Cole Irvin 2024

OsFanInOhio

Anyone else shocked he made it through waivers to get assigned to Norfolk (at least for orioles transactions and  Roch). I figured someone like the white Sox or any rebuilding team would pick him uP to absorb innings and try to get some value out of. 

im pretty happy if it’s true that he made it through and is going down to Norfolk. He was pretty good out of the pen last year down the stretch and good the first 2+ months this year. I like to think we can figure out what is going on and either get him back to a serviceable #5/long man or at least get him back to where we can get some trade value out of him. 

1 minute ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Anyone else shocked he made it through waivers to get assigned to Norfolk (at least for orioles transactions and  Roch). I figured someone like the white Sox or any rebuilding team would pick him uP to absorb innings and try to get some value out of. 

im pretty happy if it’s true that he made it through and is going down to Norfolk. He was pretty good out of the pen last year down the stretch and good the first 2+ months this year. I like to think we can figure out what is going on and either get him back to a serviceable #5/long man or at least get him back to where we can get some trade value out of him. 

As bad as Irvin has been, he's probably a good bet to be better than one of the WS' non-Crochet starters.  Does Irvin still have 2 years of control left.  I was sure he had only one.  Cot's has him at 3.083 before this year, so he will end up somewhat barely over 4 unless he gets called up again.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

As bad as Irvin has been, he's probably a good bet to be better than one of the WS' non-Crochet starters.  Does Irvin still have 2 years of control left.  I was sure he had only one.  Cot's has him at 3.083 before this year, so he will end up somewhat barely over 4 unless he gets called up again.

Per spotrac he just had his first year of arb eligibility and has two more…

And agreed he’s better than some of the white Sox back end options  hell, he’s an excuse for them not to bring up rookies and start their clocks. I’d have thought with his history of being at least a solid back end innings eater that SOMEONE would have taken a chance on him, even if just to be a long man in the pen for a bit to see if they can figure him out.

im glad nobody did, but it surprised the hell out of me to see he cleared waivers when someone like McKenna didn’t (I know he’s not a pitcher, so not a great comparison…but still). 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/player/_/id/20500/cole-irvin#:~:text=2024-2024 Arbitration,average annual salary of %242%2C000%2C000.

7 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Per spotrac he just had his first year of arb eligibility and has two more…

And agreed he’s better than some of the white Sox back end options  hell, he’s an excuse for them not to bring up rookies and start their clocks. I’d have thought with his history of being at least a solid back end innings eater that SOMEONE would have taken a chance on him, even if just to be a long man in the pen for a bit to see if they can figure him out.

im glad nobody did, but it surprised the hell out of me to see he cleared waivers when someone like McKenna didn’t (I know he’s not a pitcher, so not a great comparison…but still). 

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/player/_/id/20500/cole-irvin#:~:text=2024-2024 Arbitration,average annual salary of %242%2C000%2C000.

The chance of him getting past Elias if another team had him and the O's were still rebuilding is about zero.  Funny how teams like the WS pass up free chances to get better.  Maybe that's why they're challenging the worst ML record ever.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The chance of him getting past Elias if another team had him and the O's were still rebuilding is about zero.  Funny how teams like the WS pass up free chances to get better.  Maybe that's why they're challenging the worst ML record ever.

Such a terrible team, yet they started thorpe’s clock without him pitching a single inning in aaa iirc. It makes me appreciate Elias all the more. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

In his latest blog, Roch reports Irvin has disappeared from the Norfolk transaction page. Maybe he declined after all?

Irvin had been DFA'ed before?  I thought that was the only way you could refuse assignment.

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

His salary owed for this season is why nobody claimed him. 

Uh….his salary for this year was 2mm….prorated for the rest of the season is a couple hundred k. There is 0 chance that’s stopping teams from claiming him. 

3 hours ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Uh….his salary for this year was 2mm….prorated for the rest of the season is a couple hundred k. There is 0 chance that’s stopping teams from claiming him. 

Your math is off.  49/162X2,000,000= $604,938.  That's not a fortune in MLB terms, but I could see that standing in the way of a team claiming a guy like Irvin.

21 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Your math is off.  49/162X2,000,000= $604,938.  That's not a fortune in MLB terms, but I could see that standing in the way of a team claiming a guy like Irvin.

I’d call 600k a couple hundred k to an mlb team. That’s basically a mlb vet minimum salary for a whole year. One of Irvin’s biggest appeals is his cost control over the next two years. MLB teams are actively claiming folks with 800k contracts and then sending them to the minors - which means they will now pay them like 250k to play aaa or aa. fangraphs has the white Sox 2024 estimated salary as 148mm . If they make decisions based of 600k, they deserve to be the worst team in baseball (not just them, but using them as an example).

I'm very happy he cleared waivers. He's shown well pretty often over the last couple of years, but then can't sustain it. I still see him as having a chance to provide value for this year's team out of the bullpen if he can get straightened out.

But we'd have to offer him arbitration, right? So is it likely that he could be around next year?

7 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

I’d call 600k a couple hundred k to an mlb team. That’s basically a mlb vet minimum salary for a whole year. One of Irvin’s biggest appeals is his cost control over the next two years. MLB teams are actively claiming folks with 800k contracts and then sending them to the minors - which means they will now pay them like 250k to play aaa or aa. fangraphs has the white Sox 2024 estimated salary as 148mm . If they make decisions based of 600k, they deserve to be the worst team in baseball (not just them, but using them as an example).

I would agree with you if we were talking about a player that looked like he might help a team in their playoff push.  Irvin simply isn't in that category.  They'd much rather promote one of their young guys than pay Irvin $600k and get similar or worse results.  Again, it isn't big money to MLB teams, but it isn't an amount that they want to burn, either.

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I would agree with you if we were talking about a player that looked like he might help a team in their playoff push.  Irvin simply isn't in that category.  They'd much rather promote one of their young guys than pay Irvin $600k and get similar or worse results.  Again, it isn't big money to MLB teams, but it isn't an amount that they want to burn, either.

It’s not about a playoff push. It’s about he’s a proven mlb arm to try to salvage with 2 years of control left. You don’t claim him for now, you claim him in hopes of getting excess value out of him in 2025. Like when we claimed Jorge Mateo. The dollar amount isn’t the same, but the idea is. And they burn that kinda money all the time. We paid Tony kemp 1mm for this year, knowing he was just filling a roster spot until Jackson came up.