Orioles sign Nick Anderson

Getz

The man who was 25% of beating Gerrit Cole when he was at his youngest and strongest as a Yankee.

He's probably used up, and has never made much bank, because Rays, but for a minute he was maybe the world's greatest reliever.    Just ask Blake Snell.

I am sure this will be portrayed as “Elias Dumpster diving.”  I will never understand that sentiment.  These are the flyers he takes and some work out and some don’t.  Doing these kind of acquisitions doesn't prevent him from acquiring pitching talent through drafting or trading.  They are not mutually exclusive.  I know he doesn’t believe he can fill a talented pitching staff by just finding players that they can fix through their analytics.  Hopefully this is a good one.  Let's evaluate how he acquires pitching with a better budget.  

• Upvote 1

I like this signing. Anderson's the type of pitcher that can look great over a span of a few weeks--which may be all we need until our IL pitchers return and take over (fingers crossed).

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

He has to be better than Burch Smith

I like Burch Smith. If he has an option he will be back next year. 

John Brebbia just got DFAd by the CWS.

I’m pretty sure this is what Elias was thinking was going to happen, and that he could pick up 1-2 bullpen guys around this time. Last year it was Jorge Lopez. 

Obviously, I think we want Elias to be more aggressive in the future and go and get his guy instead of waiting for depth options to fall. Maybe his guy was Rogers though. Scary stuff. 

• Upvote 1

What’s the opinion on this guy?

Aug. 27: RHP Nick Anderson signing with Orioles (source)
The O's added more bullpen depth by agreeing to a deal with Anderson on Tuesday, according to a source. The 34-year-old right-hander, who is a five-year MLB veteran, had a 4.04 ERA in 37 relief outings for the Royals earlier this season.

Anderson signed a Minor League deal with the Dodgers on July 22, then invoked his opt-out clause to become a free agent on Tuesday. He had a 2.08 ERA in three outings for Triple-A Oklahoma City.

Anderson has a 3.18 ERA over 165 career big league appearances.

Edited by Wavetrapper
Font
  • Thanks 1

Just went over his BBRef page... Dude was exceptional through 2020, including a strong run through the minors. He had 6 saves for the Rays in 2020 and it just seems as though when he's finishing games he is most comfortable. (56 saves across all levels - 10 in MLB.) Looks like there was an injury in 2021 and he really sucked in the minors in 2021-2022 (though not many IP), but the Braves gave him another shot in the bigs in 2023 and he was very, very good once again - 145 ERA+ and a 1.10 WHIP in 35.2 IP. This year he was underwhelming but 'fine' for the Royals and they released him and he signed and ultimately opted out of his Dodgers minor league deal.

Looking at his K/9 numbers he was an average-to-good strikeout guy (~9.5 K/9) early on (and actually much lower in two years as a starter in the independent leagues), then something happened and he was a super-elite strikeout guy (~15 K/9) for four years (this got him to the show and a stint as a closer), then he missed some time and dropped back down the minors where he was awful (again, limited IP), and now he's back to being just an average-to-good strikeout guy (like between 7.5-9.0 K/9). I mean, I don't want to say what I think that arc looks like... so I won't.

Overall I think he's a great signing. If he's the kind of dude who is just the most comfortable closing out games maybe he can do that for us? A 9.0 K/9 is good enough if he maintains a WHIP under 1.10 and doesn't allow many runs (obviously).

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1