Signings update from Roch

I dunno who itll be, but I dont think its gonna be any of the top 10 guys, though I wish it was. The roster move thats coming today, I wonder what its gonna be. Is this the dreaded move that may exclude one of Andino, Salazaar or Pie?

Back to the topic, I wish we'd hurry and sign some of these HS arms like Henry, Tolliver, Wirsh or Cowan...

Total speculation, but I wonder if Givens signing is hinging on Sano. 0.01% chance - I know, but if Sano falls through, perhaps we get a little more interested in having Givens signed and on board...

My guess is the Givens signing is probably more contingent on the kid and his agent understanding where he was drafted on merit and the $ he should sign for.

JJ is usually pretty fair with the $ with these kids generally. Givens will need to see other kids drafted around him receive slot-like $ and he'll likely fall in line.m

Per markpolis from draft day.... I like this pick a lot. Glad to see what got him signed. I'm curious if and how much overslot it took.

JAKE COWAN, RHP, SAN JACINTO JC

Despite a bout with elbow tendinitis that sidelined him for four weeks and cost him some sharpness on his pitches, Cowan has been plenty effective. He threw a complete-game one-hitter against Panola (Texas) JC in the regional playoffs, helping San Jacinto reach the Junior College World Series for the sixth time in the last eight seasons, then fanned 13 to beat Santa Fe (Fla.) JC as the Gators finished third in the nation. A 14th-round pick out of a Georgia high school by the Red Sox in 2007, Cowan spent 2008 at Virginia before transferring to San Jac. He worked with a low-90s fastball, but his arm problems have left him with a high-80s heater for much of the spring. An MRI revealed no structural damage, and Cowan should regain velocity once he fully recovers. There's also room for projection on his 6-foot-3, 175-pound frame. Cowan doesn't need to overpower hitters because the late boring action on his fastball makes it tough to square up, and he mixes four offerings. His slider is a low-80s strikeout pitch at its best, and he does a nice job of maintaining his arm speed when he throws his changeup, which has good fade and sink. His curveball is his fourth-best pitch, and it has some lost some velocity and tilt this spring, but it's still an effective offering. He has a clean delivery, so when he's 100 percent he can throw all four pitches for strikes. He also draws praise for his ability to compete without his best stuff. Cowan looked like a potential second-rounder in the fall. Though he's now more of a fourth- to sixth-rounder and has committed to Texas, he's still considered signable.

The bold italics are my favorite parts. He was a 2nd rounder that was going to drop to 4th-6th due to injury concerns and we got him in the 10th.

Per markpolis from draft day.... I like this pick a lot. Glad to see what got him signed. I'm curious if and how much overslot it took.

The bold italics are my favorite parts. He was a 2nd rounder that was going to drop to 4th-6th due to injury concerns and we got him in the 10th.

Looks like we might have gotten a steal if he can get his velocity back into the 90's

Yes, I love this pick. He hopefully will regain that arm strength, there really is no reason for him not to, plus he is a projectable HS arm with more room to gain velocity. He has command of 4 pitches and sounds like atleast 3 are quality. Definately an awesome pick. Even though JJ didnt pick the sexy names, I think these value pick kids he took (Cowan, Henry, Tolliver and Wirsh) will end up surprising a lot of people here, much like Caleb Joseph came out of nowhere.....

Looks like we might have gotten a steal if he can get his velocity back into the 90's

Very much a steal. If you look at our entire draft, it is scattered with picks like this. Kids who dealt with injruies in their seasons which hurt their draft stock enabling us to draft the kids in later rounds. The scouting report on this kid sounds like what Matusz's scouting reports might have said coming out of HS(Though hes coming out of JC)....

Yes, I love this pick. He hopefully will regain that arm strength, there really is no reason for him not to, plus he is a projectable HS arm with more room to gain velocity. He has command of 4 pitches and sounds like atleast 3 are quality. Definately an awesome pick. Even though JJ didnt pick the sexy names, I think these value pick kids he took (Cowan, Henry, Tolliver and Wirsh) will end up surprising a lot of people here, much like Caleb Joseph came out of nowhere.....

