BA's 2009 Mock Draft (v2.0)

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/draft/mock-draft/2009/268203.html

First 10 (With BA's v1.0 pick in parenthesis) :

01) Nationals - Strasburg

02) Mariners - Dustin Ackley

03) Padres - Mike Minor (Grant Green)

04) Pirates - Aaron Crow (Kyle Gibson))

05) Orioles - Kyle Gibson (Alex White)

06) Giants - Tyler Matzek (Donovan Tate)

07) Braves - Zack Wheeler

08) Red - Tanner Scheppers (Aaron Crow)

09) Tiger - Jacob Turner

10) Nationals - Chad Jenkins

They have Alex White going 11th to the Rockies, Grant Green going 12th to the Royals, and Donovan Tate going 13th to the Athletics.

Interesting how Mike Minor has shot up to #3 while White, Green, and Tate have fallen out of the Top 10.

If Crow were off the board, and at this time I think he'll go #4, I guess I wouldn't be too upset with Gibson. Not a sexy pick, but he's solid, and depending on when he signs, I would think that he'd be ready to help us out by late 2010/early 2011.

That's the 2nd time (Mayo from MLB.com) we've seen Minor going 3rd. Perhaps word is starting to get out about teams' preferences.

No, people are just piggybacking other people's stretch picks thinking that they really know something. The talent difference between Minor and some of the other guys is pretty big, and there are other guys that would sign right away for slot.

Gibson or White would be poor picks IMO.

Especially White, glad to see they finally realized he's not top 10.

I have Gibson going to the Pirates anyway. I think we'll still take Matzek if SD doesn't take him first.

I have Gibson going to the Pirates anyway. I think we'll still take Matzek if SD doesn't take him first.

I wouldn't hate on a Gibson pick, but I'd much rather have a couple other guys. I think Gibson will put up amazing numbers with an NL team. Jenkins could do better than any pitcher not named Strasburg, but I feel like he's way too much of a reach at 5.

Really doubt White lands in the top 10. He gave up another 5 runs (4 walks) in 4 2/3 today against Coastal Carolina.

I think Gibson would be a solid pick, he seems like a pretty safe pick and it wouldn't hurt to add another elite SP prospect to the system.

The problem is that Gibson may not be elite.....This is why I have such a hard time with us picking him. Personally, it may sound crazy but Id rather have Leake than Gibson if we were gonna go the safe route.........3 plus pitches with plus command and an average to above average fastball depending on the day, sounds a lot like Matusz eh?

The problem is that Gibson may not be elite.....This is why I have such a hard time with us picking him. Personally, it may sound crazy but Id rather have Leake than Gibson if we were gonna go the safe route.........3 plus pitches with plus command and an average to above average fastball depending on the day, sounds a lot like Matusz eh?

Where do you get 3 plus pitches for Leake? I don't have him having any plus pitches. He's close to plus with his change, but it's not really there either. His control is amazing, but his curve is average, his slider is above average but not plus and his fastball sits around 91-92.

Gibson would be an elite SP prospect, I think he would rank close to or better than Arrieta.

Now, he may not be an elite ML SP, but he will be an elite prospect.

Gibson would be an elite SP prospect, I think he would rank close to or better than Arrieta.

Now, he may not be an elite ML SP, but he will be an elite prospect.

Sorry, but Gibby is safe, not elite. He wouldn't be in the top half of our top 10 prospects.

Sorry, but Gibby is safe, not elite. He wouldn't be in the top half of our top 10 prospects.

I guess we just have a different opinion on the term elite.

I think he would be our 4th best SP prospect, and I might even rank him ahead of Arrieta, but that may just be because I'm not as sold on Arrieta as everyone else...

He's not the guy I would pick, but he would be a solid pick, IMO.

Archived