Who sits for Slater in Game One?

sportsfan8703

Who sits for Slater in Game 1?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who sits for Slater in Game 1

• Mullins
    • Cowser
    • Nobody

Would be upsetting to start Slater in any playoff game at this point. Even if you think Mullins/Cowser cant hit LHP (news flash Slater cant either)- keep the defense and the guys who "got you there"

• Upvote 2

What do you mean starting for Slater? He is not a starter. The Ragans matchup makes things interesting because he has reverse splits. I don't know the numbers but they need to start the guys with good numbers vs Ragans and/or LHP changeups, whether they are LH or RH.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, waroriole said:

If they start a guy with a .500 OPS against LHP just so Hyde/Sigbot can check their L/R box, they’re all a bunch of idiots. 

His OPS vs LH is 35 points higher than Mullins.   So if your argument is based on 2024 OPS, I guess you want to see Slater instead of Mullins.

Lefties hit  much better vs Ragans compared to righties.

Slater shouldn’t play. They have a lot of lefties in the pen, so maybe he pinch hits at some point but he shouldn’t start.

Of course, the question is more of will he vs should he.

Can you start a team with at least 2 of Rivera, McCann and Slater in it for game 1 of the playoffs?

• Upvote 1

Mullins has slashed .196/.228/.278/.506 against lefties this year. Slater has not had a great year overall and his September was terrible, but the Orioles really like platoon matchups. Plus, having Mullins speed and pop on the bench gives them options late in games.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

His OPS vs LH is 35 points higher than Mullins.   So if your argument is based on 2024 OPS, I guess you want to see Slater instead of Mullins.

Nope I wanna see the guy with the better defense. Just pointing out that Slater’s only “advantage” is another liability. Plus, Reagan’s is a reverse splits guy. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lefties hit  much better vs Ragans compared to righties.

Slater shouldn’t play. They have a lot of lefties in the pen, so maybe he pinch hits at some point but he shouldn’t start.

Of course, the question is more of will he vs should he.

Can you start a team with at least 2 of Rivera, McCann and Slater in it for game 1 of the playoffs?

Nice job pointing out Ragans pitches better against righties than lefties:

image.thumb.png.38244464c8b17149ea3c6cdc6e47d19d.png

The Orioles put a heavy emphasis on the pitcher's splits over the hitter's split, so Mullins could very well start. Interestingly though, lefties BABIP was a unsustainable .345. Here's his pitch% and results against lefties this year.

image.thumb.png.fe0892bf1a762ce2b01c3d4c924ec9d4.png

With this info, I think the Orioles very well may start Mullins instead of Slater.

Now, will they start O'Hearn over Rivera at DH?

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Nice job pointing out Ragans pitches better against righties than lefties:

image.thumb.png.38244464c8b17149ea3c6cdc6e47d19d.png

The Orioles put a heavy emphasis on the pitcher's splits over the hitter's split, so Mullins could very well start. Interestingly though, lefties BABIP was a unsustainable .345. Here's his pitch% and results against lefties this year.

image.thumb.png.fe0892bf1a762ce2b01c3d4c924ec9d4.png

With this info, I think the Orioles very well may start Mullins instead of Slater.

Now, will they start O'Hearn over Rivera at DH?

I think Adley is the DH tomorrow. 

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree, McCann C is decision number one.

After that, against a reverse split guy I think you just start your best overall players. However, O'Hearn has such poor splits vs LHP and so little experience I can't imagine they start him. Adley DH would allow Hyde to avoid the O'Hearn vs LHP decision. Kjerstad had hit lefties well but they gave him only 18 AB. That is a big ask of a rookie. Might be Adley if they think McCann makes Burnes better.

Definite starters: Gunnar, Westburg, Santander, Mountcastle, Urias, Cowser

Probable: Mullins

Pick two: Adley, McCann, O'Hearn, Kjerstad

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Could be, McCann is hitting the ball well right now. Saying that, I think Rivera might be the DH with Adley behind the plate. Not sure Hyde will basically bench Adley for McCann in a playoff game.

31 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Could be, McCann is hitting the ball well right now. Saying that, I think Rivera might be the DH with Adley behind the plate. Not sure Hyde will basically bench Adley for McCann in a playoff game.

McCann has caught Corbin’s last 3 outings where he’s looked close to unhittable. I don’t think they mess with that