O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

I'm trying to get this trade.  The market is nuts, as evidenced by the Kikuchi return.  He has some control left.  But he hasn't been good for 3 years.  He's providing value in the sense of being cost controlled for a while, but he's not really providing that much real value to a playoff team, unless he finds his magic in the bullpen or the last 9 starts aren't a mirage.  On top of that his pitch shape seems to have taken a hit along with his velo, which is down over 1 mph this year.  If we can find a way to get his velo back then I think this ends up working out okay, but he had some injuries and that stuff doesn't always pop back.

This feels like an extremely high risk, moderately high reward trade.  Since we acquired Eflin I guess we can stomach one of those.  But I'm definitely glad it's not in a vacuum.  By itself I'd probably give this a C or C-.

Edited by Hallas

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

Let’s be real clear.  Norby is a 5’10” 2B with a 28% K-rate (in AAA) who doesn’t field very well.  

I like him a lot, but trade him for a serviceable SP (with upside) all day every day. 

Second base isn't the position to make comments about a player's height.

220px-Joe_Morgan_Reds_1972.jpg

licensed-image?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGVM066CVjtp5

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

How does this deal help us in October?

Pushes Suarez in the BP where he can get comfortable over the next couple months and I believe be a key BP in October. 

I really want to know what some of you think Connor Norby and Kyle Stowers are going to do at the MLB level over the next six years. Because while I think they'll both have value, I don't think either are much more than role-players on a team that wants to contend for the World Series.

Even assuming Trevor Rogers is who he is right now, he's at least a role-player in an area of desperate need for us right now.

• Upvote 1

When you actually look at his last 9 games you see a bunch of playoff teams. Boston, Houston, Seattle, Cleveland, Phillies, Mets, Brewers. So when people say this doesn’t help in October they are wrong.

44 minutes ago, Surhoffan17 said:

He doesn't throw hard or strike out hitters, and walks too many. We have this guy already, his name is Cade Povich and he pitched last night! His statcast numbers are NOT good. Only explanation is team control. Maybe Drew French can fix him. But it didn't work last year with Holt on Flaherty and Flaherty had actual talent. 

He has averaged 9.34 Ks/9 over his career.

I really liked the potential of Norby and Stowers, but both of them were very flawed unproven players. This trade has as much to do with getting to the finish line this season as it does the next year or two. 

It hurts, so it's probably a trade that makes sense. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, fansince71 said:

Not much, but it helps us try to get to October.

Don't we actually need help in October? Like we had a 90% chance of making the playoffs as is. Or is the goal to just get there as some posters have asserting and then rely on "luck" like the 23' Rangers?

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

Because he's the man. 

But in all seriousness, he will likely be on the bench temporarily. Westburg to 2B, Urias to 3B would be my guess. Mateo back soon hopefully. 

Another head scratcher. This team needs a shot in the arm. Vavra ain't gonna supply it.

• Upvote 1

I certainly understand the frustration from some at not acquiring a TOR or another mid-rotation starter.  However, the trade is actually quite fair if you look at it objectively.... a legit back end ML starter with 2.5 years of team control traded for two pretty good prospects.  This was a good job by Elias using blocked position player prospects to trade for team controlled pitching.  I actually really like Norby and Stowers and think both will become decent ML starters.  However, there was very little chance of either of them getting a legit shot here.  Norby was only playing because Mateo is hurt and Holliday is in AAA, and Stowers was blocked by a bunch of better LH OFers.  I'm also happy for Norby and Stowers because both will finally get the shot they deserve.

Just now, terpoh said:

Yes, Suarez and Povich really shouldn't be grouped together, Povich does not look like a big leaguer currently- but to me Rogers is a rotation upgrade over both. The clock has started to strike 12 on Suarez as a starter, and I like him a lot on this team, I just hope he can regain his place in the bullpen.

Look Rogers has upside which Suarez doesn't. Pushing Suarez to the pen means you have two big league arms there (Suarez & Irvin) who can start and have success in the case of injury.

Next year, we'll need to start the season with at least 8 proven options to start to guard against 2 or 3 members of the rotation going down to injury - this is a lesson that almost every contender has learned this year. Rogers, as a cost controlled arm with two more years of control after this year is an asset there.

He could also return to rookie form by getting out of Miami and working with a competent coaching staff. We've seen the O's help a number of pitchers find the best version of themselves.

So I understand and like a lot of the reasons that Elias pulled the trigger on this trade. I just really (REALLY) don't like guys who have trouble commanding the strike zone going up against the AL East (which btw - means I'm not a fan of Povich or McDermott at this point in their careers...).

• Upvote 1