What should the Os do with Tyler Wells?

Sports Guy

I am in the camp that Wells isn’t a reliable guy and not someone we should be saving a roster spot for,  no matter the cost.

That being said, even if he’s not really available for the first half of the season, is it worth it to bring him back since he will be cheap and, most importantly, have 2 options left?

He is just more depth in a break glass in case of emergency situation and it’s not like he hasn’t been productive in the past.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I am in the camp that Wells isn’t a reliable guy and not someone we should be saving a roster spot for,  no matter the cost.

That being said, even if he’s not really available for the first half of the season, is it worth it to bring him back since he will be cheap and, most importantly, have 2 options left?

He is just more depth in a break glass in case of emergency situation and it’s not like he hasn’t been productive in the past.

He's been very effective in the bullpen.  I like him there as a potential back end guy, or someone that can come in the 6th and 7th and give you two good innings. 

1 minute ago, Since1984 said:

Sign him to a MiL deal with a mlb opt out option on August 31. This avoids any 40 man roster crunch and they can pay him more than a MiL salary.

To be clear, he is under team control for a few more years. They could non tender him and then bring him back on a MiL deal but otherwise, they would just tender him a deal.

I think this question can be punted to 2026. He will miss a large chunk of 2025, so it's an easy call to keep him as emergency depth. If his rehabs aren't going well, there will be a decision to be made at that time. But it's at least worth seeing what his stuff looks like post-op. 

I mean, he's going to be on the 60 day IL. It's pretty typical during arbitration to give a guy a similar comp to the year he was injured while they rehab. So, he's going to be around $2m. He's under control through 2027. He has options remaining. You keep him.

He's pretty damn effective as a reliever (3.49 ERA, 0.791 WHIP, 9.8 SO/9, 1.7 BB/9, 1.2 HR/9). And he's been effective as a starter, but he's got stamina issues throughout the season.

I think you keep him as a reliever and just have him focus on that role going forward. 

The options make this a non-decision. We’ve seen in these playoffs how having a few guys who can open games, pitch a couple innings in the middle of the game, or come into the hottest spot and shut things down, can be incredibly valuable. Wells seems like a perfect guy for that sort of thing and they should groom him for a role like that, rather than as a full fledged starter. 

Creativity with the pitching staff is needed. Having someone like Wells as an opener against a RH heavy top of a lineup, ahead of a Povich or Roger’s start for example, would be the type of thing I’d like to see more of. Basically the Tigers plan, but with a few more reliable starters (ie, not trying to pull that off in 4 out of 5 games). 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Everything what SP just said ^^^ . I know Wells sees himself as starting pitcher but his record showed he spent more time in trainer’s office than on the pitching mound .  I think he’s suitable for bullpen spot . If he doesn’t like it, trade him for another pitcher.