Orioles Claim Forrest Wall, Designate Dillon Tate For Assignment

oriolediehard

Wall has options so you can stash him while Pache didn’t which is the big difference.  Pache also is very fast but never much of a base steeler so he doesn’t help in playoffs.  I guess they feel better about the recent acquisitions they have made than Tate so he goes.  Tate may or may not get claimed as his stuff isn’t as good aslike Bowman who made it all the way to us in waiver wire.  Now him having an option makes him bit more valuable to some teams though so could see someone make a claim to stash.  I think the 40 man roster is about 30 guys that your team wants then a handful of prospects and another handful teams just pass around the league.  

Playoff pinch runner.

And I think this is the big issue with Tate (from the MLBTR article): "...a flexor strain wiped out Tate’s entire 2023 season. Since returning, he’s shown diminished velocity with lesser strikeout and grounder rates..."

I'm guessing he's just outfield defense and speed depth that could be used in the playoffs vice keeping someone like Emmanuel Rivera on the roster. 

He's a good defender who covers 34 feet/sec in the outfield and has a solid outfield arm. His 89th percentile speed make him a guy that could be used late in playoff games where needing 9 relievers is not as important as having a specialized player. 

An outfield of Cowser in LF, Mullins (CF) and Wall in RF late in games would make a very good defensive outfield.

13 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I think they may kind of Adam Frazier like him - the only red in the Batting section is the Squared-Up readout.    He can probably poke a line drive ever so softly.

Pre-parenthood I followed NL prospects more closely, and I remember his draft rep out of high school was a "pure hitter" ala perhaps Holliday or Mountcastle.

Yep, Forrest was a CB-A pick (#35) of the Colorado Rockies in 2014 out of Orangewood Christian in Orlando/Winter Park area. I saw him play some, he was a stud SS until shoulder issues in HS. Became a 2B, mostly. He was touted as a pure hitter then, with a 5 tool designation until the shoulder. It’s good to hear the arm has come back a good bit.

He’s a bit of a grinder these days. At 28, I hope he gets a chance. 

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

So we DFA’d Cristian Pache a while ago and Miami picked him up.  They DFA Forrest Wall and we picked him up.  Why do we prefer Wall over Pache while they prefer Pache over Wall?  Is it just a matter of Wall having options while Pache does not?  I am not impressed with Wall’s track record and would rather have kept Tate.  

I think we preferred Pache over wall. It was just a numbers crunch and we had to choose Slater over Pache for the 26 man at the time. Mayo was up at the time as well. 

Oh well. Pache would’ve been a nice guy to develop. Wall serves the Brett Phillips/Terrence Gore role for the playoffs. If we get there. 

No need for EBJ to be on the playoff roster. 🤪

As for Tate, he just wasn’t the same guy post TJ surgery. He didn’t have the same juice/velo/movement. Pitching is scarce. Heck, Baumann has bounced around. I’m rooting for Tate. Maybe he needs to clear 2+ years removed from TJ. 

37 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we preferred Pache over wall. It was just a numbers crunch and we had to choose Slater over Pache for the 26 man at the time. Mayo was up at the time as well. 

Oh well. Pache would’ve been a nice guy to develop. Wall serves the Brett Phillips/Terrence Gore role for the playoffs. If we get there. 

No need for EBJ to be on the playoff roster. 🤪

As for Tate, he just wasn’t the same guy post TJ surgery. He didn’t have the same juice/velo/movement. Pitching is scarce. Heck, Baumann has bounced around. I’m rooting for Tate. Maybe he needs to clear 2+ years removed from TJ. 

Once again,  Tate never had Tommy John surgery.  

17 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

This guy has to be a good defender because his offense looks underwhelming, to put it lightly. He has 89th percentile sprint speed. 

He has options the next two years, so they must view him as a potential lefty up/down 5th/6th OF for depth purposes. As a lefty bat I don’t ever see him as a good bench fit while all the lefty starting OF are healthy. 

Basically, Brett Phillips with options.

89th percentile sprint speed?  I can hear the chants now... RUN FORREST RUN!