Breaking News

Peace21

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My source has told me that Wieters is a done deal, and that he has signed to a big league deal. Take it for what its worth. The O's and Wieters are keeping it hush hush he said.

Go O's

Another "is it just me, or..."?

Is it just me, or... is that giving us absolutely no news? You're not exactly going out on a limb there.

There was little doubt in my mind that they'd sign him. I'm sure the other kid will fall too, now that they got the big one out of the way.The team has the money, and after some of the terrible contracts they issued last winter, it's inconcievable that they would blow this negotiation over half a mill or whatever.

Nice work, but it looks like NoVa posted a Keith Law blog piece which predates Peace's scoop by 24 hours.

Well, well...buried deep in this Keith Law blog post today was something I'm sure most of you would be interested in seeing:

Quote:

The second-most popular topic was the unsigned players from this June's draft. The Rays will get David Price done right before next week's signing deadline, probably in the $5-6 million range. Moustakas and the Royals are talking, but no deal is close. Rick Porcello, Wieters (around $4.5 million), and Andrew Brackman ($3 million) all have deals in place or close to it. We'll also see a slew of "signability" guys sign above-slot deals once we get to Aug. 14, the day before the deadline.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...name=law_keith

Still good to have some confirmation from an inside source. I'm assuming that even though Peace21 says it's a "done deal," it won't be announced until closer to the deadline for political reasons.

Still good to have some confirmation from an inside source. I'm assuming that even though Peace21 says it's a "done deal," it won't be announced until closer to the deadline for political reasons.

Boras or McPhail running for office? :P

The way Boras procrastinates, he should be a shoo-in.

Maybe I was nitpicking. They way your post struck me, was that, as fans, it might be a lot to ask for those three things to happen. IMO, we should expect ouir team to sign our 1st and 5th round picks. 95% of the teams do so every single year. For our team, specifically, anything less would be a crime. As for acquiring Cabrera, I don't know the particulars, but I think he was basically released or DFA's or whatever, so it's not like it's going to be a huge move to bring him in here. I certainly don't think it's a lot to ask for.

Right...Let's not make it sound like it is a big deal that these guys did their jobs and did something that most teams do all the time.

Maybe I was nitpicking. They way your post struck me, was that, as fans, it might be a lot to ask for those three things to happen. IMO, we should expect ouir team to sign our 1st and 5th round picks. 95% of the teams do so every single year. For our team, specifically, anything less would be a crime. As for acquiring Cabrera, I don't know the particulars, but I think he was basically released or DFA's or whatever, so it's not like it's going to be a huge move to bring him in here. I certainly don't think it's a lot to ask for.

I accept your logic but Boras will fight down to the wire for the last dollar for his draft picks. He will also tell the draft picks to wait and not sign because the money is not good enough. So while the FO is dealing with Boras they have to outbid and court Cabrera to get him signed. That is a lot going on in three days.

I accept that if you are dealing with a normal agent the signing the top 5 choices has a high probably of happening. However Boras is doing the bargaining and Angelos in doing the spending. This is McPhail first really test in that vice. The squeeze is on.

I accept your logic but Boras will fight down to the wire for the last dollar for his draft picks. He will also tell the draft picks to wait and not sign because the money is not good enough. So while the FO is dealing with Boras they have to outbid and court Cabrera to get him signed. That is a lot going on in three days.

I accept that if you are dealing with a normal agent the signing the top 5 choices has a high probably of happening. However Boras is doing the bargaining and Angelos in doing the spending. This is McPhail first really test in that vice. The squeeze is on.

Assuming Jordan is the point man on the negotiations w/Boras, there are seemingly plenty of others in the front office that could court Cabrera.

They have 1 head Gm and 2 assts....Plus, other FO personnel.

If they can't handle this, they should all be fired immediately.

Why do you always look for an excuse for them?

Archived