1st Round Pick - Matt Hobgood - RHP - HS

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's be honest, if money were an issue, would it behoove Jordan to say so publicly? It would reflect poorly on him and the organization.

Having said that, I fully trust your assessment of Jordan, and that makes me believe him, despite honest skepticism.

True, but there are ways to say this. Jordan was opposite the other way.

If this was a budget pick, he could have said, "This is a hard working guy, who we can get in camp quickly, and should be an asset to the team."

Again, we took this guy over Wheeler who ended up going one pick behind us at #6 and by all acounts signability wasn't an issue with him either. I absolutely believe Jordan when he says he likes this kid and signability wasn't an issue or at least not a huge issue. Now maybe Jordan will be wrong here but the biggest concern I had initially was we were being really cheap and AM or PA were putting restrictions on JJ but I really don't think that is the case.

I dont understand why Tony just came on here saying that the guy touches 98 MPH but on the OH homepage it says that he tops out at 92 MPH. Ive read numerous reports saying he throws mid-upper 90's....Im guessing its not Tony.....

Where do you see 92 MPH top out on our front page?

By the way, we have several editors so obviously whoever put that out there got the information from another source. My information is a few hours old. Things move fast.

What I know is that Jordan really, really likes this kid as well as his team of scouts. I was told Matzek was not considered the 1st or even 2nd best high school pitcher by the Orioles so no, he was not rated higher than Hobgood.

I'll talk to Joe over the next few days and he's never lied or misled me before so when I do a wrapup of the top ten you'll get my official thoughts.

This should settle the masses a bit.

There are going to be preferences & opinions, folks. Let's just get this kid some professional innings this summer and see what we're workin' with!!!

Good. I also just got this nugget about him, "He is not a reach, a stretch or a pre-draft deal. He's the real thing."

Makeup off the charts and velocity really came on throughout the spring.

The O's put a lot of emphasis on makeup -- as they should, in my opinion. I'm reading a bunch of posts comparing Hobgood to Ponson, and I ask: wouldn't a pitcher with the talent and repetoire of Ponson, but off-the-charts makeup, be a pretty damned good pitcher?

Im not saying that money was a total factor, but dont ya think if Matzek and Hobgood would have signed for the same price, he would have drafted Matzek. Id be willing to be he would have.

Plus, do you really think Jordan would come out and say in public, "Instead of picking the best player available, we decided to go with the cheaper option"?

Not that there is anything wrong with saving to go over later. I'll be willing to bet that if Crow or Scheppers slide to the 2nd the O's take them.

Again, we took this guy over Wheeler who ended up going one pick behind us at #6 and by all acounts signability wasn't an issue with him either. I absolutely believe Jordan when he says he likes this kid and signability wasn't an issue. Now maybe Jordan will be wrong here but the biggest concern I had initially was we were being really cheap and AM or PA were putting restrictions on JJ but I really don't believe that is the case.

This is a great point. Obviously the Orioles had Hobgood rated as their number one high school arm because Wheeler went after Hobgood and he was considered an "easy" sign.

Where do you see 92 MPH top out on our front page?

By the way, we have several editors so obviously whoever put that out there got the information from another source. My information is a few hours old. Things move fast.

Its on the side...the rotoworld stuff....Not what you or anyone on the Hangout is saying.

Archived