Keeping John Means Y/N

HowAboutThat

21 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Obviously dependent on what he is willing to sign for.

But I think Cleveland is seeing with Boyd this year, that signing a guy who will miss a chunk of the year recovering from injury, to a speculative contract, can provide a boost to a team in a pennant race.   EVERYBODY has pitcher injuries, having a guy who has been kept in reserve and suddenly becomees available to pitch in August can be a big deal.

Boyd gets 10 million this year, he’s 32, and threw 16 innings so far. But he’s a FA after this season, 10 million bucks is a lot o’ dough for ~6 weeks of throwing.

I would have Means for an additional year for the same amount. I think it’s well worth doing, even if it doesn’t work. 10 million in this environment is next to nothing; we’re still paying Chris Davis for another lifetime or so, and we’re giving Kimbrel a million to go away, so risking 10 mill for a potential #2 is an easy yes.

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Minor league deal, yes. A major league deal for 2025, no. Those 40 man spots are getting tight.

Others said it, but what does a healthy John Means look like? It’s a valid question. 

He shouldn’t take a 40 man spot.  He is a free agent you just don’t make the signing official til the start of spring training and he can go on the 60 day dl.  It can just be understanding and good will on both ends.  

19 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Boyd gets 10 million this year, he’s 32, and threw 16 innings so far. But he’s a FA after this season, 10 million bucks is a lot o’ dough for ~6 weeks of throwing.

I would have Means for an additional year for the same amount. I think it’s well worth doing, even if it doesn’t work. 10 million in this environment is next to nothing; we’re still paying Chris Davis for another lifetime or so, and we’re giving Kimbrel a million to go away, so risking 10 mill for a potential #2 is an easy yes.

I don’t know where you are seeing $10 million for Boyd. The Guardians signed him to a 1 year contract for $3.5 million that was prorated, so he’ll receive roughly half of that. He can also earn incentives.

https://www.cleveland.com/guardians/2024/07/newly-signed-matthew-boyd-reports-to-cleveland-to-continue-rehab-guardians-takeaways.html?outputType=amp

That being said, I’m in the camp of wishing John Means well and letting him try to get back to the majors with another team. He had some nice moments during some tough years. I just don’t think the Orioles should commit a roster spot to a player that has been injured as frequently as Means regardless of how little he may cost.

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

I think John Means has to be considered in context. If he is part of plan A or B then I think @Sports Guy has it right.  No. I just don’t know that Means has enough reliability to make the investment at any price. If he is part of a plan B/C/D where we lay out some money to keep our old friend but have little cost or expectation tied to the commitment, then I am completely on board. 

So what you are saying here is basically a low risk, who cares what happens deal. That’s fine. The problem is, there is no guarantee he even pitches next year and who the hell knows how successful he will even be, with such little time pitching over a several year period. 

On top of that, really the only reason to do it is to get him cheap for 2026…but then you are relying on him to be part of the roster and likely a part of your rotation, for 2026.  I just don’t see the point.

He has throw 52.1 IP the last 3 seasons.  Next year will be the 4th season and if all goes well and he pitches in August and Sept, he will enter the 2026 season with 100ish ML innings under his belt in FOUR years.  Meanwhile, he will have had 2 TJ surgeries, arm soreness and has a history prior to that of shoulder issues.

If Means had the exact same resume but had never been an Oriole, would we even be discussing this? 

He’s a good dude and he’s been a good pitcher but we need to stop looking at him as any kind of an option.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Depends on the money. 

Dude can’t stay healthy though. 

100%.  I would love for Means to come back in am O's uniform but I'm not willing to throw a lot of money behind it.  I'd like to see him take a heavily incentivised contract with a club option on year two and three.  

We might not even get the option.  I feel like there are teams that might be willing to give him a little premium on a short term deal just to have him.  For a team that has a set rotation going into next year and 2026, he's worth a bit of a flier because when he is available he's real good.

I think he's worth taking a shot at, but I don't know if I'd be broken up about his leaving unless we're shopping 3's and 4's in FA.  He's a lower-end 1 or 2 when he gets healthy after all these injuries.