Who would you draft if the BPA was a push?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you draft if the BPA was a push?

When the O's draft, let's say that the BPA (aka: best player available) is a push between a hitter and a pitcher. Who would you draft?

If two players rate out the same when you consider talent, skill level, projection, risk of injury, cost, etc . . . then you select for need.

We need:

infield skill positions>plus plus homerun potential>starting pitching>corner positions>HS catcher

Not to be difficult, but I honestly can't answer. It depends on at what point in the draft we are, what we've selected so far and who's left on the board.

Yeah, it is a pretty hard question to answer.

Kind of like asking if you want to have a closet full of shorts or parkas without telling me what the climate is.

I can't answer either. Too many variables. Is the pitcher a power pitcher? Are his mechanics clean? Does he have good secondary pitches?

Is the hitter a contact, power, or speed guy? How is the track record? What kind of competition have they faced?

It's really got to be done on a case-by-case evaluation. If you are talking about pick 5, you could say that the only possible situations where the BPA is a batter is if Ackley drops, if Green really tears up the rest of the season, or maybe an outside shot with Davidson. Even then, you are comparing them to a group of pitchers that could include Matzek, Gibson, Purke, Leake, Crow...etc. Lots of varying pros and cons there, so it depends on who you have.

To me it depends, it is kind of hard to compare apples to oranges and determine they are equally talented. I personally would find a way to see an advantage in one of the picks. So, without being able to see the pitcher and the hitter, I would be unable to answer myself. Usually I do lean toward the pitcher though.

Archived