Mayo coming back up

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  What do you expect Mayo’s playing time to be and where?

It’s hard to say because it really depends on how much management can stomach it if Mayo keeps looking like an absolute butcher at third. If he can at least settle in to being a below average but not terrible defender, I would think he starts the majority of the remaining games at third. 

Playing time at first probably depends on how much longer RMC is out. Didn’t sound promising based on the vague reports during last nights game. 

30 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  What do you expect Mayo’s playing time to be and where?

I think he will play vs LHP at least. Not sure where. Ideally 1B but I honestly don't know if he is competent there. I don't think Rivera's 5 AB's should materially affect where Mayo plays. Should be the opposite.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Back in 2021, Eloy’s GB % was 48.4.   It went up each year after that to it’s current 56.9%.     Yes.  He’s lead footed but he hits the ball hard and he has power.   The Orioles, I believe, clearly trying to get him to elevate more and get back to that 30 hr type of guy.    Might not work but I think they see progress and I doubt they pull the plug now.

He has one home run in 73 PAs with the Orioles, and that one was a barely over the wall Coors Stadium home run. I'm not sure why anyone would think the Orioles can fix anyone at the major league level. What person came here and became a much better hitter? 

Just because he had a nice game Friday night and hit a homer yesterday does not change the fact that he's a slow, right-handed DH with limited game power. He has a very empty .723 OPS. He's been worth -0.1 FWAR with the Orioles and has a 88 OPS+.

If the Orioles want to use him as a Benny Ayala type pinch hitter against lefties, cool, but he should not be starting for a contending team and if he's DHing in the playoffs, something has gone wrong.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Lefty Ty Blach is apparently starting now so we should soon learn more about preferred defensive configurations.

I can't believe this guy is still in the majors. Seems like the perfect guy to get right with the bats on, but we shall see. Hopefully Mayo gets a start at 1B or DH.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He has one home run in 73 PAs with the Orioles, and that one was a barely over the wall Coors Stadium home run. I'm not sure why anyone would think the Orioles can fix anyone at the major league level. What person came here and became a much better hitter? 

Just because he had a nice game Friday night and hit a homer yesterday does not change the fact that he's a slow, right-handed DH with limited game power. He has a very empty .723 OPS. He's been worth -0.1 FWAR with the Orioles and has a 88 OPS+.

If the Orioles want to use him as a Benny Ayala type pinch hitter against lefties, cool, but he should not be starting for a contending team and if he's DHing in the playoffs, something has gone wrong.

He did have another homer get robbed by Duran.  Not really disagreeing with you but just wanted to mention it.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Say what you want, but the fact that he has 73 PA and continues to get starts is probably because the Orioles think they can get him to tap into his power.   Are you saying you don’t think he has any power even if he starts to consistently get the ball in the air more often? 

Again, it’s not about what I think.  It’s about what the Orioles think.

25 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I think he will play vs LHP at least. Not sure where. Ideally 1B but I honestly don't know if he is competent there. I don't think Rivera's 5 AB's should materially affect where Mayo plays. Should be the opposite.

Coby starting at 3b batting 6th 

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Probably doesn’t change your point but the Homer last night was most certainly not ‘barely over the wall’. It cleared by plenty and was measured at 437 feet. It did just go to the left of the taller wall out there, but hitting that would have been bad luck, not a reflection on how hard the ball was hit. 

Not saying Eloy is suddenly going to be a 30 HR guy again, but there’s been progress on getting the ball in the air over those 73 plate appearances.  Whether he continues to move in the right direction is certainly up for debate. And I don’t disagree at all about how slow and plodding he is. He’d have to hit almost on a Big Papi level to make up for his lack of other skills. And that is not happening. 

As far as him DH vs RHP, who else do we have right now? Mayo is not a better choice and we probably need him at third now anyway. He likely wouldn’t be in the lineup if RMC was here to play first so O’Hearn could DH.  Our depth was significant but now it is just completely gone. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Coby starting at 3b batting 6th 

Maybe Eflin can throw everything on the outer half of the plate to RH hitters and inner half to lefties to lessen the chances he has to handle anything on defense.