Matusz start tonight...Game delayed?

Sports Guy

That would have been an epic showdown. I bet we dont see that showdown this year though. Apparently Matusz is getting close to being shutdown.....

Where are you hearing that? Based on Stockton's comments that it's generally OK for pitchers to throw 25-30 innings more than they threw they year before, I'd expect Matusz go throw about 3-4 more games and call it a year. I wouldn't be surprised if the O's started spacing out his starts a little further apart, rather than just going every 5 days and then shutting him down in the middle of August. But we'll see.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where are you hearing that? Based on Stockton's comments that it's generally OK for pitchers to throw 25-30 innings more than they threw they year before, I'd expect Matusz go throw about 3-4 more games and call it a year. I wouldn't be surprised if the O's started spacing out his starts a little further apart, rather than just going every 5 days and then shutting him down in the middle of August. But we'll see.

I wanna say over at projectprospect but I do not remember completely. The guy said that Matusz will be shutdown in August and will skip another start to get him pitching a bit deeper into the season. This may be why he wont be promoted to Noroflk, but then again, Tillman's promotion may make Matusz be promoted anyway. The O's brass want Noroflk to atleast go to the playoffs, and even if Matusz gets just 5 or 6 starts there, it would help them reac the playoffs to give that winning atmosphere to the team and its players(and prospects)

I read in the Bowie notes that Bumgarner goes tonite against Liz.

Yeah, that is what I was saying, if Matusz would have been pushed back one more day or Bumgarner been pushed up somewhere along the line we would have had them squaring off.

Id love for someone to explain to me how someone without any viable secondary pitches is rated the best pitcher in the MiLB? Im not a MadBum hater, but I just dont get how he can be ranked so highly, regardless of his #'s.

His fastball is plus-plus, his control is plus, and his curve and slider have come a long way, I'd give them above average right now, but that's without seeing them in person, so I don't know exactly how good they are. His change is behind the other 3 but it's there, and when you have 2 average-above average pitches and a plus-plus fastball you are going to be good.

That and he's got that tenacity and poise that you look for in an ace.

His fastball is plus-plus, his control is plus, and his curve and slider have come a long way, I'd give them above average right now, but that's without seeing them in person, so I don't know exactly how good they are. His change is behind the other 3 but it's there, and when you have 2 average-above average pitches and a plus-plus fastball you are going to be good.

That and he's got that tenacity and poise that you look for in an ace.

From all reports that I had read, last year around this time, it was said that he had a "rapidly developing breaking ball". Then upon further review from the same prospect site, said that his secondaries havent come along as far as expected. This is why I felt the way that I did about him.....

From all reports that I had read, last year around this time, it was said that he had a "rapidly developing breaking ball". Then upon further review from the same prospect site, said that his secondaries havent come along as far as expected. This is why I felt the way that I did about him.....

Can't be too in-depth of a scouting report if it mentions a breaking ball, but not which one, and nothing specific you know? From what I've seen and heard, his slider and curve have really improved, the change is further behind, and the fastball is as good as advertised. I'd tell you myself, but I'm not going to Bowie again until Thursday.

Can't be too in-depth of a scouting report if it mentions a breaking ball, but not which one, and nothing specific you know? From what I've seen and heard, his slider and curve have really improved, the change is further behind, and the fastball is as good as advertised. I'd tell you myself, but I'm not going to Bowie again until Thursday.

The reason I said breaking ball was because I was busy at work and didnt have time to search where I saw it at. I wanna say curve ball, but Im not sure. I wanna see him pitch in person, but Ill never catch a chance....

The reason I said breaking ball was because I was busy at work and didnt have time to search where I saw it at. I wanna say curve ball, but Im not sure. I wanna see him pitch in person, but Ill never catch a chance....

Read Bowie Mike's, Tony's, Crazysilver, (Last but not least!)allstar1579,take on him its grade A in the prospects tracker forum.

Archived