Orioles vs Tigers/KC (Wild Card series)

Tony-OH

I think I would prefer seeing Detroit, and here’s why:

We have seen them recently.I know that was addressed and discarded in another comment, but bear in mind that the team that they saw is not the team that is currently taking the field, and we’ve got a good idea how to play them.

We missed Skubal and would face him…yikes.

Maybe I should reconsider….

on the other hand the Royals have Ragans who’s no slouch, and they’ve got a great bullpen….

I'd say the Royals...pitch around Witt and Salvy Perez who seems to have had our number in recent years.  The rest of their lineup isn't too imposing.

Wacha  -a guy I wanted this offseason and was laughed at for wanting him- has a 2.64 ERA over his last 15 starts.  He's the soft-tossing type that gives our lineup fits and, IIRC, he was great against us earlier this year.  Lugo has had a great year, so has Ragans.  Their starters are good.

But they're 3-7 over their last 10 while the Tigers are 8-2.  A lot of the postseason, IMO, is catching teams at the right/wrong time.  This could all change by next week but the Tigers are hot, the Royals are not...

Then again, I said I wanted to face Texas in the first round last year and look what happened.  So who knows.

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Tigers have 1,426 strikeouts as a team, in 5,321 at bats.

The Orioles have 1,323 strikeouts as a team, in 5,417 at bats.

You're right.   It seemed like they didn't strike out much in our 6 games with them.   I even went and added the K's for each team during this 6 games:  O's struck out 50 times,  Los Tigres 55 times. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

We will mock you for this thread after we win tonight, sweep the Twins, the Pirates sweep the Yankees, and we win the division.

I'll happily take the mocking... I think.

Honestly, if the team is hot, I don't want the time off since it didn't help them the last time. I'd rather have the series against the Tigers or Royals and hope they stay hot.

1 hour ago, Moshagge3 said:

We still have a lot of scars from the last time we faced the Royals. The Royals seem to be the easier draw but I'm already having nightmarish visions of Adam Frazier and Kyle Isbel hitting bloop single after bloop single.

Adam Frazier beating the Orioles with a bloop single is a horror I don't want to think about.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, O's84 said:

Tony, do you think Elias is considering McDermott?  

No inside info, just wondering if he'd rather have an extra arm that can miss bats, even if it comes with inexperience. I'd imagine they'll go with the professor and hope he rebounds.

• Thanks 1

Some of yall really want Detroit and Skubal!?

Detroit last 30 games 22-8

KC last 30 games 12-18

I’m currently listening to Royals radio while walking my daughter in stroller; they reported AJ Hinch made it clear Skubal who is scheduled to pitch Sunday will only do so, if they don’t have a playoff spot locked.

The Tigers don’t care where they play on the road; they simply want Skubal to take the mound in game 1 of the WC round.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KojiSplit said:

Some of yall really want Detroit and Skubal!?

Detroit last 30 games 22-8

KC last 30 games 12-18

I’m currently listening to Royals radio while walking my daughter in stroller; they reported AJ Hinch made it clear Skubal who is scheduled to pitch Sunday will only do so, if they don’t have a playoff spot locked.

The Tigers don’t care where they play on the road; they simply want Skubal to take the mound in game 1 of the WC round.

Do you think the Tigers want to face Burnes? 14 IP 0 ER 15K's.