Do we agree that developing Kjerstad RF, Holliday 2B and Mayo 1B/DH.......

wildcard

On 10/14/2024 at 10:19 AM, btdart20 said:

Can you share a link for this?  I missed that and would like to read the context. 

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/some-first-impressions-on-orioles-first-base-situation

“He’s probably the furthest along at first base,” Elias said, “despite most of his minor league repetitions coming at third.”

To respond to the OP, IMO winning a World Series should be the top goal for 2025. And obviously one of the things that needs to happen in order for that to be the case is that these 3 young players play much better next season.

Kjerstad seemed fine in the limited opportunities that he received. However, Santander and O'Hearn were in front of him. However, the other two (Holliday and Mayo) were absolutely wretched at the MLB level. That needs to improve drastically.

However, I the org is going to do much more than simply count on these 3 players to be better. There are real holes on the roster to fill [#1 SP, RHH bat, effective bullpen arm(s)].

13 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

To respond to the OP, IMO winning a World Series should be the top goal for 2025. And obviously one of the things that needs to happen in order for that to be the case is that these 3 young players play much better next season.

Kjerstad seemed fine in the limited opportunities that he received. However, Santander and O'Hearn were in front of him. However, the other two (Holliday and Mayo) were absolutely wretched at the MLB level. That needs to improve drastically.

However, I the org is going to do much more than simply count on these 3 players to be better. There are real holes on the roster to fill [#1 SP, RHH bat, effective bullpen arm(s)].

I agree with most of what you are saying. However, I think it would be foolish to expect all 3 to be considerably better out of the gate. As I’ve mentioned, Kjerstad is a DH/1B type and agree he’s fine. Hearing that Elias thinks Mayo is a 1B is pretty troubling as well. So you have your 1B and DH clogged up for the foreseeable future. Holiday to the outfield might make sense.

23 hours ago, eddie83 said:

So when I read scouting reports that say Holliday could play MLB SS I should ignore that? 

Vlad was one of the greatest hitting prospects ever. 

Yes, yes you should. Anyone who has watched Holliday over his career that still thinks he could be even an average big league shortstop is counting on him improving almost everything in his skill set. Sure he's young, but natural shortstops tends to stick out defensively on the field. See Joey Ortiz for example.

• Upvote 1

On 10/14/2024 at 2:58 PM, Jim'sKid26 said:

He has 2 years and $52.5 million left on his deal with the Cubs and he has the opportunity opt out again after making $27.5 million in 2025. What could he get on the open market after a good-not-great 2024 and with his track record of injuries and ineffectiveness? 4/$70 million?

I'm sure he still wants that 9 figure deal, so I think taking the $27.5 million for 2025 and hoping for a better platform year makes more sense for him, especially with the $25 million player option for 2026 there as a fallback if that doesn't come to pass.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2024 at 3:11 PM, Brooks The Great said:

He'll definitely get better as a hitter, but he's one of the worst defensive infielders I've seen in decades of watching baseball. It's an easy decision to move him to the outfield, where he'd help the team more with CF depth and be less of a defensive liability overall. 

This team is much better next season with Holliday in CF, Mullins as the 4th OF, and a free agent 2B. It's easier to find 2B in trades and free agency than it is to find a CF. 

If Jackson Merrill can move from SS to CF, so can Holliday. And Holliday helps his long-term value as a CF instead of a 2B, so Holliday will want to make the move also. 

Mullins is a better hitter and fielder. 

• Upvote 1

I would say the development of Holiday, Kjerstad, Mayo and then Basallo is the key to everything going forward. That doesn’t mean the team doesn’t  need to make some moves this offseason. They definitely do. But imo, it’s all for naught without these guys finding success in the Majors.

On 10/14/2024 at 3:11 PM, Brooks The Great said:

He'll definitely get better as a hitter, but he's one of the worst defensive infielders I've seen in decades of watching baseball. It's an easy decision to move him to the outfield, where he'd help the team more with CF depth and be less of a defensive liability overall. 

This team is much better next season with Holliday in CF, Mullins as the 4th OF, and a free agent 2B. It's easier to find 2B in trades and free agency than it is to find a CF. 

If Jackson Merrill can move from SS to CF, so can Holliday. And Holliday helps his long-term value as a CF instead of a 2B, so Holliday will want to make the move also. 

This is just over the top.  Were you an O's fan while Odor was playing 2B for the O's?

45 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

This is just over the top. 

Tis' the season for over the top, which should end around Opening Day...

Sign Bregman, move Westburg back to 2B.  Lose O'Hearn and make Kjerstad the LH platoon at 1B along with Mountcastle.  Holliday quickly transitions to CF (because if Merrill can do it, naturally so can Holliday) and Mullins is in RF along with a RHB 1-year FA stopgap while Mayo learns RF in Norfolk.  Henderson, Rutschman, Cowser no change.

If someone brings up the subject of defense, kindly look the other way.

On 10/13/2024 at 6:17 PM, Gentile4 said:

Acknowledging hindsight is always 20/20, if we move Holliday to CF, then what was the point of drafting Bradfield, whose offensive skillset doesn't translate to a corner spot.

If that’s the case , then they can trade Bradfield for other options 

Im not sure what the deal is with Holliday-to-CF truthers, but he was above average by OAA, average by UZR, and slightly below by DRS at 2B, so it feels like we should give him the opportunity to improve there rather than move him to a position he hasn't really played in his career.

7 hours ago, Hallas said:

Im not sure what the deal is with Holliday-to-CF truthers, but he was above average by OAA, average by UZR, and slightly below by DRS at 2B, so it feels like we should give him the opportunity to improve there rather than move him to a position he hasn't really played in his career.

Third-base coach Tony Mansolino, who serves as Baltimore’s infield instructor, believes Holliday could eventually win a Gold Glove at second, a position he learned on the fly last spring after mostly playing shortstop all his life.

I know a coach isn’t going to throw someone under the bus but it’s worth mentioning.