Who are we looking at to take with our 1st round pick?

I have to disagree with the comment that a lot of the top pitchers (outside Strasburg) are much better talents than Green. The Orioles may go Crow or Matzek or another pitcher, and it would be a very good arm and excellent talent, no doubt, but I think I rank Green more highly than you do. ;)

I think he is likely to become an average ML SS but I think Matzek, S. Miller, Wheeler, Crow and Scheppers will be above average to all-star pitchers. I think it's putting too much of a premium on him because of position, and I just can't walk away from all that pitching talent. If we were picking 8th-10th I'd say Green all the way, but there is a lot of talent in those arms.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he is likely to become an average ML SS but I think Matzek, S. Miller, Wheeler, Crow and Scheppers will be above average to all-star pitchers. I think it's putting too much of a premium on him because of position, and I just can't walk away from all that pitching talent. If we were picking 8th-10th I'd say Green all the way, but there is a lot of talent in those arms.

I'll happily watch the O's take a Crow, Matzek, etc... :)

The good thing about having the #5 pick is there are at least 5 guys that we can get that would make me happy. If we get one of Strasburg, Ackely, Crow, Green or Matzek I will be happy. If we grab someone else insteadof those 5, I trust Joe Jordan and the scouting department enough to know there must have been a reason for passing. Either way...we get another good player in our system.

I'll happily watch the O's take a Crow, Matzek, etc... :)

I soured on Crow after his contract negotiations went awry with the Nats; however, I have to admit, there's something that intrigues me about having the best LHP AND RHP from the 2008 Draft in our system. :clap3:

I soured on Crow after his contract negotiations went awry with the Nats; however, I have to admit, there's something that intrigues me about having the best LHP AND RHP from the 2008 Draft in our system. :clap3:

Yeah, I mean he's talented, but I generally prefer the polish guys with good secondary pitches, and plus stuff. Matzek fits the mold totally, with C. Jenkins being another.

I'm starting to get the feeling Sheppers might actually move up from the Pirates' pick. If we're still looking at taking the best P available, it might be hard to turn away from Ackley or Green.

I am no Guru. This is based solely on my gut, superstition, and tea leaves.

Yeah, I mean he's talented, but I generally prefer the polish guys with good secondary pitches, and plus stuff. Matzek fits the mold totally, with C. Jenkins being another.

As someone who's a bit of a stats dummy (sad, but true), what is the upside with Crow? Does he throw the ball really hard? Does he have pinpoint control? Both? Or are there other reasons why a number of draft "experts" expect him to be drafted so high?

As someone who's a bit of a stats dummy (sad, but true), what is the upside with Crow? Does he throw the ball really hard? Does he have pinpoint control? Both? Or are there other reasons why a number of draft "experts" expect him to be drafted so high?

He throws hard, has pretty good control and has a great slider, but he's got a wrist cupping problem in his delivery that worries some people, and that whole scenario last year raised the question of how did that happen?

Archived