Yanks Release JD Davis, Any Interest? (Update: O's sign him)

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

We could theoretically cut Slater or Jimenez for him.

The latter is unlikely IMO, but maybe on the former.

No way on Slater - they want the OF help.  Unlikely but yeah possible on Jimenez.  I'd be pretty surprised if they gave up on him already though, especially for someone as marginal as Davis.

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

No way on Slater - they want the OF help.  Unlikely but yeah possible on Jimenez.  I'd be pretty surprised if they gave up on him already though, especially for someone as marginal as Davis.

He's marginal, but he is arguably a better fit since the IF is in pretty rough shape if Mayo and/or Holliday struggle.

I would not sign him btw, but I think it would be a perfectly defensible move after the Westburg and Mateo injuries and Norby trade thinned out the IF depth so badly.

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He's marginal, but he is arguably a better fit since the IF is in pretty rough shape if Mayo and/or Holliday struggle.

I would not sign him btw, but I think it would be a perfectly defensible move after the Westburg and Mateo injuries and Norby trade thinned out the IF depth so badly.

Agreed.

19 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Absolutely not. 

Any particular reason why? He's arguably a better roster fit for us than Jimenez and Slater after the decimation of our IF depth.

19 hours ago, Say O! said:

No on JD Davis. 

As far as other recent DFAs, I think a guy like Derek Hill is potentially more interesting than Slater.  Hill scores better against LHPs, sprint speed, defense.

He does not play IF, which I think is a greater area of concern than the OF presently.

The Orioles have very little depth in the infield after trading Norby and the Westburg/Mateo injuries. The problem is that Davis isn't very good in the field (although he is likely better than Mayo). I trust Urias to be a better fielder and Mayo to have the better bat, so I dont know if there's a place for him. I'd be all for it if he would accept an assignment to the minors, but I'm doubtful on that. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I have a feeling that Irvin will do better in another organization than he did with us.  It seemed like the O’s were trying to make him into something he wasn’t, chasing higher velo, etc.   Also, I don’t think Brandon Hyde really believed in him.  We’ll see next year.  
    • Who thought the run D would struggle? Why would anyone think that?
    • Royals lose, now 3 games back of us in the loss column.  Twins lose, now 5 games back of us in the loss column. 
    • Oh it’s definitely harder but I think teams are de-emphasizing it. Again, not saying they shouldn’t but I believe it has gone too far.
    • I think there are a lot of pitchers who made progress this year and may help the major league team some day, but there don’t appear to be a lot of high ceiling guys who could be TOR or even MOR pitchers.   Saying that, sometimes pitchers surprise you.  Nobody gave John Means a second thought until he showed up in the majors and was effective.     
    • No, Arizona was 84-78 for the entire season which is 6 games above 500 and played in the World Series.  Texas was 15-13 in September and won the World Series.  They didn’t play much better.  I have never nor I don’t think many people here think everything is fine and dandy.  In two weeks this same group of players with some added additions from injuries could play better.  They could play closer to the team which played in April and May.  
    • Has it gotten devalued, or just harder to do?   I would far prefer a .260-.280 average BA to today’s .244.   I do think that one reason BAs are lower is that batters are emphasizing swinging for power.  But the bigger reason is, pitchers have just gotten bettter.  They throw harder, with more spin, and have a wider array of pitches than ever before.  It’s harder and harder to make solid contact, so if you do, be sure to hit it hard.    By the way, I have a simple way to raise batting averages by 10+ points: bring in the robo-umps and eliminate the 12% of called strikes that are actually balls.  Yes, the 4% of called strikes that are actually balls also will go away, but the net advantage to the hitters will be significant.  And the beauty is, you’re not changing the rules of the game or the strike zone.   You’re improving enforcement of the actual strike zone.  Do it!  
  • Popular Contributors