What is Law's guess?

I don't know, I mean if he had some kind of reasoning or backing I might be more willing to accept it, but it sounds like either he was just set on PIT taking a position player (which teams do not draft like that) or he figured he'd throw a huge surprise pick in there, and if he's wrong he can just say "oh, I'm so shocked this guy slipped".

I know Law's mock in 2007 had Wieters at like #18 and he had us taking Aumont and last year he was all over the place. I think he has a good chunk of contacts that when you get within a day or two of the draft he can nail down good info, but I don't think he can project himself at all. Looking at his mock, I see guys in the first that I had going much later. He doesn't even have Austin Maddox going in the first but has Wil Myers going #12?

I agree that he seems generally off with many of his takes. Law does have a lot of contacts and info, but he doesn't seem great at organizing that info. That's my view on him. Borchering at #4 is way off in my/our view.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know, I mean if he had some kind of reasoning or backing I might be more willing to accept it, but it sounds like either he was just set on PIT taking a position player (which teams do not draft like that) or he figured he'd throw a huge surprise pick in there, and if he's wrong he can just say "oh, I'm so shocked this guy slipped".

His reasoning is that PIT is going to sign Dominican prospect Miguel Angel Sano and will select Borchering to save money.

His reasoning is that PIT is going to sign Dominican prospect Miguel Angel Sano and will select Borchering to save money.

That is not a valid reason, or even close from their point of view. They have shown willingness to spend money lately, and if they take Borchering he is going to want whatever money is due the 4th overall pick, even if he doesn't want over slot, the difference between slot and over slot is not enough to take a mid-late round guy 4th overall, especially when he won't be able to stick at 3rd and the bat might not play as well at 1B.

That is not a valid reason, or even close from their point of view. They have shown willingness to spend money lately, and if they take Borchering he is going to want whatever money is due the 4th overall pick, even if he doesn't want over slot, the difference between slot and over slot is not enough to take a mid-late round guy 4th overall, especially when he won't be able to stick at 3rd and the bat might not play as well at 1B.

Maybe he is the only one who agreed to a deal.

This far out? I don't buy it.

I don't know if you have insider privileges, but Law explains his reasoning a little bit more beyond what I wrote. Basically, he thinks the Pirates will agree to a pre-draft deal with a high school player based on what he is hearing to save money for Sano. He says the other usual suspects are options, but since he has Crow going third and they can't take Scheppers, he guessed they would take a high school kid.

I don't know if you have insider privileges, but Law explains his reasoning a little bit more beyond what I wrote. Basically, he thinks the Pirates will agree to a pre-draft deal with a high school player based on what he is hearing to save money for Sano. He says the other usual suspects are options, but since he has Crow going third and they can't take Scheppers, he guessed they would take a high school kid.

The could take Scheppers. Nothing precludes them from that. Did their talks break down that much last year?

Maybe Scheppers's medical report is completely reassuring. Otherwise he would have to drop far enough that a team could see him as significantly better than anybody else left on the board.

How far does he drop before that happens? Once Strasburg is gone, how many others compare--apart from the medical question?

I have to hit you back with some rep later. I'm all out for the time being. :D

Thanks Richmond! I'd prefer Green or Matzek, but Scheppers is alright by me. :clap3:

Green and Matzek are my #1 and #2 as well (assuming Strasburg and Ackley are gone). I I were making the pick I would take Green in a heartbeat if I could, but I get the feeling that he is going to slip in the draft. I think that Tate will be the wildcard in the draft this year. I have a feeling that he may go #3, but that is just a hunch. There seems to always be a HS kid jump up into the top 5 as the draft nears.

Maybe Scheppers's medical report is completely reassuring. Otherwise he would have to drop far enough that a team could see him as significantly better than anybody else left on the board.

How far does he drop before that happens? Once Strasburg is gone, how many others compare--apart from the medical question?

Matzek, Crow, White, Gibson, Miller, Purke, Wheeler...and those are just the pitchers that are viewed at or about the same level as Scheppers.

I am beginning to think that Scheppers may be gone before we have a chance to pick. IMO Pirates are gonna take him.... What I dont understand is how that some web sites and "experts" are saying that Scheppers injury was definately a stress fracture, no question. The other publications are saying that it was and still is not known.....

Archived