7/7 - O's @ M's... Can we solve Bedard?

The Rick

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, you read past the part that matters. The part you quoted is from an Approved Ruling about something very specific. Right before that Approved Ruling, it clearly says that what matters is where the runner is when the OF'er throws the ball.

I thought of that and you could be right. The comments aren't organized very well. But I don't think it was a part of the Approved Ruling. It appears that each paragraph in the comment is a new section of the comment. For instance, the paragraph btw the Approved Ruling defines "when the wild throw was made," which would appear to apply to the whole rule. Thus, anything after that I take as a comment that applies to the rule as a whole.

The Approved Ruling you quoted from is about what happens when a baserunner holds up because he thinks the ball might be caught, and the batter catches up to him so they're both between the same 2 bases. That's where it's a judgment call about where the hitter was...

Also, that's not what the Approved Ruling has to do with. That's what the first comment is about.

I think we've found a new nickname for MM.

:rofl:

I mentioned that on MM t-shirt night when I asked if it said

MORA

E5

on the back.

rshack gives me grief for calling Mora E5, but it's all in good fun. I've lots of respect for what Melvin has done for the Orioles.

Matusz being studly, as usual. :clap3:

I thought of that and you could be right. The comments aren't organized very well. But I don't think it was a part of the Approved Ruling. It appears that each paragraph in the comment is a new section of the comment. For instance, the paragraph btw the Approved Ruling defines "when the wild throw was made," which would appear to apply to the whole rule. Thus, anything after that I take as a comment that applies to the rule as a whole.

Also, that's not what the Approved Ruling has to do with. That's what the first comment is about.

The rules aren't exactly written badly, but they could be better organized to remove confusion.

If you read them a while, you can catch on. But I agree they could be improved, in terms of the writing.

However, at least a normal person can make sense of them. With football rules, it's downright impossible. I know a guy who's a Div-1 white-hat Ref, and when something happens I don't understand, I ask him. Without translation into plain English, it's freakin' impossible to grok football rules. And the TV guys and even the coaches who are talking heads don't know them. Being a football Ref is like having a Masters Degree in Rules...

:rofl:

I mentioned that on MM t-shirt night when I asked if it said

MORA

E5

on the back.

rshack gives me grief for calling Mora E5, but it's all in good fun. I've lots of respect for what Melvin has done for the Orioles.

I think we all do. But, E5 is too funny. :laughlol:

Archived