Should the Orioles keep Povich, Kremer and Rogers in the organization for 2025?

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

We open with a 4 game series in Toronto with no open dates, and the next day (game 5) is the home opener vs Boston.  So they might save someone half decent for the 5th start in the home opener.

But this discussion is so ridiculously premature... let's not even START to talk about it until that first day of pitchers and catchers reporting where they have to fess up and tell us who has been secretly hurt since November, because it would become obvious when guys aren't having throwing sessions the first couple days of camp.

Once we get that annual dose of bad news, THEN we can start thinking about the opening week rotation.

You're a bundle of good thoughts.

1 hour ago, Satyr3206 said:

You're a bundle of good thoughts.

Hey, it's happened 2 years in a row:

1st day of training camp 2023:  https://www.masnsports.com/blog/tate-to-begin-season-on-injured-list-bautista-and-hall-also-ailing

1st day of training camp 2024:  https://www.masnsports.com/blog/health-updates-on-bradish-means-henderson-and-basallo

Both times we hadn't heard anything about these injuries even though the team had known for weeks and months.

So yeah, I'll be pretty nervous for that first day of pitchers and catchers in mid February.

• Upvote 2

Yes.

Modern pitching staffs need three pitchers who qualify as #1 - #3 starters, and 4 - 6 pitchers capable of starting games in that 4 - 5 spot.  And those roles aren't strictly defined.  A guy who can pitch as a #4 for 70% of the season but a #3 for the other 30% can fulfill both roles.

While obviously every team should look for upgrades, these guys have shown they can occupy those 4 - 6 spots but also occasionally jump up in to the top tier.  Rodgers was that pitcher and given late season results he could possibly get back there.

Kremer is solidly a #3 pitcher.  He's not likely to get better at this point but there is value in that.

Povich is very much an open book.  The end of his season had some very solid starts.  With a little improvement he might give you 80% #3 or #4 starts.

On 10/16/2024 at 9:24 PM, SteveA said:

Hey, it's happened 2 years in a row:

1st day of training camp 2023:  https://www.masnsports.com/blog/tate-to-begin-season-on-injured-list-bautista-and-hall-also-ailing

1st day of training camp 2024:  https://www.masnsports.com/blog/health-updates-on-bradish-means-henderson-and-basallo

Both times we hadn't heard anything about these injuries even though the team had known for weeks and months.

So yeah, I'll be pretty nervous for that first day of pitchers and catchers in mid February.

That sure was a depressing article to go through this past February.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Povich should get the nod as the #5 SP because he’s LH and the Wall. We need to develop him to think long term so that he can be a Game 3/4 type SP, or if we ever get deep in the postseason.

Without Burnes - Grayson, Eflin, Kremer, Povich, Suarez vs Rogers

The Orioles will definitely bring a new starting pitcher to the roster. It doesn’t have to be Burnes but they do need to add a new arm.

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Orioles will definitely bring a new starting pitcher to the roster. It doesn’t have to be Burnes but they do need to add a new arm.

I know that, but then every convo will turn into that. The decision tree of Burnes and then what… is our offseason. 

I really like Povich. I think he’s going to be a good #3-#5 type SP for us during his team controlled years. Maybe he has a year where he’s a #3 and the rest #4/5. He’s growing up too. 

Barring injury, Kremer will definitely be in the rotation next year so he joins Eflin and Grod. Right now, I don't see any reason Povich won't be in the rotation. 

Now, I do think the Orioles needs Burnes or a TOR like starter to the rotation. Burnes at the top of this rotation makes this team an instant contender. 

Now they should get Bradish back in the 2nd half of the season and with the way Grod holds up, that's a great thing. Rogers has to earn a spot in spring training. If the Orioles get a TOR-like starter this offseason, then Rogers battles Povich and maybe Brandon Young for the 5th starter's job.

Here's how I see the current rotation:

1. Hoping they will resign Burnes or acquire/sign a TOR
2. Eflin
3. Grod
4. Kremer
5. Povich/Rogers/Young

Without the TOR, everyone moves up and then two of the three 5th starters will be in the rotation. 

56 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Barring injury, Kremer will definitely be in the rotation next year so he joins Eflin and Grod. Right now, I don't see any reason Povich won't be in the rotation. 

Now, I do think the Orioles needs Burnes or a TOR like starter to the rotation. Burnes at the top of this rotation makes this team an instant contender. 

Now they should get Bradish back in the 2nd half of the season and with the way Grod holds up, that's a great thing. Rogers has to earn a spot in spring training. If the Orioles get a TOR-like starter this offseason, then Rogers battles Povich and maybe Brandon Young for the 5th starter's job.

2. Eflin
3. Grod
4. Kremer
5. Povich/Rogers/Young

Without the TOR, everyone moves up and then two of the three 5th starters will be in the rotation.

A #1 would be great, for sure. However, I don't think I'm as dead-set on it as I was last year when we didn't have Eflin. The O's passed up on some mid-tier guys like Wacha and Manaea and they ended up having great seasons. I was a proponent of both last offseason, not to toot my own horn lol, but I feel like these mid-tier guys get overlooked around here. KC signed a few of them and made a nice run. Sometimes you just need decent innings. 

My ideal scenario is 2 SP signings - a big name like Fried and a back-end guy with upside like Manaea. Povich becomes first callup. And pair that with at least 1 real deal, no f***ing around-type backend reliever. I would rather take a half-measure on the SP acquisition than I would the reliever. If Elias is caught assuming Felix is 100% himself next year, he will have failed again. 

On 10/16/2024 at 9:28 PM, theobird said:

There is no doubt in my mind that all three will be in the organization. IMO, Kramer and Povich are locks for the rotation. The wildcard is Roger’s, but he has options. 

I don't see Povich as a lock for the rotation.  It will be a competition for the 5th spot, which should include Povich and Rogers.  Definitely need more pitching depth.  The I's need to add at least 2 starters, one which needs to be a #1/2 type.  Bringing back Syarez should be done if at all possible.

Goes without saying that you keep all three, but it also goes without saying that you look for upgrades. The organization values Rogers, for whatever reason, and Povich has value, but remains unproven, and it would be ridiculous to make no significant acquisitions because the plan is to give them each 30 starts.

It is beyond me why Hyde could not comment on whether Suarez would be back, because of course he should be back.

And of course I want John Means to return as well, if he will take a contract that acknowledges his issues. Someone is going to give him such a contract and I would prefer that it be the Os.

But Elias needs to trade for better arms.

And nobody should be off the table.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

2. Eflin
3. Grod
4. Kremer
5. Povich/Rogers/Young

The only problem is assuming that Rodriguez is going to be healthy for the whole season, which is unwise.

The decline in velocity really seems like a very bad omen for Rogers, and I don’t think he’s going to be anything except a failure. I would prefer Povich be 7 or 8 on the list, with Saurez ahead of him at 5-6, depending on acquisitions.