O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

Pushes Suarez in the BP where he can get comfortable over the next couple months and I believe be a key BP in October. 

So instead of actually acquiring a good bp arm the better strategy is to take a struggling starter with decent stuff and try to make him "a key BP" arm in October? 

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Don't we actually need help in October? Like we had a 90% chance of making the playoffs as is. Or is the goal to just get there as some posters have asserting and then rely on "luck" like the 23' Rangers?

Once again,  they were likely to make the playoffs.  I don't think anyone questionable that. What that can't do is get there with a pen that's pitching 4+ innings multiple nights a week. 

Well, all I'll say is it's on them to get more out of Rogers which they apparently feel they can. Really happy for Norby and Stowers, especially Stowers. Those guys deserve a clear shot and now they'll get it. 

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

So instead of actually acquiring a good bp arm the better strategy is to take a struggling starter with decent stuff and try to make him "a key BP" arm in October? 

Still have a few hours to go, I wouldn't be surprised to see another trade for a BP piece as well. 

1 minute ago, Otter said:

I certainly understand the frustration from some at not acquiring a TOR or another mid-rotation starter.  However, the trade is actually quite fair if you look at it objectively.... a legit back end ML starter with 2.5 years of team control traded for two pretty good prospects.  This was a good job by Elias using blocked position player prospects to trade for team controlled pitching.  I actually really like Norby and Stowers and think both will become decent ML starters.  However, there was very little chance of either of them getting a legit shot here.  Norby was only playing because Mateo is hurt and Holliday is in AAA, and Stowers was blocked by a bunch of better LH OFers.  I'm also happy for Norby and Stowers because both will finally get the shot they deserve.

I don't have any issue with trading Norby and Stowers. It's what we received in return or should I say what we didn't acquire in return that is the issue.

Right now we are slated to go into October having to rely on this bullpen to be successful series after series in order to arrive at what I hoped was Elias' desired destination... the World Series.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

They traded extra players for a legit ML pitcher. 

And I bet they're not done, but this deal in a vacuum is fine.

It's not that long ago that Rogers was a top-tier pitcher and prospect, and unless you're convinced that injuries have just obliterated any potential the guy has, this is a solid trade. I know people believed that Norby could be the key piece in some kind of blockbuster deal, but what this trade should tell you is that that was a pipe dream. Rogers is an upgrade on Suarez/Irvin/Povich right now, and I would probably trust him more then Kremer given what Kremer's done lately.

This isn't an exciting deal by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not a bad trade. It's certainly not a disaster on paper unless Rogers is well and truly cooked. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Who said it's a better strategy? There's still time left, and there's certainly more than one way to get there.

Just now, ChosenOne21 said:

I really want to know what some of you think Connor Norby and Kyle Stowers are going to do at the MLB level over the next six years. Because while I think they'll both have value, I don't think either are much more than role-players on a team that wants to contend for the World Series.

Even assuming Trevor Rogers is who he is right now, he's at least a role-player in an area of desperate need for us right now.

I think they are a bit better than that, either could potentially average 2 WAR a season through their club controlled years. But I doubt either ever really moves the needle or makes an All Star team on the merits (the one player per team rule notwithstanding).

Even playoff teams has some players on there who are just guys, like Mountcastle, Hays, or Urias. Guys that contribute.

16 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Stop paying attention to prospect rankings, especially ones from the start of the year. They're woefully out of date at this point. Even the midseason rankings are usually unreliable because it's not until the end of season rankings happen that places like FG/BA/BP/etc. actually get to spend a lot of time talking to scouts to get a feel of what the industry feels about player's recent performance.

You're missing my point. It's not even preseason rankings. I'm just not high on either of those guys, and the fact that the Yankees got a controllable reliever (2.5 years) and didn't have to give anybody significant is a savvy trade. The Yankees have far better prospects than they gave up.

Here are my thoughts:

• Cowles is 24. Very possible he's a late bloomer, but he's putting up so-so numbers at AA.
  • Neely is an excellent bullpen arm, but as I mentioned before there are *better arms* in the Yankees system, and it speaks volumes to me that the Yankees would rather give those innings to Leiter than Neely. Yes, Neely has very high upside, but the point is they rather go for the definite + years of control rather than the unknown of a minor league bullpen arm

What I'm trying to convey here is that if the O's gave up similar type of prospects for Leiter, I'd be elated. 

2 minutes ago, Otter said:

I certainly understand the frustration from some at not acquiring a TOR or another mid-rotation starter.  However, the trade is actually quite fair if you look at it objectively.... a legit back end ML starter with 2.5 years of team control traded for two pretty good prospects.  This was a good job by Elias using blocked position player prospects to trade for team controlled pitching.  I actually really like Norby and Stowers and think both will become decent ML starters.  However, there was very little chance of either of them getting a legit shot here.  Norby was only playing because Mateo is hurt and Holliday is in AAA, and Stowers was blocked by a bunch of better LH OFers.  I'm also happy for Norby and Stowers because both will finally get the shot they deserve.

And Rogers is making $1.5M this year. With two more years of control and averaging 1-2 WAR, he basically saves Elias from having to spend $20-30M on pitching the next couple of years which he can use for extensions or free agents. The only problem is that Rogers doesn't really put us over the top in a seven game series.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Deadline is at 6 pm ET

8 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Do you have info on other trades that Norby and Stowers couldve been a part of? The market is the market. We got a back end rotation guy to improve our pitching staff for two guys that dont/wont play here.

What you just said is why teams don't stay competitive for longer lengths of time.  Value is value regardless of surplus. This stinks of a panic move.