Orioles sign two Towson's Seniors

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/minors/blog/2009/06/towsons_helmick_stifler_sign_w.html

"Towson University players Gary Helmick and Jason Stifler recently signed with the Orioles, and both joined affiliates in the team's minor league system.

"We're very pleased that Gary and Jason are getting a chance to play professionally," Towson University coach Mike Gottlieb said in a statement. "This is a great opportunity for them and we know they will represent our university and our baseball program very well."

Helmick, an infielder who went to Northeast High in Anne Arundel County, was a first-team All-Colonial Athletic Conference selection as a senior in the spring. He is set to join the rookie-level Bluefield Orioles in the Appalachian League when their season begins next week.

The 5-foot-11, 185-pound infielder led the CAA with a .430 batting average. Helmick, who was selected as a third-team All-American by Louisville Slugger, set school records for base hits (98), triples (nine) and runs scored (72) in 2009.

Helmick also collected 12 doubles, and he led the team with 17 home runs and 51 RBIs this season. He hit for the cycle in a victory over Yale in March, becoming the fourth player in school history to accomplish the feat.

Stifler graduated from North Harford High, and he begins his professional career with the short-season Single-A Aberdeen IronBirds in the New York-Penn League.

The 6-foot-1, 215-pound catcher, who was the starter for the past two seasons, was named to the All-CAA third team as a junior in 2008. Stifler batted .266 with 12 home runs and 44 RBIs this season for the Tigers."

The most significant part of this entry is that Stifler went to my almamater, Nigh Harford High School. ;) Needless to say I'll be following his career closely and wishing him all the best.

I was shocked that Helmick didn't get drafted at all, especially a year after Towson grad Brian Conley was taken as high as he was. Helmick is a superior defensive infielder to Conley (not great, but good), didn't have the same power, but hit for a strong average.

Helmick could be a surprise at second base, where he played the majority of his college career. He moved to shortstop this season because the starting shortstop tore his ACL last summer.

Helmick has a very potent bat that will play well at second base. It doesn't make any sense why he's going to Bluefield and Stifler is heading to Aberdeen. The only thing I can figure is they don't consider either to be any form of legit prospect and Bluefield needed infield depth while Aberdeen could use a catcher for the next few months.

I'm actually a Towson student. I actually didin't go to a lot of games this year, but I've heard nothing but rave reviews for Hemlick. I was shocked he didn't get drafted as well. I asked one of my friends when Hemlick was going to be drafted(he's an avid baseball guy) and he said 5th round! Hemlick was a third team All American I believe.

As a TU alumnist, it is always exciting to hear when the Orioles draft or pick up talent from the Tigers.

By the way, to fellow Towson Alumni, does anyone remember, I think it was like 6 years back, when the university newspaper was thinking of a new name for Towson Athletics because of how generic the name "Tigers" is these days?

My favorite suggestion by the paper was the Towson "Fighting Squirrels." I have always thought that the "Towson Templars" would good.

But I digress...congrats to both Helmick and Stifler!

Archived