Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

On 8/25/2024 at 6:36 PM, Aristotelian said:

Rogers has two years of control. The book is far, far from closed on this trade. Obviously does not look good so far.

Lol Povich. He has been as bad as Rogers.

I agree Stowers and Norby have some value despite not fitting in our plans but we didn't have a lot of leverage and it's impossible to know what else we could have gotten. Bottom line, they were not elite prospects. 

This. 

It would be disingenuous not to acknowledge that the Orioles were hoping that Rogers could be an upgrade for the back end of the rotation this year and that has not worked out. That said, I think they saw some things that Rogers can do that they like. He has shown some ability as a starter albeit not with any kind of consistency. Realistically where are Stower and Norby playing on this team long term? Hell, how much would they play even now with all the injuries? It's pretty easy for the Marlins to run them out there and let them have at it, they are not in a playoff race. 

It could turn out to be a bad trade but I think we wait at least until some point next year to pass a final judgement. By then we should know more about what Norby and Stowers are and we should know if Rogers brings anything to the table. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SteveO said:

This. 

It would be disingenuous not to acknowledge that the Orioles were hoping that Rogers could be an upgrade for the back end of the rotation this year and that has not worked out. That said, I think they saw some things that Rogers can do that they like. He has shown some ability as a starter albeit not with any kind of consistency. Realistically where are Stower and Norby playing on this team long term? Hell, how much would they play even now with all the injuries? It's pretty easy for the Marlins to run them out there and let them have at it, they are not in a playoff race. 

It could turn out to be a bad trade but I think we wait at least until some point next year to pass a final judgement. By then we should know more about what Norby and Stowers are and we should know if Rogers brings anything to the table. 

Norby is playing 2B nearly everyday and is hitting .313 according to ESPNs Saturday box score. I guess I feel like that would he welcome considering Holliday is hitting .160. So if he were here there’s no reason he shouldn’t be playing 2B. Stowers was extra …but after a brutal start over there he’s actually gotten the average around .210. I’m not see he’s a keeper but this seems a lot for a project type back end starter.

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Norby is playing 2B nearly everyday and is hitting .313 according to ESPNs Saturday box score. I guess I feel like that would he welcome considering Holliday is hitting .160. So if he were here there’s no reason he shouldn’t be playing 2B. Stowers was extra …but after a brutal start over there he’s actually gotten the average around .210. I’m not see he’s a keeper but this seems a lot for a project type back end starter.

Rogers was a former AS that we were hoping that our pitching lab/analytics could tap into. Plus begin LH at OPACY. 

Ironically, Irvin will be back too it looks like. Irvin the guy Rogers was supposed to replace. 

The Rogers trade isn’t that big of a deal because we Burnes, Eflin, and Suarez for the playoffs. We’ll see if we need a game 4 SP. 

Norby was never going to play here. We all can still root for him though. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

And you could have done better than Rogers for those two...that is my main problem with the trade. Norby's OBP is 377!

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

wait til the league adjusts and they slump, and all on the Marlin forums tell you how bad they are. In case, I wish them future success.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

According to cot's he had 3 years and 94 days at the beginning of the year.  I believe this was the first time he was optioned this year, so even if he stays in the minors the rest of the year, he'll have way more days than needed for his 4th year of service time.

I didn’t think prior seasons could be added to “complete” a full year - not for purposes of free agency, anyway.  Unless Wikipedia is wrong (could be!):

If a player is on the major league roster for 171 or fewer days, they do not earn a year of service time, and partial years cannot be combined.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_time_manipulation#:~:text=If a player is on,for eligibility for free agency.

Edited by McLovin

19 minutes ago, gamiliel said:

And you could have done better than Rogers for those two...

I see this sentiment everywhere…what evidence do you have this is true?  Do you think Elias took a worse deal?  Do you these 2 were highly sought after?

For the sake of accuracy, Norby has started 9 times at 3B and 2 times at 2B.  It’s unclear where they see his future but they did switch him to 3B after the trade.  It’s unclear if they feel he’s not strong at 2B or whether it’s just a better fit for them.    He certainly looks good so far.

1 hour ago, gamiliel said:

And you could have done better than Rogers for those two...that is my main problem with the trade. Norby's OBP is 377!

There is no way to know if Elias could have done better. He did say the price of pitching went up drastically between the Eflin and Rogers trades. It may turn out to be a bad trade but we will never know what the other options were. 

• Upvote 1

If Norby were here playing everyday w Holliday on the bench or in AAA, the board would be melting down.