Our Picks, Rounds 1-10

For those that didn't check in, here is what Jon (Crawdad) and I selected in Rounds 1-10 for our Shadow Draft/Shadow Minor League System:

1:5 -- Zack Wheeler, RHP, E. Paulding HS (GA)

2:5 -- Todd Glaesmann, OF, Midway HS (TX)

3:5 -- Chris Dominguez, 3B/1B, Louisville

4:5 -- Dustin Dickerson, 1B, Baylor Univ.

5:5 -- Ian Krol, LHP, Neuqua HS (IL)

6:5 -- Madison Younginer, RHP, Mauldin HS (SC)

7:5 -- Brody Colvin, RHP, St. Thom. More HS (LA)

8:5 -- Kendal Volz, RHP, Baylor Univ.

9:5 -- Ryan Berry, RHP, Rice Univ.

10:5 -- Sam Dyson, RHP, Univ. of S. Carolina

My big blunder was not drafting one of Stassi/Bailey. There would be a little more balance had we grabbed that last skill position player. Jon and I decided to go with Stassi and I called an audible, thinking he'd be there at 5:5. Sigh...

Ultimately, we were very pleased with the talent available in Rounds 5-10. All of these players were in our Top 150. We went with Wheeler in round 1 rather than Matzek with the idea that players would drop and we would go after several top 3 round talents. We think Krol, Younginer, Dyson and potentially Colvin were Top 100 guys, with Volz falling in the 101-150 range.

I've seen all these guys play with the exception of Glaesmann (Jon turned me on to him, I studied-up, and we agreed to target him in Round 2). We really stuck to "Best Player Available", probably selecting too many RHP -- but we wanted prep to help with the low-minors, and the college guys could also be very good out of the pen(most with good power stuff).

Anyway, there it is!

For those that didn't check in, here is what Jon (Crawdad) and I selected in Rounds 1-10 for our Shadow Draft/Shadow Minor League System:

1:5 -- Zack Wheeler, RHP, E. Paulding HS (GA)

2:5 -- Todd Glaesmann, OF, Midway HS (TX)

3:5 -- Chris Dominguez, 3B/1B, Louisville

4:5 -- Dustin Dickerson, 1B, Baylor Univ.

5:5 -- Ian Krol, LHP, Neuqua HS (IL)

6:5 -- Madison Younginer, RHP, Mauldin HS (SC)

7:5 -- Brody Colvin, RHP, St. Thom. More HS (LA)

8:5 -- Kendal Volz, RHP, Baylor Univ.

9:5 -- Ryan Berry, RHP, Rice Univ.

10:5 -- Sam Dyson, RHP, Univ. of S. Carolina

My big blunder was not drafting one of Stassi/Bailey. There would be a little more balance had we grabbed that last skill position player. Jon and I decided to go with Stassi and I called an audible, thinking he'd be there at 5:5. Sigh...

Ultimately, we were very pleased with the talent available in Rounds 5-10. All of these players were in our Top 150. We went with Wheeler in round 1 rather than Matzek with the idea that players would drop and we would go after several top 3 round talents. We think Krol, Younginer, Dyson and potentially Colvin were Top 100 guys, with Volz falling in the 101-150 range.

I've seen all these guys play with the exception of Glaesmann (Jon turned me on to him, I studied-up, and we agreed to target him in Round 2). We really stuck to "Best Player Available", probably selecting too many RHP -- but we wanted prep to help with the low-minors, and the college guys could also be very good out of the pen(most with good power stuff).

Anyway, there it is!

Interesting read. It would be interesting to compare how much it takes to sign your 10 vs the O's 10 since cost likely factors into it in reality. Perhaps something to add down the road.

Interesting read. It would be interesting to compare how much it takes to sign your 10 vs the O's 10 since cost likely factors into it in reality. Perhaps something to add down the road.

Oh, we kept cost in mind. I set a loose budget of $9 - $11 million. A little high for this market, but Jon and I also thought this draft provided a great opportunity to grab more talent than would normally be available.

None of our picks were too far off from where they actually went, so the valuations were pretty solid. I don't expect we'll sign all of them, but if we get eight of them that will be pretty huge.

Archived