I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

1 minute ago, Safelykept said:

Plus he could start to get bored at that level.

True. I think the competition within the clubhouse has luckily prevented that for everyone else but that might no longer be as strong a factor

Just now, Roy Firestone said:

I said I would be resentful if it were me. I also said he's been a "good soldier"while everyone around him was called up. I have no information on how HE feels.I know how I would feel. 

Roy, I'd like to have seen him up last year. But as for now, if they keep him down long enough to preserve his rookie status they're actually doing him a favor.. inasmuch as he is probably a ROY contender, and if he finishes first or second next year, he gains a free year of service time, and costs the club a year of control.

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I said I would be resentful if it were me. I also said he's been a "good soldier"while everyone around him was called up. I have no information on how HE feels.I know how I would feel. 

He will be up in August and on the team for the playoffs. He's 22 and has defensive warts, and isn't helping his cause right now because he's not hitting in AAA for the past month. I think he was getting a call-up before he broke his ribs because there would have been enough time for him to show if he would be able to push for ROY this year. Those picks are important to the success of this team going forward.

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

Of course, I am biased. I know Coby and his family well and interviewed Coby back in high school. I stay in touch with the family multiple times a week.Of course, I want to see him get his chance as many of you do.But for any reason, the fact that this kid is not promoted while we promoted inferior players, while we have a need for a RH hitter with pop  and refuse to  make that call is an insult to Coby Mayo, and yes, the fans too. The Orioles are jerking the kid around because they want to save his rookie status which could give the team an extra year of contract flexibility, could save the organisation money. But it's WRONG. The kid has raked all year, been a "good soldier" while he watched all his teammates get the call up. This kid has no negotiation power right now.But he will remember how he was treated and he has every reason to be resentful. I would be if it were me. And Oriole fans should be angry too. The front office has an obligation to field the best team, the best players and present that team to the public. They are not doing it to save money while they trade for dreadful hitters and pay off their inflated contract. It makes no sense. I'm furious that Elias is doing this to the kid, and I respect Mike. It's just wrong. Big time WRONG.                           FREE COBY MAYO.

I 100000000000% agree. And the players on the big league club see this as well.  They resent having players in the lineup who are not as good as players who "should" be on the team from AAA.

Very bad mojo and it puts a pall on the entire team.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

The takeaway is that Roy is alluding to the notion that Mayo feels resentment towards the organization. That’s not good. 

I NEVER said HE was resentful. I said I know how I would feel and he might remember this.I have no information that he has resentful feelings toward the club. I know I would.

How many players in their first, second, or third years can a bonafide contender reasonably expect to field? Is it realistic that a team that has aspirations of winning the World Series is going to have 4/9 of its lineup be rookies? It's wonderful that we have so much young talent, but I imagine there's a tipping point where it's just not realistic to think that you can just cram them all onto the big league team and expect consistency.

Holliday got the call because of Mateo's injury. And now that Westburg has gone down, it does seem like a spot has opened up for Coby. But is it really likely that both Holliday and Mayo are going to come up and produce immediately? Alongside the other two rookies in Cowser and Kjerstad who are being relied upon? In addition to Gunnar and Adley (and Westburg if/when he comes back) who are themselves in their second/third years?

I'm sure Coby feels like he's on the outside looking in as almost all of his peers have gotten the call by now, including guys who are younger than him and were drafted after him. And he has earned a shot. But his promotion doesn't exist in a vacuum; there is a bigger picture that the organization has to be mindful of.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

But is it true?  Because if it is, Roy just broke a story.  FWIW that wasn't my takeaway from reading his post carefully.

Again,I was only saying if it were me  it would make me resentful. Cody is NO "Cancer in the clubhouse" type. He's a great kid.Period.

49 minutes ago, billhatf said:

I happen to agree with Roy.   They traded for a right handed DH while they had one sitting at norfolk.    They called up a guy today that was a throw in on a cash deal.   I don't know what Coby is thinking, but perhaps he saw that Hays became a squeaky wheel and went to Philly, and two norfolk teammates went to Miami...  perhaps the lesson learned is the path to the show is to be the squeaky wheel.

