The Royals

Baseball fandom

The Royals lost 106 games and 97 games in 2023 and 22 meanwhile those same years the Orioles have found success  but here we are the  Royals are already celebrating more playoff success then Baltimore has. It's  frustrating, pathetic and sad how bad this team has been in the playoffs. 10 straight loses is choking at its finest especially when you can make a case the Orioles were the more talented team during this stretch. Well maybe the Blue Jays were better the year they beat the Orioles. Maybe

1 hour ago, Baseball fandom said:

The Royals lost 106 games and 97 games in 2023 and 22 meanwhile those same years the Orioles have found success  but here we are the  Royals are already celebrating more playoff success then Baltimore has. It's  frustrating, pathetic and sad how bad this team has been in the playoffs. 10 straight loses is choking at its finest especially when you can make a case the Orioles were the more talented team during this stretch. Well maybe the Blue Jays were better the year they beat the Orioles. Maybe

I can no longer say the Orioles are more talented.   There is enough of a sample size out there to show who the Orioles are, and that is largely mediocre major league players with OPS within 10% od league average,  with Henderson being the exception.   They are an average team that rode a hot two months to a playoff spot and then scored 1 run in 18 innings.  

• Upvote 2

They're not good.  No sour grapes or me being a bitter Betty, the Royals aren't a good baseball team.   As disappointing as last year was at least TEX was a talented team on a heater.

I'm happy whenever the Yankees lose but I kind of want them to sweep KC, not that I really have much against the Royals, I just want our guys to truly understand what apitiful performance that was. 

20 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

They're not good.  No sour grapes or me being a bitter Betty, the Royals aren't a good baseball team.   As disappointing as last year was at least TEX was a talented team on a heater.

I'm happy whenever the Yankees lose but I kind of want them to sweep KC, not that I really have much against the Royals, I just want our guys to truly understand what apitiful performance that was. 

No, they’re good. 

I mean, they’re good enough. And what they really are, is boring.  Outside of Bobby Witt Jr., there’s nothing exciting about that team. 

They signed a bunch of boring free agents like Lugo and Wacha, guys that we sneered at because they don’t have “elite” stuff.  And all Lugo and Wacha did were turn in boringly great seasons.  

I’m sure their fans aren’t blowing each other over and over again about how great their farm system is and filling out make believe lineups on fielding 1-9 100% home grown talent. 

They rely on pitching and defense.  Shouldn’t be a foreign concept to Orioles fans that remember the good old days, but it seems like it is. 

No, the Royals are good. They’re just boring. No superstars outside of Witt, Salvy and maybe Ragans. They play in a boring city and a boring ballpark in front of boring fans.  Their farm system is boring. 

Meanwhile we’re over here saying how great we should be because of Jackson Holliday and Coby Mayo and Heston Kjerstad and Adley Rutschman and Gunnar Henderson and all this youth and talent that’s going to have us winning all the time and life is going to be so great.  Can’t be bothered to sign guys like Lugo and Wacha, those guys aren’t elite enough for our amazing window of talent!

We’re like the definition of being born on third base and thinking we’ve hit a triple. 

Edited by Moose Milligan

Respectfully disagree Moose. 

And I'll say Ragans and Lugo didn't even pitch all that well against us. We just straight missed on many hittable pitches.  Kowser probably the only guy in organized baseball that swings at that pitch. 

Just a colossal failure on our end. 

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Respectfully disagree Moose. 

And I'll say Ragans and Lugo didn't even pitch all that well against us. We just straight missed on many hittable pitches.  Kowser probably the only guy in organized baseball that swings at that pitch. 

Just a colossal failure on our end. 

Ragans and Lugo did what they did against us.  You can blame our guys for looking like the toolboxes they are, and that’s fine. But Ragans and Lugo did a good job of getting our swing happy group of dickheads to chase out of the zone, too.  They sure missed hittable pitches but they also didn’t do themselves any favors by hacking at everything, too.  How the f does Tony not know that they’re going to try to get him to chase on a fastball above the zone? How the f does Mounty STILL SWING AT LOW AND OUTSIDE SLIDERS?

Ragans and Lugo both had great seasons. Wacha did, too. Boring guys, guys that aren’t “elite” but they certainly shoved against us. You gotta give them some credit, they pitched to our weaknesses and the Orioles didn’t do anything to adjust. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No, they’re good. 

