Roster moves 8-22-24 (3 up, 3 down)

eddie83

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The key difference here is that, IIRC, the Astros got their injuries out of the way early.  

Not true. The Astros lost Cristian Javier, Luis Garcia, and Jose Urquidy for the season and they're not coming back. That's a significant chunk of a solid rotation. Kyle Tucker is still out, he was having a MVP-consideration type of season when he first went down. He was actually the closest to Gunnar's production early on.

The Astros just lost Ryan Pressly. I don't want to hear people giving Hyde and Elias excuses for injuries when one of the strengths of this organization heading into this season was excellent depth. Al Suarez has provided quality innings not far off of what Bradish and Grayson would have provided, and he wouldn't have sniffed the rotation if it hadn't been for multiple SP injuries. 

We have plenty of pieces to still win it all, and we'll have a few key guys hopefully coming back. 

Edited by Brooks The Great

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Adding Rivera (which I totally don't get unless Urias is hurt), Vespi, and Bowman (on his what 4th team this year?) doesn't make me feel better about this team. 

Why demote Selby who has actually pitched well?

Need fresh arms?  We're pretty thin/desperate in the pen and on our bench.  Norby and Stowers were our position player depth.  Kjerstad out with a concussion too.  

Why don't we give Nick Maton a shot?  He's got some pop and is having a good AAA season.  LH pop too.  

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm assuming Rivera allows Urias to move to second and gives Holliday a day off against a lefty. 

Heaven forbid the new infielder to come up is Coby Mayo. Why not let the kid hit as a DH and se if he can give us a spark?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Heaven forbid the new infielder to come up is Coby Mayo. Why not let the kid hit as a DH and se if he can give us a spark?

I don't think the 2024 story is written on Mayo.  I say they give him 2-3 weeks in the minors and let him come up and see if he can implement the changes.  I also have no problem with him strictly as a DH.  Mounty, O'Hearn, and Eloy, aren't exactly lighting the world on fire.  Adley too.  

2 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Not true. The Astros lost Cristian Javier, Luis Garcia, and Jose Urquidy for the season and they're not coming back. That's a significant chunk of a solid rotation. Kyle Tucker is still out, he was having a MVP-consideration type of season when he first went down. He was actually the closest to Gunnar's production early on.

The Astros just lost Ryan Pressly. I don't want to hear people giving Hyde and Elias excuses for injuries when one of the strengths of this organization heading into this season was excellent depth. Al Suarez has provided quality innings not far off of what Bradish and Grayson would have provided, and he wouldn't have sniffed the rotation if it hadn't been for multiple SP injuries. 

We have plenty of pieces to still win it all, and we'll have a few key guys hopefully coming back. 

So injuries don't play a part in what's going on lately?  What are you saying here?

Sure, we've got depth but I think people confuse the idea of depth being able to replace someone and being able to adequately replace the first stringer's value.  What we have here, IMO, are a lot of guys that have a lot of upside in their careers to replace a player...like Jackson Holliday 2.0 replacing Mateo, or trying out Mayo at third for a little bit.

I don't care who you are, if any team were to lose their 2nd (Bradish), 3rd (Grayson), 4th (Means), and 5th (Eflin), starters for any stretch like we have, they'd be dicked.  You can point all you want to the Astros, they still traded for Kikuchi.  There's no "depth" to replace the amount the Orioles have lost...even though Suarez has done a good job.  There's no "depth" to replace a guy like Bautista...you can try with a guy like Kimbrel, but outside of Hader (who I wanted), there wasn't anyone who was going to be able to replace that production 1:1.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

You're crazy to think this team doesn't still have World Series aspirations. The Phillies, Yankees, and Dodgers have all been roughly as bad as the O's over the past 6-8 weeks. The Dodgers also have an entire rotation on the IL and lost Mookie Betts for around 2 months. The Orioles should also get back some of Coulombe, Webb, Eflin, Grayson, and Westburg in September - hopefully all of them.

You're also crazy to think the Orioles don't have aspirations after watching the Rangers win it all with a very similar team, after also struggling mightily at points during the 2023 season. The Astros look like a WS contender now, but during the first 2 months of the season they were awful, and most people wrote them off. I'm sure you did, too. You'd also be wrong to write off the O's now.

And the Astros, by the way, have also had several reliable SPs hit the IL, Verlander has been hurt, and Kyle Tucker has missed significant time. But the Astros don't have anywhere near the minor league depth to combat hitting injuries that the O's do/have had. We have an elite prospect in Coby Mayo - someone we weren't even willing to give everyday at bats to - waiting in the minors ready to contribute. Mayo can be similar to the Orioles to what Evan Carter was last year for the Rangers. We just need to get rid of Eloy eventually (Elias demoting Rogers gives me hope he'll bail on Eloy soon as well).

And I say it's wrong to write off the O's as someone that thinks Hyde is an awful manager and that Elias (a GM who just gave away two quality prospects for a bum SP that he demoted to the minors 3 weeks later) has done a poor job managing the roster this season. There's still plenty of talent on the Orioles to win it all.

If we had anywhere near a full compliment of players, this is a fantastic team. But you also have to be realistic.

At a point though, not having Bautista, Coloumbe, Wells, Eflin, Rodriguez, Means, Bradish, Westburg etcetera is too much to overcome. Adley is either hurt or slumping badly. Mountcastle has lost his power stroke.

Does all that mean we can't turn it around? No. All I said was that with all of that adversity making the playoffs would be impressive. Making the WS with those difficulties would be otherworldly.

Side note. Telling people they're crazy because they don't agree with you is a bit silly.

• Upvote 1

I understand that they need an all hands on deck approach right now, but the hands really are not good enough. 

Vespi...whatever. He's had some moments when he's been effective. The other 2 are just "warm bodies ". 

The cupboard isn't bare, but we're getting down to the ramen.

1 hour ago, Orioles0615 said:

Just shuffling the deck chairs at this point 

Since the optionable bullpen arms aren’t good, there’s a logic to having the freshest  of those bad arms available. Kind of a defeatist logic, but a logic nonetheless.

• Upvote 1