1st Round Pick - Matt Hobgood - RHP - HS

I've officially talked myself into Hobgood. He seems like a great kid with good velocity and movement on the fastball and the best curveball in HS. I'll take it.

Despite hitting 21 home runs, Hobgood said the Orioles have told him he was selected to become a pitcher. He has a 95-mph fastball and, all season, people didn't know whether he'd be a pitcher or a hitter at the professional level.

"Somebody has figured it out," he said. "I'll sneak in some batting practice."

As for how long it will take him to sign, Hobgood said, "It shouldn't take long. I'm ready to sign."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/06/a-day-to-remember-for-matt-hobgood.html

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't really follow the amateurs that much, so I really know absolutely nothing about Hobgood. What I will say is I will at least give him a chance before passing judgment on him when he hasn't even pitched a single inning of professional baseball yet. Good luck to you Matt and welcome to the O's organization.
Everybody wants him to do well, and nobody is passing judgement on him.

People are saying that he's a reach, which he undoubtedly is. He was drafted well ahead of what the consensus said he would go. Just because the Orioles rated him higher, doesn't mean he isn't a reach. It means they see something that most other teams didn't in him. That could end up being a great thing, and I trust Jordan enough to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

But people saying this pick is a reach aren't being overly negative or bashing either Jordan or Hobgood. They are saying the truth, because this pick is a reach, by definition. The silver lining is that there weren't any clearly obvious choices to make in terms of talent, the guys after Strasburg all tend to blend together, there aren't as many clearly defined tiers like there are most years. And, Jordan I think pretty clearly really likes this kid, which goes a long way towards calming our reactions. But he did draft him substantially higher than he would have gone if we hadn't drafted him. Its not the NFL so its not like we should've traded down, but it is fair to say he was a reach at #5 without slamming the team or player.

I've officially talked myself into Hobgood. He seems like a great kid with good velocity and movement on the fastball and the best curveball in HS. I'll take it.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/06/a-day-to-remember-for-matt-hobgood.html

That article indicates to me that Hobgood was, most likely, 3rd on the Orioles' draft board.

Everybody wants him to do well, and nobody is passing judgement on him.

People are saying that he's a reach, which he undoubtedly is. He was drafted well ahead of what the consensus said he would go. Just because the Orioles rated him higher, doesn't mean he isn't a reach. It means they see something that most other teams didn't in him. That could end up being a great thing, and I trust Jordan enough to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

But people saying this pick is a reach aren't being overly negative or bashing either Jordan or Hobgood. They are saying the truth, because this pick is a reach, by definition. The silver lining is that there weren't any clearly obvious choices to make in terms of talent, the guys after Strasburg all tend to blend together, there aren't as many clearly defined tiers like there are most years. And, Jordan I think pretty clearly really likes this kid, which goes a long way towards calming our reactions. But he did draft him substantially higher than he would have gone if we hadn't drafted him. Its not the NFL so its not like we should've traded down, but it is fair to say he was a reach at #5 without slamming the team or player.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't bashing anyone for saying it was a reach. For everything I've read, it does seem like it might have been a reach b/c of how much this kid jumped up on draft day. I hope what I said didn't come off as bashing anyone or being condescending.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't bashing anyone for saying it was a reach. For everything I've read, it does seem like it might have been a reach b/c of how much this kid jumped up on draft day. I hope what I said didn't come off as bashing anyone or being condescending.
Your post didn't come off that way, it was just the 4th or 5th post saying things about writing this guy off or judging him before he gets here and I wanted to respond.

Archived