Does a Yankee get plunked tomorrow?

oriole_way

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate to say this, I mean I really hate to say this, but you have to credit Jeter for handling that in the best possible way. He's the reason it didn't escalate and ended where it should have.

So can I assume that Jeter simply dropped his bat and trotted to first, instead of doing any wincing, whining or glaring at Bedard?

I hate to say this, I mean I really hate to say this, but you have to credit Jeter for handling that in the best possible way. He's the reason it didn't escalate and ended where it should have.

Absolutely! Because as I've said in fifty other threads on here, hate him all you want, but he handles himself with class on and off the field and plays the game the right way. He knows it's part of the deal and knew Bedard wasn't trying to hurt him.

Plunking someone in the 1st with 2 outs is a more powerful statement than hitting someone in the 9th when it's 12-0. Either the way, the message has been sent and we shouldn't see anything else happen from here on out.

I agree 100%. If they'd have scored a run, so be it. I have faith in Bedard. The message was sent and both teams should be done with it.

As long as there are no warnings before the retaliation I can't see someone getting suspended. Hell, if Bedard hit Jeter in the hip I doubt anyone would be upset on the Yankee bench. They'd say, "now we're even, let's move on." I could be wrong, but you see that sort of thing regularly. It doesn't warrant a suspension.

He shoots, he scores!!!

It's called protecting your players for a reason. If we don't retaliate then Yankee pitchers think they can plunk one of our guys, anytime they're too close to the plate, or if they just feel like it... with no consequences.

Props to Bedard for doing it in a way that sent the message in no uncertain terms, yet in the least inflammatory way possible.

And yes, Jeter handled it totally professionally, as I would expect.

And rest assured for the feaux tough guys here, he could have escalated it.

It's called protecting your players for a reason. If we don't retaliate then Yankee pitchers think they can plunk one of our guys, anytime they're too close to the plate, or if they just feel like it... with no consequences.

Props to Bedard for doing it in a way that sent the message in no uncertain terms, yet in the least inflammatory way possible.

And yes, Jeter handled it totally professionally, as I would expect.

Bedard was smart to plunk Jeter because Arod probably would have fussed about it

I have no doubt that Erik is a stand-up teammate who is well-liked, and I never meant to imply otherwise. I was just unaware that this translated into him throwing at guys in such circumstances. Not saying it never happened, only that I don't know about it...

Has Bedard done this before? I dunno, just wondering...

Exactly. He picked the guy he knew would know what was happening, and just hit him in the leg. No harm, no foul, message sent.

Ok, last time I promise: Jeter plays the game the right way, with class on and off the field. He knew the deal today, and wasn't going to escalate it knowing that his guy (Villone) caused the whole thing. Good to finally see people seeing some good in Jeter...I'm not expecting miracles, but I'll take what i can get.

Ok, last time I promise: Jeter plays the game the right way, with class on and off the field. He knew the deal today, and wasn't going to escalate it knowing that his guy (Villone) caused the whole thing. Good to finally see people seeing some good in Jeter...I'm not expecting miracles, but I'll take what i can get.

Well, I still think he's an overrated, overpaid, below-average defensive slap hitter. I also think his class is overestimated. His ego was instrumental in moving A-Rod over to third despite the fact that Jeter was clearly inferior defensively, even if A-Rod himself offered to move. That was bad for the Yankees.

But, like I said, I give him credit for how he handled himself today.

Well, I still think he's an overrated, overpaid, below-average defensive slap hitter. I also think his class is overestimated. His ego was instrumental in moving A-Rod over to third despite the fact that Jeter was clearly inferior defensively, even if A-Rod himself offered to move. That was bad for the Yankees.

But, like I said, I give him credit for how he handled himself today.

Nah, that's not right. He's a so-so SS, but he's the world's best #2 hitter and has great baseball instincts. His spot in the HOF will be deserved. I agree with you 100% about the ARod thing though.

Archived