Can Cowser still win Rookie of The Year over Gil/Wells ?

jem709

21 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Does Gil start again? Cowser has two more games

I thought the same thing. But I think the body of work is what it is. I know it’s not an apples to apples comp, but it’s pretty funny that Gil has an ERA+ of 126, and Cowser has a OPS+ of 125. 

It wouldn’t be a robbery if either one won it. I think the Yankee pinstripes wins out. 

I’d be surprised if Cowser gets it over Gil.

3-0 with a 2.5 ERA this month is huge. Maybe if he gets crushed today but I tend to doubt 1 game will make much of a difference.

Cowser has a huge lead in WAR but I think Gil will get extra credit as a pitcher, being on the division winner and keeping the Yankees in it early while Cole was out.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

In general, which would you rather have if you were starting a team, Gil or Cowser? Is playing every day on the field more valuable than a pitcher? Is a pitcher more valuable just due to the lack of quality starting pitchers in the MLB?

Good question.  I love Cowser and expect him only to get better, but I'd still go with the starting pitcher as being more valuable over a LF.  Now if Cowser was a SS or C, I might change my mind.  

33 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

In general, which would you rather have if you were starting a team, Gil or Cowser? Is playing every day on the field more valuable than a pitcher? Is a pitcher more valuable just due to the lack of quality starting pitchers in the MLB?

To answer this question, an important variable is situational context.  Cowser has performed atrociously in high leverage situations, which fWAR does not consider.  Cowser WPA is -2.6 whereas Gil is + 2.0