Is Brandon Hyde the Orioles version of Mark Jackson with the Golden State Warriors

Deadwood Fan

Brandon Hyde's Future   

83 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Orioles make a managerial change after this season if they dont make the playoffs or have a quick exit in the playoffs?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/04/24 at 06:37

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So does Hyde get credit for good pinch hitting decision yesterday and starting Jiménez vs a righty today?  I’m just curious if he only gets blame or if some shred of credit goes to him?

No no no. The cool thing now is to complain that we don't get calls because he doesn't yell at the umps enough. 

12 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

No no no. The cool thing now is to complain that we don't get calls because he doesn't yell at the umps enough. 

“I’m a fan and I need my manager to do things that make zero difference but they make me feel better!”

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

I wasn’t aware Francona was planning on returning to baseball. This would have definitely been a move where it felt like a manager could have taken the O’s to that “next level”.

Yeah, I saw that this morning. And I was instantly depressed that we still have Hyde and now the Reds have Francona.  The Reds had the advantage of time to make this decision. But even if the timing had worked out where we could have made a move like this, I don't think postseason experience and success is something this organization values.  

Will note that Stephen Vogt will be a MOY finalist, at minimum, for taking the same roster that retired Francona and doing 16.5 games better, with a division championship and a bye.

Will also note that NL MOY finalists will include Mendoza and Schildt, both of whom will get there on the back of taking over high-money, high-talent rosters that failed under the sort of managers many seem to be seeking.

Will also also note that the lesson to take from the Warriors replacing Mark Jackson with Steve Kerr probably isn’t the benefit of a hard-nosed disciplinarian who eschews the modern style for old-school tactics. 

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Elias not interested in a WS champion. He will maintain a fringe playoff team and never make the bold moves necessary.

Hyde is a JAG and nothing about him indicates that he could ever manage a championship team.

🙄

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• A question precedes #2: when will the left field wall be fixed?  I think I remember Elias saying they probably went too far, which is quite literally true.  No reason they can't fix it quickly.  I had no problem with them moving it back but it is pretty absurd where it is.
    • On #3, I would guess that Elias is very wary about going longer than 3 years for a starting pitcher (maybe four years if pitcher is younger and AAV is favorable).  I think Mike and Sig believe the history of long-term SP deals isn’t favorable and the wrong deal could derail a mid-market team with dead money.  I’m not sure they are wrong (e.g., Patrick Corbin, Strasberg).   I don’t think ownership cares directly; I would guess they just give Elias an annual baseball ops budget and forecast and he can choose how he manages against that.   Not in play Gerrit Cole Corbin Burnes Max Fried Blake Snell Jack Flaherty    Possible free agent targets Yusei Kikuchi Nathan Eovaldi Nick Pivetta Sean Manaea Luis Severino Alex Cobb Max Scherzer Justin Verlander Jose Quintana Frankie Montas Spencer Turnbull Andrew Heaney Matthew Boyd   Possible trade targets Garret Crotchet Sandy Alcantera Jesus Luzardo Eduardo Cabrera Reid Detmers Emerson Hancock Jordan Montgomery Lance McCullers Jr.
    • Is Webb anything special.  I would rather replace Webb with Norfolk shuttle guy.
    • Our SS is Gunnar, our CF in this scenario would be Cowser, and C is Adley. Hopefully none of those guys are in contention for being the team's worst hitter next season. We don't need a power bat in LF - we need to add a good contact bat, that can use all fields and run.
    • Kemp was part of it but bringing back 2 UTIL IF is blocking your best prospect when your manager covets veteranosity. If they aren’t resigned then Holliday gets a longer leash. 
    • LF is a bit of a waste of a spot for #9 hitter.  Its not a premium defensive position so you shoudl be able to get a decent bat who can also play there.  If you're worst hitter isn't an SS, C or CF, either you're contending for a WS , or something isn't quite right.  And this team isn't quite WS contenders just yet.
    • A lot could change between now and then, but right now he's the 4th starter. I like Povich more than most around here and think he can be a solid 4th starter. He may have been command days, but he doesn't get hit hard.  The cool new Baseball Savant chart shows his fastball and curve and have above average movement and is why his slightly below average velocity (.9 MPH below MLB avg for LHP) plays up a bit.
  • Popular Contributors