Very much a steal. If you look at our entire draft, it is scattered with picks like this. Kids who dealt with injruies in their seasons which hurt their draft stock enabling us to draft the kids in later rounds. The scouting report on this kid sounds like what Matusz's scouting reports might have said coming out of HS(Though hes coming out of JC)....

To be fair, Jordan can make these picks while still grabbing a "sexier" name in the top 10 rounds. But I generally agree with you.

Also, Joseph may have been unknown around the boards but he was a well thought-of bat at Lipscomb and was generally considered a 4th- to 8th-round talent.

To be fair, Jordan can make these picks while still grabbing a "sexier" name in the top 10 rounds. But I generally agree with you.

Also, Joseph may have been unknown around the boards but he was a well thought-of bat at Lipscomb and was generally considered a 4th- to 8th-round talent.

Yes, you may have known about him, and he was a well known bat. I remember hearing that he was voted something along the lines of "Most Feared Hitter" in his conference. But regardless, he is hitting better than his draft slot would suggest IMO. That is what I emant by when I said he took us by surprise. I dont know of anyone who was expecting him to have a breakout year similar to the one he is having this year....

Yes, you may have known about him, and he was a well known bat. I remember hearing that he was voted something along the lines of "Most Feared Hitter" in his conference. But regardless, he is hitting better than his draft slot would suggest IMO. That is what I emant by when I said he took us by surprise. I dont know of anyone who was expecting him to have a breakout year similar to the one he is having this year....

Yeah, he's having a really good year. I think AA will be a better measuring stick - while Lipscomb doesn't have the most challenging of schedules he showed a solid ability to hang with good college talent. I'm curious to see, in particular, how his play behind the plate holds up. It looks like reports around here are that he's improving as a receiver. I haven't seen anything regarding his POP times -- his ability to control the running game will be a big consideration in whether or not he sticks behind home, and it was a concern around draft time.

If Cowan has already had injuries to his forearm/elbow, that would be a reason for him to not regain his velocity. Hopefully future adjustments can be made to prevent this problem as he develops, as it sounds like Cowan has promise. Also, Cowan's not a projectable HS arm anymore, he was an '07 draftee who has now has 2 years of JC experience.

Anyway, I really hope we can get most of these guys wrapped up in the next six weeks. I'd like to see all the pitchers in the top 10 signed (although I'm not overly concerned if Berry walks) and I hope we make serious runs at a few positional talents. Outside of Givens and Harris, I hope we sign Michael Ohlman, Kyle Hoppy, and Texas A&M signee Tyler Naquin. Should be interesting to follow in the coming weeks.

If Cowan has already had injuries to his forearm/elbow, that would be a reason for him to not regain his velocity. Hopefully future adjustments can be made to prevent this problem as he develops, as it sounds like Cowan has promise. Also, Cowan's not a projectable HS arm anymore, he was an '07 draftee who has now has 2 years of JC experience.

Anyway, I really hope we can get most of these guys wrapped up in the next six weeks. I'd like to see all the pitchers in the top 10 signed (although I'm not overly concerned if Berry walks) and I hope we make serious runs at a few positional talents. Outside of Givens and Harris, I hope we sign Michael Ohlman, Kyle Hoppy, and Texas A&M signee Tyler Naquin. Should be interesting to follow in the coming weeks.

He had tendonitis. You can have a clean and smooth delivery and still get tendonitis. And on top of that, its not a serious injury to the point of which you dont gain your velo back from. All it is is an inflamed tendon, something that occurs with overuse, or not necessarily even overuse, just pitching normally can cause tendonitis. I have had tendonitis in maultiple parts in my arm when I used to pitch....

And he still is projectable, he still has room in his frame to add more weight and gain more velo. You dont have to be in HS, some people develop later than others.

I agree with you on signing the top 10 pitchers aside from Berry. Id like to have Berry, but I wouldnt lose any sleep over it if we ended up not signing him. He doesnt seem much different than Berken.....

Archived