Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

I feel like right now the way Rogers is pitching he can go out and give us a good chance to beat teams that we should beat like he did last night.  Games against good teams like Cleveland he is probably going to struggle.

I also think that Elias paid up in prospects for him because the Orioles see an opportunity to make him a lot better.

I think in the end we will all be happy with this trade. 

That was a so so start against an awful lineup. A lot of pitches, a lot of contact, very little whiffs. That plays against the Jays, but not against any of the above average offenses.

That said, he probably goes 6 IP if not for sloppy defense from Mayo.

45 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

True.   It was something a giddy (and probably now unemployed) Marlins official said hyping a draftee soon after using a 1st rounder on a high school pitcher.

Sigbot's move is to wait and see if that character is even in organized baseball 7 years later.

He used to sit mid 90’s and have a sharper slider during his rookie year. I remember when we played the marlins then, the stuff was noticeable for a lefty rookie. And he was producing. 

26 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I feel like right now the way Rogers is pitching he can go out and give us a good chance to beat teams that we should beat like he did last night.  Games against good teams like Cleveland he is probably going to struggle.

I also think that Elias paid up in prospects for him because the Orioles see an opportunity to make him a lot better.

I think in the end we will all be happy with this trade. 

The concern here for me is when I think of the Marlins I think of a team that finds and developts decent pitching more so than the Orioles. The Orioles  rep to me  right now is developing good hitting. If Miami hasn't been able to fix him the last couple years then why should I believe Baltimore will be able to. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

His lack of a got to whiff pitch concerns me. I mentioned in the game thread that he reminded me of Bruce Zimmerman a bit though Zimmerman has a better slider and worse changeup. But they both throw about the same with the same command. 

There is no way I'd trust him pitching against a good lineup with the stuff we've seen from him since being acquired. Obviously with Grayson going down, his role is more highlighted now, but it's going to be hard to manage a bullpen with two guys in the rotation that are really one time through the order guys.

Tony I  like your opinion on this, with so much being made today about velvo what would be your take on Scott McGregor in today's game?. I mean I don't think Scott could break a window with his fast ball but he still had a successful career. Do you think in today's game he would struggle? 

30 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

The concern here for me is when I think of the Marlins I think of a team that finds and developts decent pitching more so than the Orioles. The Orioles  rep to me  right now is developing good hitting. If Miami hasn't been able to fix him the last couple years then why should I believe Baltimore will be able to. 

Ben made a comment last night on the broadcast that Burch Smith has looked like a different pitcher since he was picked up from the Marlins and in particular mentioned his increased velocity.  So who knows maybe the Marlins were doing something similar with both guys the O's think they can tweak and improve on.

The walks difference is pretty big but not just that.  Rogers walked Vlad as one of them last night but the pitches were pretty close and looked like he had a plan against him to throw up and in.   Povich was just throwing so many uncompetitive pitches that were balls out of his hand.  

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Any reason you are comparing the two, other than that they are left handed? Rogers has more of a track record so he has a much higher floor than Povich. Kinda hard to tell much from their minors resumes since Rogers essentially skipped AAA, but Rogers had a much lower BB rate adding up to a higher K/BB even though he got lower K's. If Povich can turn his stuff into K's at the MLB level, Rogers might be the more effective overall pitcher.

I’m comparing them because they are both relatively soft-tossing lefties (low 90s heater) who pitch for the Os, to answer that question. 

27 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Ben made a comment last night on the broadcast that Burch Smith has looked like a different pitcher since he was picked up from the Marlins and in particular mentioned his increased velocity.  So who knows maybe the Marlins were doing something similar with both guys the O's think they can tweak and improve on.

Ok let's see. Smith has pitched well but it still a very small sample size 

2 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

That was a so so start against an awful lineup. A lot of pitches, a lot of contact, very little whiffs. That plays against the Jays, but not against any of the above average offenses.

That said, he probably goes 6 IP if not for sloppy defense from Mayo.

Toronto has a bad lineup overall, but they are a good contact hitting team, particularly against LHP with all of their righty hitters. 6th lowest team K% and 4th lowest vs LHP. So that provides a little more context for the lack of whiffs that makes me feel a bit more optimistic.

His 18% whiff rate overall last night is still subpar, but not atrocious with that context. And the 29% with the changeup is good - especially since the changeup should also be good at getting ground balls. He just needs more from his other pitches, and maybe even throw the changeup more than the 28% he did last night (especially when he’s facing that many righties). 

I’d love if the Orioles had saw something they thought was an easy immediate fix that could flip a switch with him and I don’t think that’s the case, but this start overall seems to be heading more in the right direction. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

The walks difference is pretty big but not just that.  Rogers walked Vlad as one of them last night but the pitches were pretty close and looked like he had a plan against him to throw up and in.   Povich was just throwing so many uncompetitive pitches that were balls out of his hand.  

This.   Now, I haven’t given up on Povich.  I think the book on him in the minors has been that a lot of his misses were around the plate.   That hasn’t been the case in his short MLB career.   Hopefully he learned some lessons and won’t throw so many uncompetitive pitches whenever he’s back in the majors.  

5 hours ago, interloper said:

Stowers isn't actually this bad right? He's had decent stretches at the ML level, albeit small ones. 3-36, all singles, with 18 strikeouts with Miami.

Since his breakout year in 2022, where he OPS .724 over 96 plate appearances, and many here were impressed but not the warehouse. Since then over 107 plate appearances a OPS of .262, better defense for sure. Be 27 in Jan. He'll have his moments but so did DJ Stewart.