Grade the Rogers for Norby/Stowers trade

Frobby

Grade the Rogers for Norby/Stowers trade  

190 members have voted

1. 1. How do you grade the Rogers for Norby/Stowers trade?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/31/24 at 23:35

I think we need more context given how expensive pitching has been during this trade deadline. I want to see what everyone paid for similar pitchers through deadline completion. I also want to see if the Orioles working with the Marlins leads to a relief pitcher being traded to us later in the day. On the surface, you would think that if a reliever wasn't in a deal at this time they would not be. I do like that he is under contract for more than one year and maybe playing for a better team will light a fire during a playoff race and beyond. The Orioles couldn't keep them all and I have a feeling that Norby will not be the best prospect traded today.

I'm going TBD. Clearly Elias sees something and has a plan. I think for this one, we're going to have to see how it plays out.

I don't have a problem with getting Rogers and I think the rotation is in better shape both this year and next. I feel the same about Eflin. At worst, Rogers is an MLB level starting pitcher. What's his ceiling? Can the velocity and K rates tick back up?

Grading trades is silly because no one here has even the first clue what else was available for these two players, what else would have gotten this particular player from MIami, or literally anything else behind the scenes. Tons of posts stating we should have gotten more for Norby - how do you know this?  How do you know teams are looking for this guy? Teams are paying a LOT for pitchers of all qualities and of various years of control after this year, clearly the market was hot for sellers, as has been reported ad nauseam.  We had to improve the pitching staff, and if the price for Skubal was as its been reported 2 of the big 3, I'm glad we didn't go in that direction, because that's just outrageous.  Rogers and Eflin as just as good as any other pitcher floating around out there the last couple of weeks, except for maybe Fedde - I think we all agree that trade was just bizarre though, so its more of an outlier than anything else.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m just waking up from a nap and seeing this news.  I see there’s a long thread reacting to the trade, but what grade do you give it?  See the poll, and you can give it a letter grade if you like too.

Side note, I give a grade "Love It" to @Frobby taking a nap on trade deadline afternoon in the middle of a pennant race. @Sports Guy could never!

• Haha 1

This is a really hard one to grade right now. "Meh" feels too harsh, but "I like it" feels a bit cheery.

I think Elias did well to make sure we don't have to see Povich or Suarez in the rotation for the rest of the season, and when paired with Eflin, it's a relief to have 4 solid SP for 2025. 

I think it helps us get to the postseason, but I'm not sure it does much for us when we get there. While I'm not overly sad about losing Norby and Stowers, I would have maybe preferred them being used as pieces for a closer, which might be more useful in the postseason. It also cripples our depth a bit. That said, it's hard to argue with trading them for a controllable LH SP with upside. 

Again - tough one. I need to see how it plays out and if there are any other moves. 

17 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Feels like we should have gotten more from the Marlins for 12 years of Norby and Stowers team control in exchange for 2.3 years of Rogers who is basically a #4 in a good year. But I'm hoping he proves me wrong and has a great couple years here. 

4 in a good year? I thought I read he was an All Star and Rookie of the Year candidate. That sounds like a 2, at least.

13 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I'm not quite hate it, but very close to it. I think just taking it as whether or not it makes the team better this year? It does. But if I look at it strictly from the lens of what was traded vs. what was returned? I'm very much not a fan. 

I was about to type essentially the same thing, so I'll just say "this". I don't hate it, but I'm not impressed. 

Also of slight importance is that we have immediate players in our system where these players were expendable and we drafted at the top of our draft guys that in 3 to 4 years make Norby and Stowers even more expendable.  Plus new ownership money makes them even more expendable.

i would have liked a reliever to go with him,  even if added Mullins and povich and Fabian (or less) to get Tanner Scott added.

2 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

4 in a year? I thought I read he was an All Star and Rookie of the Year candidate. That sounds like a 2, at least.

Sure back when his velocity was 3 MPH higher. He isnt that same pitcher today. 

Worst trade the Elias front office has ever done. By far. They could have at least gotten Tanner Scott instead and even that would have been an over pay. They could have gotten the same type of pitcher as Rogers off the waiver wire. They might have even been able to get Rogers off the waiver wire if they waited long enough.

Abysmal trade. Absolutely horrible.

ill just vote Meh and wait for Rogers play determine — He’s struggled his short career thus far, recently doing decent but i’d hope Elias isn’t trading Norby for a guy who is on a hot run and sees something that can help the rest of the year and next. 

I personally love it. Stowers had a 0% BB, 35 K%, and .435 BABIP this year in the majors. Norby 0% BB, 37% K%, .406 ops. Yes, they could become good players one day, but I think this board overrates their promise. Trevor Rogers on the other hand is under team control through 2026, can have use in the playoffs as a starter or out of the bullpen, and if he can find a way to get his velo back up he could be very good.

9 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Worst trade the Elias front office has ever done. By far. They could have at least gotten Tanner Scott instead and even that would have been an over pay. They could have gotten the same type of pitcher as Rogers off the waiver wire. They might have even been able to get Rogers off the waiver wire if they waited long enough.

Abysmal trade. Absolutely horrible.

🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1