Grade the overall trade deadline 2024

Frobby

Grade the overall trade deadline 2024  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the overall trade deadline 2024

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/01/24 at 06:39

B/B+.

More like a B when evaluating just for 2024. We went quantity for quantity, trading a lot of non-premium assets for non-premium upgrades. I wonder if a more quality for quality approach would have brought in better shutdown arms for the postseason. 

Gets closer to an A when I consider years beyond this one. Elias managed to bring in quite a few pieces that should positively impact 2025+. I didn't expect that. And I trust the scouting/coaching/analytics operation enough to assume that some of these guys were targeted buy-lows that will perform better with the O's than they have in the recent past. 

B-/C+

I guess I should have gone a little higher, but I was disappointed in the trade with Miami.  I'm glad they got Rogers and that will hopefully eliminate some of the guys that are clearly not ready, but it was a hefty price. 

The rest of the deals were sensible.  

A, as Elias said we got probably the best SP on the market, and one with potential and control, I dont like Norby/Stowers for Rogers but im giving it a chance. I trust Elias on his BP adds he’s already proven he find guys from the scrap yards in the past and think he’s hopefully done so again

Lineup vs Lefties down the stretch is going to look massively overhauled imo also

Vs LHP?

C-Rutschman

1B- Mountcastle

2B-Westburg

SS-Henderson

3B-Mayo

RF-Santander

CF-Cowser/Mullins

LF-Slater — honestly not sure of his defense, could just be Kjerstad/Cowser

DH- Jimênez

Bench- Holliday, Kjerstad, (Mullins/Cowser), McCann, O’Hearn(including roster expansion down the stretch) … Urias?

Did not like the Rogers deal . I felt we gave up way too much, but Elias was looking for control for next year. A controlled pitcher who isnt very good means little to me. Plus Rogers has had a history of back and lat problems. I did like the Eflin acquisition, but he's not anything close to a dominant pitcher as we saw the other night. Still he was light years better than what we had. The rotation is better but not drastically so. Dont understand the Slater move at all and Jimenez looks like a "shot" hitter who is nothing close to the player he was 3-4 years ago. I do like the two Phillies bullpen guys, but both have weaknesses . I would have liked to see Mayo up this week, but I'm seeing Holliday is coming so it may be a matter of keeping Maya's rookie status. Whatever the advantage that gives the Orioles in the future, the present is what Im interested in. I think Mayo is better that Eloy and hopefully he'll get a chance to hit soon.Orioles are incrementally better, but still not a World Series team. Id give Elias moves a c plus. We didnt lose our top prospects, but we didnt move the needle much either.

Any team getting one of Jax/Mayo/Basallo let alone 2 would have had an A+.  

Underwhelming and not exciting, but two quality rotation pieces is pretty big.  

and Ellllllloooooyyyyyyyyyyyyy Jenkinsssssssssssss

at least we got chicken

A for Elias.  You can’t trade for players that aren’t available.  Most players people wanted weren’t traded to anyone.  Skubal, Miller, Crochet, Fairbanks, and Finnegan.  Heck, I think the Angels even kept Tyler Anderson.  

Is the concussion still bothering Kjerstad?

Also, it’s funny we did the deal with Jimenez from the CWS. Remember DD made a similar deal for De Aza years ago at the deadline and we ended up picking up the deal. De Aza could play defense thought, but he crapped the bed the next season. 

Hyde mentioned about not wanting to get younger. Did Elias listen to to him and get him some vets?  Dominguez, Gregory Soto, Eflin, Rogers, Slater, and Pache, and Jiménez all have playoff experience. Plus, another year of control. 

• Upvote 1

I rated it a B to B+. We improved on what we had and didn't give up a great deal except for Norby. I hope he and Stowers rock in Miami. Better rotation and better pen but nothing dynamic. Better lineup against left handed pitching. This was a so so deadline all around - no major pieces moved. What did the Sanks do? Can't believe what the Padres gave for a rental BP arm. What team do you think had the best trading deadline and why? On to October and take our chances.

I went with C. Inconsequential is the best word I can use to describe it. Luckily that also applies to the type of players we gave up. It was interesting to see Elias work with some different parameters. Adding salary? Kinda wild if you think about how it was when Elias started here. Still, I’d have liked to see something a little more bold.

B- for 2024. B for 2025.

Eflin deal was very solid. Rogers deal seemed like a overpay to me. Siranthony and Soto were ok deals. The rest...take a flyer, meh, whatever.

The market was just so insane I feel like it held everyone back. So part of my B is for the patience holding back and not making an insane deal as bad or worse than what the Padres did. If the big names did move and for more realistic cost, then I would lean more C for the Orioles. But the deals were just not there.

Gave it a B.  Felt like they gave up too much for Rogers but the other moves were solid.  They solidified the floor and provided more depth for next year.  Really feel like they’re positioned as well as anyone else for the crapshoot that is October baseball.

Solid B for me. Felt like they needed either a better or another high leverage reliever(of course, it’s also possible they got 2 high leverage guys but didn’t pay nearly the price for them others did because of some “down numbers”) and I’m not sure about the need for Slater and Jimenez. I can the argument for each though, so I don’t hate it just don’t love it either.

It sucks that Norby and Stowers are gone but neither have a real future here and I’m glad they are getting a chance somewhere.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

I gave it an A/A- because of the Eflin, Domínguez and Soto deals. Those were all excellent and it’s impressive Elias pulled them all off at the same deadline. Eflin in particular looks like a master class move to pull off a few days early considering how the market went closer to the deadline. I don’t see how anybody can be anything other than very positive about those trades.

I don’t like the other deals nearly as much - not a fan of Rogers and spending any money on Jimenez when we already have Mayo is baffling - but those are all much lower stakes deals, filling out the roster and adjusting around the edges.

Anybody who is lukewarm about this deadline probably thought much too highly of Norby and Stowers. Those guys have starter upside, but it’s a low probability. Norby has had strikeout issues in AAA headed in the wrong direction and has very fringy power. His stock is way down. Even if you’re positive on his defense, no evaluators think he’s more than an average defender at best. I still think he’s going to be a good bench player vs LHP - but there’s limited value in that. 

Stowers has a better chance of being a regular player IMO because he’s a lefty and plays better defense, but he still has big time contact issues. For all the people who have issues with Cowser, what Cowser has been this year is basically Stowers’ upside offensively and he’s a far worse defender. More likely, if he doesn’t make enough contact, he’s not going to be a starting player, and as a lefty OF who can’t really play CF he’s not a great fit on the bench either.  Could very well just be a AAAA guy who only has one option year remaining.

I don’t have many good things to say about Rogers but 2.5 years of an established #5 SP, who is 26 and shown much more ability in the past, is still a decent chunk of value. Norby and Stowers could certainly become starting caliber players that will make this trade look bad, but the odds are low enough that they really don’t have that much value right now that we gave up for him.

Add in the context of how blocked Norby and Stowers were here and best used right now as trade pieces before they got buried further and hurt their value more, and how few SP were left available when we picked up Rogers, I don’t have a problem with it. 

• Upvote 2

I feel the O's are marginally better but fell farther behind the WS contenders (LA, Padres, Yankees, Guardians, Phillies)

Really don't like the collection of bad veterans (Slater, Eloy) to block Mayo and Kjerstad

Long term the Rogers trade will look like a big mistake