I mean, they’re good enough. And what they really are, is boring.  Outside of Bobby Witt Jr., there’s nothing exciting about that team. 

They signed a bunch of boring free agents like Lugo and Wacha, guys that we sneered at because they don’t have “elite” stuff.  And all Lugo and Wacha did were turn in boringly great seasons.  

I’m sure their fans aren’t blowing each other over and over again about how great their farm system is and filling out make believe lineups on fielding 1-9 100% home grown talent. 

They rely on pitching and defense.  Shouldn’t be a foreign concept to Orioles fans that remember the good old days, but it seems like it is. 

No, the Royals are good. They’re just boring. No superstars outside of Witt, Salvy and maybe Ragans. They play in a boring city and a boring ballpark in front of boring fans.  Their farm system is boring. 

Meanwhile we’re over here saying how great we should be because of Jackson Holliday and Coby Mayo and Heston Kjerstad and Adley Rutschman and Gunnar Henderson and all this youth and talent that’s going to have us winning all the time and life is going to be so great.  Can’t be bothered to sign guys like Lugo and Wacha, those guys aren’t elite enough for our amazing window of talent!

We’re like the definition of being born on third base and thinking we’ve hit a triple. 

The pitching wasn't the problem this post season. Went out and got an ace and he performed masterfully. I thought Eflin pitched fine as well yesterday. 

The bats have been kryptonite all year. Routine plays like sac flies seem almost impossible with this Orioles lineup.

It's actually hard not to score in a bases loaded no outs scenario and the Orioles somehow did it quite often.

2 minutes ago, PauleeWalnuts said:

The pitching wasn't the problem this post season. Went out and got an ace and he performed masterfully. I thought Eflin pitched fine as well yesterday. 

The bats have been kryptonite all year. Routine plays like sac flies seem almost impossible with this Orioles lineup.

It's actually hard not to score in a bases loaded no outs scenario and the Orioles somehow did it quite often.

I didn’t say our pitching was a problem.  It’s more of the attitude that posters here have that we can’t accept anything less than “elite” talent and that “elite” talent is what wins in October, supposedly. 

We’ve got all this “elite” talent and look where it got us. Meanwhile the Royals sign boring guys and do just fine. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I didn’t say our pitching was a problem.  It’s more of the attitude that posters here have that we can’t accept anything less than “elite” talent and that “elite” talent is what wins in October, supposedly. 

We’ve got all this “elite” talent and look where it got us. Meanwhile the Royals sign boring guys and do just fine. 

There will always be folks who use analytics, dork stats and money to defend why we should not sign or trade for players. I will enjoy watching the Tigers and their stable of elite talent in the second round against Cleveland, another team with all of that elite talent.  May the best exit velo and launch angle team win!

Take away their record against the CWS and they’re mid at best. I thought they played as poorly as they have all September, but our offense brought less than nothing on offense. They scored 3 runs in 2 games and swept the series ffs. Total choke job by us at the plate.

Sour grapes? Yep, fully aware, as it’s hard not to be salty with KC’s ownership of Bmore sports the last decade  

NY will wipe the floor with the Royals, which will bring even more frustration to yet another Oriole no-show. If I’m wrong on that, I’m wrong. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh ok. I took your statement the wrong way. I'm on your side there. Definitely need a healthy mix. People swoon over the "On paper" rosters in every league and they never seem to pan out when it matters most.

7 hours ago, Baseball fandom said:

And don’t forget they have a bonafide superstar and annual MVP candidate that is signed for the next decade plus, too. 

2 minutes ago, PauleeWalnuts said:

Oh ok. I took your statement the wrong way. I'm on your side there. Definitely need a healthy mix. People swoon over the "On paper" rosters in every league and they never seem to pan out when it matters most.

I understand why you would, it's all good.

It's like...if we didn't trade for Burnes and signed Lugo and Wacha instead, people would still be crying that we don't have an ace, even though those two put up great seasons.  Just because they don't throw 98 with insane cutters and sweepers doesn't mean they don't have value.

The Royals don't have a lot of great talent on offense/defense, yet they have guys who aren't swinging from their heels all the time and can play defense.  Their team is built on pitching and defense.  People kept saying it in the game thread last year, it was like 2014 all over again and it was because of that.

Our team is built on a lot of prospect hype and not great defense. 

• Upvote 1