Mateo's injury may push Holliday to the majors

wildcard

To me that throw looked like the range a throw from 3rd would have. He’s played SS capably previously, but he obviously hasn’t played there in a long time. He’ll be fine as a backup SS….just needs to take more reps between games. 

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No he doesn’t.

Gunnar is a guy who will and should play 155+ games a year if he’s healthy. 

Now, it’s possible it’s at third and not SS (long term) but he’s not going to be sitting out games.

Agree with you completely. He's also just 23 and will continue to build up his body to withstand the rigor of the MLB schedule. He'll be fine over time. Sophomore slump is all this is. 

1 hour ago, Orange said:

Holliday won't get more than 130 AB's this year in the majors. Book it. (In other words: He'll still be rookie-eligible in 2025 no matter what.)

Agree, September Platoon call up at best.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

The rest of season?   In this heat?   I think he needs more time off to play at his best and put up the numbers the team needs from him.

Yeah, I think so.  Plenty of off days the rest of the way.  He's a young man very close to his physical prime.  I think he can handle it just fine.

I don't think he's making errors because he's tired.  I think he's making errors because he's making errors. 

1 hour ago, vab said:

I think we'll see Elias address this backup SS thing today. Bringing up a 20 year old who hasn't even been playing SS in the minors is certainly not the way to do it. 

Paul DeJong 

8 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Yeah, I think so.  Plenty of off days the rest of the way.  He's a young man very close to his physical prime.  I think he can handle it just fine.

I don't think he's making errors because he's tired.  I think he's making errors because he's making errors. 

Right..there could be some mental fatigue going on but one thing so many on this site don’t seem to get is that slumps happen in the field as well. 

Gunnar has some issues defensively.  He’s very good but he’s not elite. He’s not on the level of guys like Volpe, Witt and some others.

But right now, he’s just in a slump. Some could be mental, as it always is but it’s just a bad patch. He’ll be back to the above average defender he is very soon