Grade the overall trade deadline 2024

Frobby

Grade the overall trade deadline 2024  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the overall trade deadline 2024

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/01/24 at 06:39

25 minutes ago, dystopia said:

C-  

The Rogers trade was a fleecing by the Marlins and he didn’t make the team noticeably better. 

Rogers I think you have to evaluate against the recent SP form of Suarez and Povich.

A pitcher's ratios are going to erode if they have to carry Jordan Lyles like workload for their clubs.    Some of Lyles-Gibson-Kremer-Rogers type pitchers job is to help Yennier Cano have something left for October.

Would a few stronger relievers post better numbers in the aggregate?   Probably, but by that point you are talking about having bullpen games every 5th day, and the season isn't quite short enough for that yet.

That time will come, and it'll be interesting to watch between Kremer and Rogers who is the first one relegated to the bullpen, not that either one of them would get much leeway as a Game 4 starter.

The Jimenez deal is truly baffling. We have a better player in Norfolk and Elias still wants to play service time games with Mayo. The Reds deal is equally as confusing as the players we got are worse than what we have. 

• Upvote 1

Solid B for me.     Upgraded the rotation (bumps Irvin and Suarez out), the bullpen (including another lefty, and bumping Suarez to pen, Irvin gone), and added a few bats that can hit LHP.    McCann now will not 'always' catch against lefties which improves the lineup substantially.  He also didn't grossly overpay for a reliever (I'm looking at you Sandy Eggo) and kept all the prospects and Kjerstad/Cowser.     

Mayo will be up, make no mistake, and there are plenty of at-bats for him.   

B-  Totally fine with each move but I just don’t see it improving our chances in the playoffs.  Maybe that was by design….cruise into the playoffs and not have the team “tired”  entering October.  Roll the dice we get hot; recalibrate next year as guys come off injuries.  

Also I’m not convinced Bautista is unavailable for October.  Unlikely but not convinced. 

I gave it a B-/C+, but it’s more like a B- leaning towards B.  I think when we re-grade it with 20/20 hindsight in the offseason, the performance of Rogers will determine whether the grade moves up or down.  His career numbers and 2024 overall numbers suggest he’s a marginally acceptable 5th starter.   He’s been more than that the last two months, can he keep that going?   @CaptainRedbeardgave me some good data in another thread that suggests his recent performance is more luck than any drastic real improvement, but we’ll see.

On the plus side, the team is improved for both 2024 and 2025.   On the down side, I don’t see any big upgrade that’s likely to be a needle mover in the postseason.   

The Rogers trade is the one people seem hesitant on.

But here’s my question for any of you about that.  

Do you think Elias traded Norby and Stowers in a lesser deal than he could have gotten?

And if your answer is, hold them if this is the best you can get, how much longer do you suggest they do that?  All of MlB can see our depth and see that they don’t have a realistic path at regular playing time here. Hell, even part time playing time will be tough as guys like Holliday, Basallo and Mayo settle in.

So what exactly did you want him to do? A lot of sellers were getting guys that were younger players, so it’s possible they just weren’t desired prospects by sellers due to their ages.

Thats not going to change. So, you either bite the bullet and get someone you feel you can fix or you keep holding and hope for the best. It’s entirely possible they both lose all value and then you end up getting nothing for them. That happens all the time with prospects.

• Upvote 1

The Fangraphs write up on Eloy mentioned the Ryan O'Hearn magic.

Last year I think Elias' clubhouse had ample cause for grumpiness about guys like Jordan Montgomery and Paul Sewald.     I think that is much less the case today.

That combined with conserving everyone above Norby in the talent pile, and the pitcher he got in the minor league deal seeming more interesting at first glance than Billy Cook, I went B+/B.

The extra playoff berths making it a Seller's Market, not sure any buyers had A/A- paths, though Jazz and Leiter, Jr. giving Yankees a very strong jolt.

I voted for A, because Elias played the long game which is what I expected and it’s what aligns with my vision for the Orioles. I was not on board with trading any of the big 4, and he did not. He got us two starters, a LH reliever, a RH reliever and a RH bat with some pop. And he did not sell out for a lottery ticket to win it all this year. I will take the ticket that gives us a long window of opportunity to win it all several times over the next several years. Perfect!

• Upvote 2

A/A- was an easy answer for me. Definitely not an A+, but that wasn't on the table anyway.

We quite possibly added the 2nd best starter available in Eflin. Those of you that wanted us to take a(nother) shot at Flaherty - LOL. We've seen that episode before, remember? We had that joker last year and the board HATED him. He wasn't going to jump into a championship run and continue on doing what he's been doing in Detroit where the only expectations are to show up everyday. The overpay on Rogers doesn't feel great, but the aggregate list of additions and subtractions makes that much more palatable overall for me. 

