Marc Krauss - OF/1B - Ohio

Marc Krauss is a junior OF/1B at Ohio University who seems to be flying under the radar but I would love to see the O's draft this kid. He's 6'3, 225, bats left, and is currently hitting .402-27-70 with 46 BB & 29 SO. He played in the Cape Cod League last summer and led the league in RBI & OBP. To me, that says a lot about his ability to perform that well in a league that typically is dominated by pitching. He was an All-State football & baseball player in high school so the kid is definitely an athlete, and we know that Joe Jordan likes athletic baseball players, which Krauss seems to be.

I'm guessing Krauss goes no later than the 2nd round, at worst the 3rd round, and he's got a shot to be a late 1st or sandwich round pick with the year he's having and his performance on the Cape last summer. I know the O's major league lineup is really coming together now with Reimold cementing himself and Wieters on the way, but it would be nice to add another bat to the system with Krauss' power and all-around hitting ability, not to mention his ability to play both 1B & OF. It appears that Brandon Snyder is our long-term 1B, but adding Krauss would at the very least give us some depth and possibly allow Snyder to make the transition to 3B. If anyone has anything to add on Krauss, please do, but I thought I'd bring attention to this guy who not many people seem to be talking about.

Marc Krauss is a junior OF/1B at Ohio University who seems to be flying under the radar but I would love to see the O's draft this kid. He's 6'3, 225, bats left, and is currently hitting .402-27-70 with 46 BB & 29 SO. He played in the Cape Cod League last summer and led the league in RBI & OBP. To me, that says a lot about his ability to perform that well in a league that typically is dominated by pitching. He was an All-State football & baseball player in high school so the kid is definitely an athlete, and we know that Joe Jordan likes athletic baseball players, which Krauss seems to be.

I'm guessing Krauss goes no later than the 2nd round, at worst the 3rd round, and he's got a shot to be a late 1st or sandwich round pick with the year he's having and his performance on the Cape last summer. I know the O's major league lineup is really coming together now with Reimold cementing himself and Wieters on the way, but it would be nice to add another bat to the system with Krauss' power and all-around hitting ability, not to mention his ability to play both 1B & OF. It appears that Brandon Snyder is our long-term 1B, but adding Krauss would at the very least give us some depth and possibly allow Snyder to make the transition to 3B. If anyone has anything to add on Krauss, please do, but I thought I'd bring attention to this guy who not many people seem to be talking about.

If he is going to be 1S or 2nd round pick . . . he is not exactly flying under the radar. He is pretty well known.

Total stud. Of course I am a bit biased being an Ohio grad myself, but check out these numbers

avg-402, gp-gs-53-53, ab-209, r-73, h-84, 2b-13, hr-27, rbi-70, tb-178, slg%-.852, bb-46, so-29, ob%-.521, ops%-1.373

http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2008-2009/teamcume.html

DURHAM, N.C. - Ohio junior Marc Krauss has been named a semifinalist for the 2009 Golden Spikes Award, presented annually by USA baseball to the top amateur baseball player in the nation. One of 30 semifinalists, Krauss is the lone player on the list from the Mid-American Conference and one of just 11 players from non-BCS conferences.

http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/052709aaa.html

And don't forget, Ohio produced Mike Schmidt ;)

TUCSON, Ariz. - Ohio junior Marc Krauss kept the accolades coming Thursday, as he was named to the 2009 Louisville Slugger All-America First Team by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper, marking the first Bobcat first-teamer since Scott Kuvinka in 1979. Krauss was the lone Mid-American Conference player on any of the three All-America teams and one of just eight players from a non-BCS conference on the 17-man first team. Anthony Gressick was Ohio's last All-American, as he claimed third-team honors in 2006.

http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/052809aab.html

Looks like a first rounder if BA's Manual is right - here's the chat Q&A today on Krauss:

Aaron (Wyoming): What teams do you think would be interested in marc Krauss, and what round do you think he'll end up going?

John Manuel: Marc Krauss has helium. He's going to go a lot higher than we have him on our board because the power has come on and he can hit. He hit in the Great Lakes League in 2007, when he was the No. 7 prospect, and in the Cape, when he ranked 27th. He's going to go around 27 this year, actually, because he's a college bat with track record.

]

Link: http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1243529223

Archived