 68 games at 3B last year and 64 at SS.   I would hardly call that “almost exclusively at 3B”.    

Yeah, I just noticed that and was editing it. I posted quickly from my phone. The point still stands, it would appear that the vast majority of his errors are throwing errors, maybe you can look it up and let me know as I have family that actually likes to be around me and full-time work. I don't have 16 hours a day to validate myself on the OH. If indeed most of his errors are from throwing, then perhaps running while throwing isn't something he should continue.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Yeah, I just noticed that and was editing it. I posted quickly from my phone. The point still stands, it would appear that the vast majority of his errors are throwing errors, maybe you can look it up and let me know as I have family that actually likes to be around me and full-time work. I don't have 16 hours a day to validate myself on the OH. If indeed most of his errors are from throwing, then perhaps running while throwing isn't something he should continue.

Why do you get angry and take shots at me when you say something wildly inaccurate?   LOL

Find the time and look your own **** up.   

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I agree he's rangier, but Cal had that positioning magic.     Old Cal has more recency bias in memory than young Cal, but I believe his chances totals were strong, even factoring in he played every inning.

It probably isn't apples to apples to look at Cal chances per 100 games, 1000 innings, whatever vs. Gunnar's with strikeouts more prevalent now.

I do not believe today Gunnar is the defensive shortstop Cal Ripken was.

Cal sometimes even called pitches, thus he'd be where he needed to be and his range was not really as much of a factor in those cases. 

"Ripken had total recall on games and situations. He always knew the count, the hitter, the pitcher and the pitch. He knew, with a breaking ball coming, against a certain hitter, he had to be positioned more toward the hole. One year, he even called pitches for some of the Orioles' pitchers while he was playing shortstop. He didn't keep a little black book; it was all in his head. He had a mental scouting report on every pitcher he faced and on every hitter."

From an old Tim Kurkjian ESPN article.

Glad to see Westy taking pregame reps at shortstop. Guess he is it until Mateo returns. Besides everything else, I think Gunnar needs a day off now and then just like Adley does. He's not another Iron Man, IMO. He plays all out and sometimes over plays. I don't see him playing both games today and yet that really isn't a day off. He will probably DH game two. 

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Someone in this thread made a great point.  Probably half his errors are from trying too hard to make an impossible play.  

I think there is a lot of truth to this.  By my count, six of Gunnar's ten throwing errors were on plays where he tried to make a very difficult throw.  Here they are.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3