We added multiple arms to the bullpen, which had become a total liability. Now, Akin, Perez, and Suarez can all slide back a few rungs on the ladder, and suddenly everyone slots in much better. Sure, Kimbrel is still a problem, but I think Hyde needs to find a way to use him waaay less until the post season. We can't continue to care about his personal quest to climb the all-time saves list. He is a mercenary, and does not deserve special consideration (but I digress...). 

We also re-established our position player depth, and really the bottom 20-25% of our overall roster depth. And ME accomplished all of this without giving up Holliday, Mayo, Basallo, Cowser, or Kjerstad. I know many of us aren't thrilled about losing Norby, he was a big part of getting all of this done. And frankly, adding Stowers into the Rogers deal is almost completely insignificant to me. 

I'm not the prospect guru that a lot of you are, but all of the other prospects we gave up to swing the rest of the trades are still "lottery tickets" to me. Some have bright projections, but a ridiculously low number of them pan out. So we massively helped our ML roster without sacrificing the top of the prospect pool. 

I'll admit that I tend to be a pretty optimistic guy when it comes to my sports teams, so maybe my tone will change by the end of September if we fall off a cliff. But for now, I like what ME tried to do, and I like it even more with the context of what other contenders were able to do and the prices they paid to do it. Now we just need to sit back and watch it unfold. 

Edited by Sanfran327

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Rogers trade is the one people seem hesitant on.

But here’s my question for any of you about that.  

Do you think Elias traded Norby and Stowers in a lesser deal than he could have gotten?

And if your answer is, hold them if this is the best you can get, how much longer do you suggest they do that?  All of MlB can see our depth and see that they don’t have a realistic path at regular playing time here. Hell, even part time playing time will be tough as guys like Holliday, Basallo and Mayo settle in.

So what exactly did you want him to do? A lot of sellers were getting guys that were younger players, so it’s possible they just weren’t desired prospects by sellers due to their ages.

Thats not going to change. So, you either bite the bullet and get someone you feel you can fix or you keep holding and hope for the best. It’s entirely possible they both lose all value and then you end up getting nothing for them. That happens all the time with prospects.

This might have been mentioned before but I can’t keep up with all the threads. 

It’s also worth noting he picked up guys who will be on the team next year.  While Rodger’s doesn’t seem like much, chances are we would have been looking for a guy like him to trade for in the off-season for next years rotation.  

I don’t understand the Jimenez trade though.  He offers less defensive value than Kjerstad and he has not hit.  I think Mayo and Kjerstad would probably offer more value.  This year and next.  

2 minutes ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

This might have been mentioned before but I can’t keep up with all the threads. 

It’s also worth noting he picked up guys who will be on the team next year.  While Rodger’s doesn’t seem like much, chances are we would have been looking for a guy like him to trade for in the off-season for next years rotation.  

I don’t understand the Jimenez trade though.  He offers less defensive value than Kjerstad and he has not hit.  I think Mayo and Kjerstad would probably offer more value.  This year and next.  

He hits lefties at an ok clip. That is the difference and that’s why they acquired him. He also has some upside, so they may just be trying to catch lightning in a bottle for a few months.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He hits lefties at an ok clip. That is the difference and that’s why they acquired him. He also has some upside, so they may just be trying to catch lightning in a bottle for a few months.

Yea you’re probably right on the lightning in a bottle theory.  I just think Mayo or Kjerstad would offer more value.  Kjerstad hit .302 versus lefties in the minors in 2023 and .275 this year.   

Now that I made this post I fully expect Jimenez to go off and make me look like an idiot. 

12 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Those of you that wanted us to take a(nother) shot at Flaherty - LOL. We've seen that episode before, remember? We had that joker last year and the board HATED him. He wasn't going to jump into a championship run and continue on doing what he's been doing in Detroit where the only expectations are to show up everyday.

I am fine with getting Eflin, but this is a poor argument IMO.  It’s akin to the posters who didn’t want Tanner Scott because he was highly erratic when he was in Baltimore before.   Flaherty is having a much better year this year than last, and apparently the Dodgers had no qualms about putting him in a more competitive situation.  I wouldn’t give last year a moment’s thought unless Hyde felt he wasn’t a clubhouse fit, which I haven’t heard.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I am fine with getting Eflin, but this is a poor argument IMO.  It’s akin to the posters who didn’t want Tanner Scott because he was highly erratic when he was in Baltimore before.   Flaherty is having a much better year this year than last, and apparently the Dodgers had no qualms about putting him in a more competitive situation.  I wouldn’t give last year a moment’s thought unless Hyde felt he wasn’t a clubhouse fit, which I haven’t heard.  

The better argument is that the Yankees balked at his medical records. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't think Flaherty and Scott are the same argument. Scott was young and promising when we dealt him a while ago, and he developed into a weapon in Miami. As for Flaherty, well, I stand by my opinion and won't try to change your mind. I guess we'll see how he performs in LA.