Some recent age 29 comps for Anthony Santander (HR focused)

Frobby

Good research, but the issue isn't so much power as his already borderline acceptable speed, defense, and contact rates getting even worse. Santander can't afford to lose another step or he's a 1B/DH. If he loses 10-20 points of BA, he's a fringe major-leaguer.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, zweem said:

Ain't that a good starting point---or last 3 games.

Well he has 28Ks in his last 28 innings. I mean even after an 8 ER 4 inning performance he’s a 3.10 ERA pitcher.  His previous start was a 6 IP 3 ER outing. It’s easy to bundle a SSS 3 start stint. But if you extend that to 5 he has 3 QS out of 5.

Edited by Roll Tide

On 8/17/2024 at 8:08 PM, Roll Tide said:

Eh …. Based on what? He has a .380 ish OBP in the minors. In 70 ABs so far this year his OBP is .370 OBP and that includes a 2 for 18 after being plunked. 

I just don't love him as a prospect. He's got some holes in his swing that I think will be increasingly exposed with more time at the ML level. He can't field and if he is out there, he kills you the least in RF. He's got big time pop but I don't love his ability to make hard contact, consistently, against major league pitching. I just don't see him as a long-term piece who is eventually going to exclusively DH. 

On 8/18/2024 at 7:27 AM, Roll Tide said:

Well he has 28Ks in his last 28 innings. I mean even after an 8 ER 4 inning performance he’s a 3.10 ERA pitcher.  His previous start was a 6 IP 3 ER outing. It’s easy to bundle a SSS 3 start stint. But if you extend that to 5 he has 3 QS out of 5.

era last 4 years        k/9       h/9       whip

3.1                           8.43       7.73     1.11

3.39                         9.29       6.55      1.07

2.94                       10.83       6.42        .97

2.43                        12.61      6.63         .94

3 and 3/4 seasons ---- not SSS

On 8/17/2024 at 9:13 PM, banks703 said:

It’s just what I see with my eyes. I don’t have the numbers in front of me but the holes in swing tell me that he’s going to struggle long-term with major league heat and movement. The book on him already is to pitch him in (taking one in the head is scary but I didn’t think that was on purpose, it was just them jamming him in and the ball got away from what’s his face). Even at Norfolk and Bowie I didn’t see much in-game adjustment from him when he struggled (I realize this can improve but I haven’t liked what I’ve seen) and there have been whispers that his dad is too involved. Plus he is terrible outfield defender and looked like a fish out of water at first.

I love the power. That’s always fun but I don’t see much else developing with him. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t see it. 

I'm in favor of trading Kjerstad.  I think he below average defense is going to cancel out a good bit of his offense.  His defensive errors contributed to losing a couple games already this year.  The O's don't need another DH w/ O'Hearn, Rutschmann, and soon Mayo and eventually Basallo all on the roster.  I'm not saying those are all full time DHs but guys w/ DH at bats.

Great stuff.

On the other hand, two of the first four guys on your list won World Series rings during those age 30-34 seasons.  

Sometimes you gotta push your chips in for an important veteran when your window is open. He could be the difference in 2025 or 2026…

Edited by TommyPickles

11 hours ago, zweem said:

era last 4 years        k/9       h/9       whip

3.1                           8.43       7.73     1.11

3.39                         9.29       6.55      1.07

2.94                       10.83       6.42        .97

2.43                        12.61      6.63         .94

3 and 3/4 seasons ---- not SSS

Noted….hes still a #1 pitcher.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Noted….hes still a #1 pitcher.

Will he be in 3 or more years?--Will he be worth almost 2x's Santander salary???  Will his arm hold up?? Sorry but I would pass. I do appreciate how excellent he has been to this point.

On 8/17/2024 at 9:59 PM, Aristotelian said:

Assuming a finite budget, would you rather have Santander for 5/$100 or Eovaldi for 3/$70 and Santander's comp pick?

My perspective is Kjerstad will give us ~80% of Santander at 1/20th the price, with upside to be better.

I like Tony, but if I'm in charge of allocating resources, it seems borderline negligent to spend that money on Santander instead of pitching and extensions.