O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

1 minute ago, DocJJ said:

Would the Tigers have traded Skubal for Norby, Stowers, and Basallo?

(Not that I'd want to part with Basallo, necessarily, but just wondering....)

I am assuming they chose to not trade Skubal. 

1 hour ago, RVAOsFan said:

I know we needed pitching but Norby leaving and being replaced by Vavra really hurts. Can't wait to watch Norby and Ortiz start for NL All Star team as the double play combination in a few years. Who knows maybe Gunnar and Holliday will represent the AL. 

@riprulz8 @PeteCanes thanks for the downvotes, care to share some feedback on why you take such an issue with the post?

I think if they would have, that deal would have been done already. I think they're probably asking for something along the lines of Basallo, Mayo, Norby, and another piece, given what people have been speculating with their price tag on him.

I've read in a couple of places they wanted 2 of our top 3 prospects for Skubal.

31 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

It all comes down to how you want to parse it. He pitched 18 innings in 2023 across four starts, so looking at 2022-24 as 3 seasons worth of starts is a bit misleading. He also only made 23 starts in 2022, including only 4 after July 25th, so he went a season and a third (July 25, 2022 through the end of 2023) making only 8 starts, going under 40 innings. 

His last 9 starts he has a 3.17 ERA, 4.23 FIP.

Seems like a decent bet to be a mid-rotation guy, better position than anyone currently on the roster to be the #4 starter (if not #3 ahead of Eflin), and is likely to be reasonably inexpensive through his remaining two arbitration rounds, given how much time he missed in 2022 and 2023.

I guess if we’re trying to figure out how to parse it, I’m not sure that cropping it to the most favorable possible span of time we can is the most accurate approach. I understand the appeal of saying this is what’s most recent, so it means the most — but we’re ignoring a lot of bad data if we’re just looking at 9 good starts.

Would also note that even in the “9 good starts,” he had a 4.76 xFIP that I suppose got parsed out for some reason. 

To me, I just don’t see any reason to think the 4.50ish ERA he’s rocking right now isn’t the most reasonable performance to expect moving forward this season. That won’t kill you as an SP5, but…it’s not great. Below-average is still better than terrible, so there’s some value in it, I suppose. 

Longer term, maybe they come up with a fix. Maybe the velo comes back. I dunno. There have been worse gambles, certainly. Not the dice I would have chosen to roll, though. 

Just now, J.D. said:

ERA is far from the best and most instructive stat to measure pitchers by. Kind of like measuring them by wins.

But the other poster's point is valid. Would you rather have a guy that pitches to a 3.00 ERA but had one start in which he got shelled for 10 runs in an inning, so his ERA is 4.00, or would you rather have a guy that just averages giving up 4 runs every game. I'd rather have the first guy personally. Odds are, you're going to get a much better outing out of him, and his advanced stats are probably better than the second guy's.

Lol, there is absolutely no comparison at all between these two stats. Wins are largely determined by run support. ERA is an actual reflection of on-field results by definition. 

A bad outing is overweighted in ERA just like a great outing would be too. 

2 minutes ago, J.D. said:

Most GMs have dozens of guys that they have given up on too early and have become successful reclamation projects for other teams.

Let's put it this way. Do you not think the Twins would have given up an arm and a leg to get back Yennier Cano from us last year? Of course they would have. Because they're focused on improving the team, period. If you let your ego get in the way of that, you're going to be out of a job really fast.

Let me put it this way.

I'm sure the scenario I posited has happened at some point.

Some folks sell something for five bucks won't buy it back for 20 even if they need it.

Edited by Can_of_corn

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Second base isn't the position to make comments about a player's height.

220px-Joe_Morgan_Reds_1972.jpg

licensed-image?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGVM066CVjtp5

It is when they don’t impact the game on the bases or in the field & strike out at a 28% clip. 

Im gonna need absolute thunder in the bat in that scenario. 

He’s no Morgan, Altuve nor Kent 

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

I get some of the negative reaction to this price, but the fact is that a young SP with 2.5 years of control is an expensive trade commodity. Even if they are not a TOR. 

The prayer is that he’s better than what we already have, and the fear is that he’s not.

And the burden of proof is on him.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think they do.

I think they have their system tuned to focus on college bats.

Last year they drafted more college pitchers than bats, in the top 15. Although I was surprised as well when i saw it.

We gave up more than I wanted, but unless a better pitcher gets traded today for a lower return, I'm okay with it. The prospect returns in the last day or two's trades have generally been pretty high. With our rotation in its current state, it's better than not making the deal, and indirectly gives us a reliever with Suarez moving to the pen.

• Upvote 1