Who will be our position player September callup?

52 minutes ago, now said:

Sorry, why did we acquire Pache in the first place? Just hoping to pass thru waivers for that backup RH CFer in Sept.?

Likely due to roster reasons (and maybe a little bit of money) for the Phils.

And maybe the Os thought he could pass through waivers 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Kjerstad is the favorite.  Soto as a backup SS is in the mix.  A 3rd C.  A RH CF.  The thing with Kjerstad is that he's redundant.  

It’s also possible they could carry Kjerstad in the playoffs even if he doesn’t play much in September. If they match up with a RH dominant team Iike MIN I’m not sure they keep Slater on roster. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Westburg is on the DL not the AAA roster.

I expect Soto and Kjerstad. If Mayo doesn’t hit then they will probably send him out long enough to preserve his rookie status. 

Westburg would still require a spot on the active roster. If Kjerstad is added, then someone else would have to go to make room for Westburg. Urias? Mayo?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Likely due to roster reasons (and maybe a little bit of money) for the Phils.

And maybe the Os thought he could pass through waivers 

They didn’t know who else they might acquire.  They apparently like Slater better than Pache.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Westburg would still require a spot on the active roster. If Kjerstad is added, then someone else would have to go to make room for Westburg. Urias? Mayo?

Unless Mayo iis scorching I, guessing they’d try to preserve his rookie status

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

They didn’t know who else they might acquire.  They apparently like Slater better than Pache.  

This is my bet. Liked Pache enough but he was likely a throw in. Then when Slater became an options he was a cheap upgrade.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• This correct. https://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1426&context=jasm There are other factors, of course, certainly school has started and that has an impact. But I reckon the Orioles just puttering along isn't helping things. It'd be different if they were performing like they were to start the season. But the team currently looks like the 2015 Orioles (a .500 team) than the 2023 Orioles (or first half 2024 Orioles, for that matter). 
    • Yep. You know my thoughts on all of this and it is frustrating. Even not dealing guys like Mountcastle, Hays or O'Hearn this offseason to make space for guys was short sighted.  Besides Gunnar, Adley and Holliday, and Westburg to a lesser extent, none of the other prospects like Ortiz, Kjerstad, Cowser, Norby, Stowers, and Mayo were given everyday opportunities from the start. When they did play them, they have a nice game and instantly be back on the bench for days at a time. Cowser finally forced the issue by having that strong start and good defense, if he had struggled at all, Hays would still be in LF. Ortiz or Westburg should have been the starting 2B last year when they wasted money on Frazier. They came into this year with Cowser and Kjerstad needing everyday PAs, but instead brought their entire outfield back.  For a team that has been drafting college hitters mostly, it does seem weird that the offense stinks and they have to employ the likes of Jimenez, Rivera and Maton and the only prospects they had ready have really struggled, one of which Mayo is getting the backup experience. 
    • Went through Trevor Rogers MiLB Statcast, and he averaging 89.7mph on his 4 seamer and 89.2 on his sinker. Out of the 100 pitches, 61 were either a 4 seamer or a sinker. Of those, 18 were over 90mph (30%). I don't know, it is incredibly discouraging that we are now seeing him not even average 90mph whereas before the trade he was 92-92.5mph on average. Where did that 2+mph go? Is it entirely because of some supposed mechanics they're trying to implement to get him to *gain* his velocity back? Or is there another injury and/or dead arm.  
    • I’m pretty happy with the A+/A pitchers.   In addition to the pitchers who I think are competitive for POY, there are some younger guys whose numbers or innings don’t put them in position for this award, but who have long term potential.  I don’t think anyone I listed has a super high ceiling but I do think some of them could be back of rotation starters or relievers on a future O’s team.  
    • You aren’t wrong but most tickets are sold before the season, so some of this doesn’t matter. In season sales are probably hurt some though.
    • And btw, I’m not saying you try to field a team that is only made of players 25 years old or younger…you need some vets…but get good ones. If you are going to block these kids, who are really talented, block them with players that are actual difference makers.    I know they were hamstrung by Angelos and that hurt obviously but you could have done more with what you had imo.
  • Popular Contributors