It does seem dumb and a little "insulting" that Elias traded for a guy who used to be Mayo about 5 years ago, except Mayo has more defensive value than Eloy ever had and Eloy is basically a DH now.  I have been down some on Mayo's defensive ability, but he is a different type of player altogether than Eloy with the ability to play 1B and 3B at least as a backup at the ML level, which Eloy cannot do.  Eloy could make a miraculous offensive resurgence from his lowly .642 OPS but why not take a chance on a hitter who is around the #5 prospect in baseball largely on his elite exit velocities, which rival the best of MLB hitters.  All I can think of is this is about preserving Mayo's rookie status and a chance at an extra draft pick.

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I 100000000000% agree. And the players on the big league club see this as well.  They resent having players in the lineup who are not as good as players who "should" be on the team from AAA.

Very bad mojo and it puts a pall on the entire team.

BTW imo if Roy is saying this?  I am guessing he is hearing vibes from Mayo's family and friends that things are not Kosher with this decision.

And I can't blame them.  There is not an organization in baseball that would still have Mayo down on the farm, especially after the trades and the injury today.

If I am Mayo I play out my contract here and say Bye bye 

Pepperidge Farms remembers.

The other way of looking at thus is that they think so highly of his abilities that they think he could be ROY in 2025. I think it’s fairly clear that if not for the draft pick in question, he’d be in Baltimore. Mike Elias’ job is to do what’s best for the organization. If he believes waiting another 2 weeks on Mayo’s arrival can net us a valuable pick, I respect that. If there’s a beef to be had, it’s really about the CBA…not Mike Elias doing his job to use the rules to the best long term advantage of the organization. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, CTBear said:

My biggest concern for Mayo right now is leaving him in a mediocre AAA lineup. No offense to the other guys who all have MLB aspirations but looking at the Tides lineup tonight, it’s just completely different from how it looked game 1. They were absolutely stacked and have been for years now because of the flow of top prospects through the system and now it’s only really Mayo left from that bunch. You just know that the amount of talent there has elevated the play of all those guys and the sudden lack of pop in the lineup could dampen Mayo’s drive and competitiveness. Sure, he could keep grinding but it’s a real mental test for him right now. Hopefully he steps up to the challenge knowing he’s so close but damn, it must be brutal. 

Sorry but I feel this is a very contrived concern.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UMDTerrapins said:

The other way of looking at thus is that they think so highly of his abilities that they think he could be ROY in 2025. I think it’s fairly clear that if not for the draft pick in question, he’d be in Baltimore. Mike Elias’ job is to do what’s best for the organization. If he believes waiting another 2 weeks on Mayo’s arrival can net us a valuable pick, I respect that. If there’s a beef to be had, it’s really about the CBA…not Mike Elias doing his job to use the rules to the best long term advantage of the organization. 

I think it's a fair opinion. Elias is doing his management job. I DO get that. I just think it's absurd that this extremely talented player who can help us unassuming he hits, is not even a consideration for 2 more weeks or whatever it is. It's a crummy deal for him...and for us as fans.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

Of course, I am biased. I know Coby and his family well and interviewed Coby back in high school. I stay in touch with the family multiple times a week.Of course, I want to see him get his chance as many of you do.But for any reason, the fact that this kid is not promoted while we promoted inferior players, while we have a need for a RH hitter with pop  and refuse to  make that call is an insult to Coby Mayo, and yes, the fans too. The Orioles are jerking the kid around because they want to save his rookie status which could give the team an extra year of contract flexibility, could save the organisation money. But it's WRONG. The kid has raked all year, been a "good soldier" while he watched all his teammates get the call up. This kid has no negotiation power right now.But he will remember how he was treated and he has every reason to be resentful. I would be if it were me. And Oriole fans should be angry too. The front office has an obligation to field the best team, the best players and present that team to the public. They are not doing it to save money while they trade for dreadful hitters and pay off their inflated contract. It makes no sense. I'm furious that Elias is doing this to the kid, and I respect Mike. It's just wrong. Big time WRONG.                           FREE COBY MAYO.

Are you saying this as a reporter or as a fan?

1 hour ago, billhatf said:

I happen to agree with Roy.   They traded for a right handed DH while they had one sitting at norfolk.    They called up a guy today that was a throw in on a cash deal.   I don't know what Coby is thinking, but perhaps he saw that Hays became a squeaky wheel and went to Philly, and two norfolk teammates went to Miami...  perhaps the lesson learned is the path to the show is to be the squeaky wheel.

Yup.