Breaking News: Snyder to Norfolk

BowieMike

It's interesting that the O's have been so much more aggressive with their promotions this year compared to last year. You get a real sense that they are teeing things up to make a real push in 2010. There's no question now that Tillman, Hernandez, Arrieta, Patton and Snyder are all in the picture to make the club next spring or maybe a few weeks later for contract purposes. And can Matusz be far behind?

I'm enjoying watching Bergesen, Berken, Wieters and Reimold, but next year stacks up to be even more exciting. I can hardly wait!

Pretty much common sense...There was nothing for these guys to prove anymore.

The Orioles took more time with Wieters last year, in part because he is a Boras client IMO....Perhaps the same with Arrieta but he did have an injury in May and went to the Olympics....He would have been in AA last year had it not been for those 2 things.

Once you aren't challenged anymore, it is time to go.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty much common sense...There was nothing for these guys to prove anymore.

The Orioles took more time with Wieters last year, in part because he is a Boras client IMO....Perhaps the same with Arrieta but he did have an injury in May and went to the Olympics....He would have been in AA last year had it not been for those 2 things.

Once you aren't challenged anymore, it is time to go.

Put it this way, there was a ton of clamoring for Wieters to be promoted much sooner, and for Arrieta and Reimold to be moved along. I even was hearing it about Snyder in July and August. I heard that "nothing left to prove" line a ton last year, but the O's really took it slow.

As I posted the other day, I think there's more to it than whether the player is "challenged." The O's thought Arrieta relied on his fastball too much. This year, they thought Matusz relied on his too little. They wait until a guy makes progress on the things they want to see. But this year, they seem more intent on challenging guys.

Personally, I'm very happy with the way things have gone in player development the last 2 years. The success to failure ratio has been very high. This is is starting to look like the organization I once knew.

Yes and no.

On one hand, one has nothing to do with the other.

OTOH, this gives Snyder a chance at the highest MiL level and if Huff is dealt in 4-6 weeks and Snyder is doing very well in AAA, MAYBE they decide to move him up.

Huff was the first thing I thought of when I saw that Snyder was promoted. It made me think that Huff is likely going somewhere and they want to get Snyder moved up to see if he can move up her around August 1.

It seemed like a couple of days ago we read that Stockstill said he "had things to work on". He must have done a lot of work in the last few days! ;)

Huff was the first thing I thought of when I saw that Snyder was promoted. It made me think that Huff is likely going somewhere and they want to get Snyder moved up to see if he can move up her around August 1.

It seemed like a couple of days ago we read that Stockstill said he "had things to work on". He must have done a lot of work in the last few days! ;)

I actually hope this is not the case. I'd rather leave Snyder down to develop and get Pie some more playing time in Baltimore.

From Mike Miller's front page article:

Though his first base defense received the brunt of criticicm entering the season, Stockstill noted Snyder's overall improvement at the position while indicating that there is still room to grow.

“I think he’s made a lot of improvement," Stockstill said. "He’s gotten his feet under control better, he’s slowed down his actions. Where he still needs to continue to work is to work with his feet and keep his feet under him and not get too quick but he’s made outstanding progress with it.”

“I still think I have a long way to go but I’m making big strides and I think that’s what they’re looking for,” Snyder said. “I think I’ve shown enough lately to have the chance to go up and play.”

http://www.orioleshangout.com/article.asp?ID=2106

LOL..Was just talking about this in another thread...He had nothing left to prove in AA....This was the right move.

You were just talking about it in another thread!!;) Yes and Norfolk definitely needs a bat in their lineup!!!

It'll be time to move up Snyder when its time to move up Snyder, not when Norfolk needs another bat.

BTW, Mackus, I guess it was time :D

I'm working on Snyder's Tracker entry right now but I thought I'd tease you all with this quote from Stockstill regarding a possible September call-up:

"I think it’s better to talk to Andy [MacPhail] about anything to do with callups," Stockstill said. "But if Brandon Snyder goes up there and shows what he showed [in Bowie], then theres a lot of possibilities."

It's interesting that the O's have been so much more aggressive with their promotions this year compared to last year. You get a real sense that they are teeing things up to make a real push in 2010. There's no question now that Tillman, Hernandez, Arrieta, Patton and Snyder are all in the picture to make the club next spring or maybe a few weeks later for contract purposes. And can Matusz be far behind?

I'm enjoying watching Bergesen, Berken, Wieters and Reimold, but next year stacks up to be even more exciting. I can hardly wait!

Without a doubt there's a changed philosophy this year. Perhaps it has to do more with guys really doing well againstt here competition, but there's a mark change in mid-season promotions this year compared to the recent past since Stockstill took over.

I'm working on Snyder's Tracker entry right now but I thought I'd tease you all with this quote from Stockstill regarding a possible September call-up:

Anybody who is not a plus member is really missing out this year, BowieMike. Your reports there have been gold.

For the unwashed: after most Baysox games, BowieMike posts extensive quotes from the top prospects, the manager and the coaches about the players' progress. It's just too bad he won't have Patton, Arrieta and Snyder to write about anymore, but at least he's now got Matusz and Bascom to cover.

Ditto for Adam Vencill and the Keys prospects, by the way.

If plus membership got you nothing other than this, it would still be worth it.

Anybody who is not a plus member is really missing out this year, BowieMike. Your reports there have been gold.

For the unwashed: after most Baysox games, BowieMike posts extensive quotes from the top prospects, the manager and the coaches about the players' progress. It's just too bad he won't have Patton, Arrieta and Snyder to write about anymore, but at least he's now got Matusz and Bascom to cover.

Ditto for Adam Vencill and the Keys prospects, by the way.

If plus membership got you nothing other than this, it would still be worth it.

:agree:

Everyone should be a PLus Member to be able to read everything available.

BowieMike and AVencill have done an excellent job writing the post game reports.

I always look forward to reading their post, as well as their Updates and Articles on different players! :thumbsup1: :thumbsup1:

Archived