Remember-Elias traded Tanner Scott 2 years ago for garbage. Good drafter. Horrible GM when it comes to trades.

1 minute ago, scbalt52 said:

Nothing, Scott wasn't even average. He couldn't find a spot on a poor team's bullpen even when given countless chances. Current Bryan Baker>Tanner Scott at the time of the trade. And Baker could be released today and it wouldn't bother me.

In 2019, Scott appeared in 28 games only and posted an ERA of 4.78 in 26+13 innings with 37 strikeouts. In 2020 for the Orioles, Scott pitched to a superb 1.31 ERA to go along with 23 strikeouts in 20+23 innings pitched over 25 games.

3 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

One thing I have always been confused by is why Elias does not get more flack for trading Tanner Scott in 2022 for absolute garbage.  The trades today imo amplify in my mind that he should not be the head person in charge of all things Os. Great scout.  Bad GM.   I honestly think he has no idea what he is doing when it comes to trades.  Just today he traded two higher up prospects for a guy who is VERY average....at best.  And who cannot help us in the playoffs.  And then traded for a journeyman OF who will once again.....only block prospects. 

Make that make sense. 

But the Tanner Scott trade?  This is the King of all bad trades.  Other than the Curt Schilling trade, this may be the single worst Os trade of all time.  I remember thinking to myself when I read what he was traded for..."that's it'?  It made no sense.  Everyone could see that Scott had major strike out ability and that pitchers who strike people out are valuable,  and yet they literally gave him way.

Baltimore on Sunday night traded left-hander Tanner Scott and right-hander Cole Sulser -- a pair of relievers expected to get save opportunities this season and with multiple years left under team control -- to the Marlins in exchange for a Competitive Balance Round B Draft pick, two prospects and a player to be named later.

Heading to the O’s are left-hander Antonio Velez and outfielder Kevin Guerrero, neither of whom are within the Marlins’ Top 30 Prospects, as ranked by MLB Pipeline.

I will never understand what in the world Elias was thinking with this trade, and I am starting to wonder if he has any idea what he is thinking with any trades. 

My confidence in him is waning....quickly. 

Terrible take. SMH. What did you want him to do?  Trade for Skubal or Crochet?  Nobody else traded for them. Did you want him to outbid the Padres for Scott?

45 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Ridiculous take.  Gaslighting. 

A guy averaging over 1 strikeout per inning is not garbage. 

Shintaro Fujinami averaged over 1 strikeout per inning and he was garbage. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

What do you consider trending up?

In 2019, Scott appeared in 28 games only and posted an ERA of 4.78 in 26+13 innings with 37 strikeouts. In 2020 for the Orioles, Scott pitched to a superb 1.31 ERA to go along with 23 strikeouts in 20+23 innings pitched over 25 games.

And the next two years after that?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Terrible take. SMH. What did you want him to do?  Trade for Skubal or Crochet?  Nobody else traded for them. Did you want him to outbid the Padres for Scott?

No.   Scott wasn't worth it especially when you consider we traded him for nothing 2 years ago.  But I mean he was traded for 3 top 6 prospects.  That is a crazy return for the Marlins.

Crochet or Skubal?  I for sure would have traded one of our top 3 + for him.  Not even a question.

Besides GR who do we have next year as very good pitchers? 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

What do you consider trending up?

In 2019 he had a WHIP of 1.785 after posting 1.556 the season before. He had ERA of 5.40, 4.78 and 5.17 from 2018-2021 (ignoring the 6 games in 2020). He still was just filler for MIA in 2022. He finally figured it out in 2023., but who can blame the O's for giving up on a guy who was replacement level at best? 

I don't feel like reading all of this but has anyone pointed out that the pick we got back for Scott did at least net Jud Fabian?

We were a re-building team and he was an inconsistent reliever that was getting ready to cost money.  This is an absolute nothing burger. 

13 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Just because you disagree with my opinion doesn't mean I am doing it for "attention" as you put it.

I could care less about that.

What is more important is why  the media and the fans have let Elias get away with one of the worst trades in Os history.   Even in the trade thread this year...............no one mentioned that we literally gave Tanner away 2 years ago.  But many were very eager to give the Marlins a top prospect....or two....for the very guy that was just given away. 

It is a very odd spin to say the least. 

Honestly, what do you mean by "get away with"?  Should he be fired?  Pilloried?  Drawn and quartered?  To what end?  

If Elias was constantly getting rid of guys who turned into All-Stars, then sure I would have a problem with it.  Instead, I have seen a guy who has taken a moribund franchise that seemed to be always behind the times to one that is perceived as among the best in the MLB both in terms of identifying and developing talent.  

This one didn't work out, but I'd argue it was more of a case of an unlikely outcome happening rather than a poor decision in the moment.

It was basically one year.  The covid fake year.  Which I don't even count. 

Okay, now I know you're trolling. No, it was not. I said the next two years, which means 2021 and 2022. Tanner Scott sucked again.

The 20 innings, virtually the only stretch with the Orioles when he was actually good (that you used as the main point in your argument - with the 1.31 ERA) was the "covid fake year.  Which I don't even count" 😂😂😂

I'm embarrassed by and for you.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Players figure things out later in their career. Melvin Mora was ordinary when he first arrived. He developed into an All Star and very productive player. Jake Arrieta won a freaking Cy Young.  

Hell... Santander was a Rule 5 pick, and he has been fantastic. Players sometime turn into productive players after a team trades them away. 

23 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Again, stay on topic.  Please just tell me who besides SB, JH, and CM are rated highly in the Os farm system?  Bradford?  And please don't mention any pitchers.  Of which there are basically none.   We are pretty barren outside of those guys.

This isn’t a serious take. They have three of the top 15 prospects in baseball. They graduated Henderson, Rodriguez, Kjerstad, Cowser, and Westburg, that were top 100 last year. 

8 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

You seem to have lost control of your narrative. 

The COVID fake year was 2020. The year he was good.