This Playoff Start From Burnes Defines His Time With the O’s

sportsfan8703

On 9/28/2024 at 4:01 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Has anyone been making excuses for Burnes? 

Low pitch counts. Remember the Toronto home game versus Berrios where Burnes came out after like 83 pitches but said they were a “tough 83 pitches”?

That’s really the only excuse he’s made. He also gets McCann catching this game. That helps him the run game and his low strikes. 

I’m hopeful, with McCann over Adley, that we see Burnes unleashed this game and he goes 7.2 IP 2 ER or less. 

This isn’t a negative thread. But this is exactly why we made the trade for Burnes. Playoffs. 

But… this start does define Burnes’ tenure with us. That’s just reality. 

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

All of the October ones will.    Tomorrow good chance to be the least important one if things go any kind of good.

Granted ~40% chance it is the only one, but that is short series baseball, not him.

I won't have warm feelings if he handles these guys but is bad twice the next series.

I’m clearly in a bad mood, but I’ll pose this to the group: 2024 Burns was “not quite good enough”. 

at times he was fantastic, but you need an ace to carry you when nobody else will. I hope somebody (Frobby) will remind me of a few times he did that that would impact the results of this season for us. He certainly didn’t fail us tonight, but he didn’t carry us either, and that, to me, might be the story of 2024 Corbin Burnes. 

On 9/30/2024 at 6:49 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Low pitch counts. Remember the Toronto home game versus Berrios where Burnes came out after like 83 pitches but said they were a “tough 83 pitches”?

That’s really the only excuse he’s made. He also gets McCann catching this game. That helps him the run game and his low strikes. 

I’m hopeful, with McCann over Adley, that we see Burnes unleashed this game and he goes 7.2 IP 2 ER or less. 

This isn’t a negative thread. But this is exactly why we made the trade for Burnes. Playoffs. 

McCann is even worse at framing this season than Adley.

That's just reality.

Burnes has been an ace. He pitched like an ace tonight. We lost a 1-0 game because the bats sucked. It’s that simple. I hope that the O’s sign Burnes this offseason. And I believe that is a real possibility. It is the tough decisions on this offense that will need to be addressed 

1 hour ago, Sanfran327 said:

I’m clearly in a bad mood, but I’ll pose this to the group: 2024 Burns was “not quite good enough”. 

at times he was fantastic, but you need an ace to carry you when nobody else will. I hope somebody (Frobby) will remind me of a few times he did that that would impact the results of this season for us. He certainly didn’t fail us tonight, but he didn’t carry us either, and that, to me, might be the story of 2024 Corbin Burnes. 

I would say he carried the team and kept them at 1 run. We couldn’t score a single run? Not even one. Burnes could have gone 9 scoreless and we probably would have lost in the 10th. This offense is just done.