Very solid day 1

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I wasn't happy about the Hobgood pick, but after reading more about him, it's going to be one of those "trust Jordan" picks.

Givens is interesting and still might be a little bit of a reach, but as long as he's a SS and not a pitcher I can live with that.

And finally the last pick was the best of all IMO for the value. Townsend is a first team All-American on the same team as Ackley and actually beat out Poythress (who was taken in Round 2) for the spot. I think he was a steal with that third rounder and has the potential of being a Todd Helton type of player for us.

Now if we can grab Stassi or Bailey with the fourth rounder before the Mariners do (as they seem to be beating us to the good picks) this has the makings of another good Jordan draft.

Givens is not a reach.....at one time he was slated to me a mid 1st rounder.....He has a monster arm and is a slick fielder....So the way it sounds is that we are going to be using him as a SS? From what I remember about him is that he was equally a good prospect between on the mound and at short.....

I agree. I think the supplemental and early 2nd put Jordan on his head with Davidson, Poythress, and Scheppers all getting taken when it looked like we had a shot.

Me personally I would have gone Mendonca at 2, but I could live with Townsend at 3, maybe they heard rumblings of someone taking him later in the 3rd, it's one of those you could take him but he MIGHT get back to you picks, so I can see that one. I would definitely have taken Mendonca over Givens and then taken a shot at Marerro in the 4th. I mean, you never know, if as many teams were looking at Givens as a pitcher as I think, there's a good shot he slides to the 3rd and then you hope for Townsend in the 4th.

Is this as frustrating for you as it is for me sometimes? I found myself SCREAMING at the radio during some of the picks.

I wasn't on a lot of the O's picks, so I need to read-up on them (I think I was reasonably familiar with six of the top ten). Considering the money saved with Hobgood, I would have liked to see maybe one "big money" reach early. It could come later, but I think there was some potentially special "signability" talent in the top 10 rounds.

I don't think Marrero would be a good selection. Though I haven't read anything specific, he has the option to go start at SS as a freshman on a young and talented ASU team that is one of the "sexiest" programs in college ball right now. He'll have fun, get a chance to win some national championships, and potentially rack up good numbers. I don't think he's signable.

I'll say right now I think he's a 1st round pick in three years and potentially top 10.

I wasn't on a lot of the O's picks, so I need to read-up on them (I think I was reasonably familiar with six of the top ten). Considering the money saved with Hobgood, I would have liked to see maybe one "big money" reach early. It could come later, but I think there was some potentially special "signability" talent in the top 10 rounds.

I don't think Marrero would be a good selection. Though I haven't read anything specific, he has the option to go start at SS as a freshman on a young and talented ASU team that is one of the "sexiest" programs in college ball right now. He'll have fun, get a chance to win some national championships, and potentially rack up good numbers. I don't think he's signable.

I'll say right now I think he's a 1st round pick in three years and potentially top 10.

Yeah I was thinking they'd get one or two of the "big money guys" somewhere in the 2-5 range. Taking a shot at Malm wouldn't be horrible for $1 mil if they saved probably twice that between Hobgood and Wheeler.

Yeah I was thinking they'd get one or two of the "big money guys" somewhere in the 2-5 range. Taking a shot at Malm wouldn't be horrible for $1 mil if they saved probably twice that between Hobgood and Wheeler.

See, this is part of my issue. Too many of the "tough signs" went too early (Top 10 rounds). Too me, that means these kids are very signable, but they want money. I'm starting to believe Hobgood was 100% the talent Jordan wanted, because if it was a money thing (with the intent to spend later) BAL passed on too many talents.

See, this is part of my issue. Too many of the "tough signs" went too early (Top 10 rounds). Too me, that means these kids are very signable, but they want money. I'm starting to believe Hobgood was 100% the talent Jordan wanted, because if it was a money thing (with the intent to spend later) BAL passed on too many talents.

That or they just weren't taking any big money guys no matter what. I'm really hoping it's your take and not mine though.

When OAK is taking 2 of the top going-to-take-a-ton-to-sign guys that should tell you something though.

That or they just weren't taking any big money guys no matter what. I'm really hoping it's your take and not mine though.

When OAK is taking 2 of the top going-to-take-a-ton-to-sign guys that should tell you something though.

Exactly. If OAK is able to sign Green, Krol and Stassi then someone will need to explain to me why BAL could not have signed Hobgood and Stassi, Krol, etc. If it's just a matter of Jordan had these other guys higher on the board than Stassi or Krol, so be it. He's the one held accountable so I absolutely want him getting his guys.

Why do people keep posting and complaining about this when EVERYONE knows only four other teams have spent more money in the draft than us in the past three years?

Why do people keep posting and complaining about this when EVERYONE knows only four other teams have spent more money in the draft than us in the past three years?

That's not really fair. I don't think it's crazy to ask the question, is it? Allstar didn't seem like he was going nuts -- just pointing out that the numbers some of the more nationally touted kids were throwing around may not have been that crazy if OAK was scooping them up.

I don't see any problem with wondering out loud whether these picks look like they will utilize a full draft budget.

I don't see your point. What does OAK who is known to be frugal in the spending department taking two of the supposed high-dollar players have to do with us spending more than other teams. Point was, maybe they aren't asking for as much as people would lead you to believe, and if money isn't an issue, then is it talent?

Archived