Wall Street Journal article on David Rubenstein

accinfo

https://www.wsj.com/sports/baseball/david-rubenstein-baltimore-orioles-owner-e4c676e6?mod=hp_featst_pos4

Very nice article on David Rubenstein in the Journal on buying the Orioles.  It is behind a pay wall so if you don’t have a subscription you most likely can’t read it.  However here are some quotes that make me optimistic about the future.

“I enjoy it, but I enjoy it more when we win,” he said. “When we lose, it’s no fun.”

“I’ve chaired a lot of boards in the nonprofit world, maybe more than sensible,” Rubenstein said, ticking off a few: the Kennedy Center; the Smithsonian; some basketball school in Durham called Duke. “In all those things, I’ve never had people come up to me and want selfies.”

“I find myself coming to baseball games at a pace that I never thought I would,” he said. 

One area Rubenstein said he didn’t insert himself was the baseball itself. He knew enough to know what he didn’t know. Steered by acclaimed general manager Mike Elias—“as good as you get,” Rubenstein said

“I don’t think I’m competent enough yet to be able to really give [Elias] much input of value,” Rubenstein said of playing personnel. “I can say, well, I’m willing to spend the money for this.” 

“I told them I wanted the best Spring Training facility,” Rubenstein said. “I don’t want to be scrimping on it.”

“What’s life about, but trying to make people happy?” Rubenstein asked. “As I’ve said many times in speeches, the most elusive thing in life is personal happiness. [Thomas] Jefferson wrote about it, but he never actually defined how you become happy.”

“When you can please people by sports,” he said, “it is a form of happiness for me.”

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing this!   

I think this is about as positive as we can reasonably expect.   Sounds like he wants to win and doesn't have a problem knowing that he will have to increase spending to do so consistently.

• Upvote 1