I don't want to say anything but.....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm certainly not rooting for this to happen and would like to see us win games the rest of the year.

But if not Stephen Strasburg or Bryce Harper is a nice consolation prize. That's all I'm saying.

And BTW, I'd give the Nats about a 10% chance right now to sign Strasburg.

If I were Strasburg you couldn't pay me to sign with the Gnats.:laughlol:

And it is true that supporting tanking, especially when it comes to the baseball draft, is...I honestly can't find a word for how bad I think it is.

The OP mentioned nothing about that...

As a mod, it's not my place to debate it, but rather be sure that his views are not trolled. I hope you understand that.

I'm not saying they should tank but it would be nice to get the 1st pick. To get something for going through all this losing.

The Orioles get "something for going through all this losing" every single day: more knowledge about the inventory on hand; who has it, who doesn't, who is here for the long haul and who is merely cannon fodder. With this front office no game--won or lost--is wasted. It's more information for the database. The entertainment value of these losses is low. The information value--both for the front office and the individual players--is much higher.

If we end up with Strasburg or Harper, it means that none of our young talent developed at all. So, no, I very seriously hope we are not in the bottom two or three at the end of the year.

I think we end up right where we were this year. 5th.

MacPhail seemed to be completely against Crow this year (I think I remember reading something about it at least...). I can't imagine he would go after a guy that is looking for AT LEAST double what Weiters got a few years ago. He is a "value" guy and it wouldn't be likely that Strasburg would fit the bill. I guess JJ makes the picks, but Angelos would need to give the go ahead...if he's really tired of losing he should.

I'm not saying they should tank but it would be nice to get the 1st pick. To get something for going through all this losing.

The whole idea is absurd. Strasburg will get signed because Japan won't touch him and now he can't get back on his college team. It would be an embarassment for him to turn down record money in hopes of coming back the following year to get record money. It would be embarassing for the Nats to not sign him which is why they will offer record money.

As far as Harper goes, he's not a "once-in-a-lifetime" talent. There's been a bunch of writers who have downplayed the attention SI gave to the kid. Yes, he has hit long metal bat home runs, but he is not so other worldly that he's a lock. He's probably going number one, but he's not Strasburg level.

The NBA catches hell every year for certain teams "tanking" towards the end to get a better lottery pick. Even the suggestion of keeping track of the losses with hopes that they lead to a better draft pick is borderline inappropriate.

This is not the NBA or NFL where one pick is going to drastically change your team. Harper (or Strasburg for that matter) still has to get through the minors unscathed to make any type of impact and there's no guarantees when they do reach that they are dominant.

Last point, fan graphs had a great article about 2 of the worst teams in baseball: Nationals and Royals. It talked about how the Nationals have been playing near .500 baseball since the break while the Royals have tanked enough that at the current pace they would have the worst record in baseball by one game.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/washington-not-the-worst

:skeletor:

The top offensive college prospect, at this point, in the draft is Bryce Brentz out of Middle Tennessee State. Last year .465/.541/.930. Too bad he's in the OF. No real top of the line 1b prospects have been identified for the 2010 draft, unless you'd want to convert Yasmani Grandal, out of Miami, to 1b from C.

Do we really want the 1st overall pick? More than likely the player will holdout to the deadline and kill our draft budget. And then there is no evidence to suggest the #1 pick is a sure thing. I'd much rather pick a slot signing at #4 or 5 and then go over-slot with one of our #2 picks (if Givens doesn't sign).

If we end up with Strasburg or Harper, it means that none of our young talent developed at all. So, no, I very seriously hope we are not in the bottom two or three at the end of the year.

Not necessarily. Tampa Bay was the worst team in 2007, had the number 1 pick in 2008, and wound up in the World Series in 2008.

I think even while we're losing this year, we are starting to see the development of our young talent. I don't want to see us lose but having a top pick for next year doesn't mean that our young talent isn't progressing. Look at Reimold, Bergensen, Jones, Wieters, Tillman, Matusz, etc. Even though the sum of their efforts isn't equating wins right now, I think we're still seeing some progress this year.

As far as Harper goes, he's not a "once-in-a-lifetime" talent. There's been a bunch of writers who have downplayed the attention SI gave to the kid. Yes, he has hit long metal bat home runs, but he is not so other worldly that he's a lock. He's probably going number one, but he's not Strasburg level.

I'm not going to argue whether or not he will ever rise through the ranks unscathed, because that's certainly possible for anyone, but if you haven't seen this kid hit - with a wood bat, by the way - then you haven't seen 80 scouts/area supervisors/scouting directors drool all over themselves in awe, which is what happened when Harper showed up a year ago at an MLB scouting bureau workout and proceeded to hit complete bombs while making beeline sub 2.00 throws down to second. I've seen him play on three occasions and he's absolutely legitimate. He has great plate discipline and a rocket arm, and in my opinion, he's certainly on track to being a "Strasburg-level" counterpart, both behind and at the plate. He's also a polite young man with a good attitude about the game and his fellow ballplayers. Works for me. I wish him all the best and look forward to watching him develop over the years.

Archived